Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2021, 04:09 PM   #1

Schwintek slides-I really feel they are garbage

I have a Sunseeker 2400R with two slides, Dinette and Rear bed. I have problems with rear slide going in and out. It keeps binding. I know about the resync procedures by holding the wall switch until the motors come to a complete stop. The motors seems very touchy and go out of sync easily. I have replaced one motors on each slides. Are these slides just underpowered or a bad design? I wonder if this is a industry wide problem with the Schwintek slide motors. I'm heading to the shop again to have them fixed.

Bruce Bollert
brucebollert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 05:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucebollert View Post
I have a Sunseeker 2400R with two slides, Dinette and Rear bed. I have problems with rear slide going in and out. It keeps binding. I know about the resync procedures by holding the wall switch until the motors come to a complete stop. The motors seems very touchy and go out of sync easily. I have replaced one motors on each slides. Are these slides just underpowered or a bad design? I wonder if this is a industry wide problem with the Schwintek slide motors. I'm heading to the shop again to have them fixed.

Bruce Bollert
Bruce,

We had some problems with our bed slide. I feared the motors might have come loose in our wall, but our dealer said that it was just out of sync. The faulty temporary use until we got home required that one of us push the weak side to get it to track right. The slide motors sounded ok otherwise.

The dealer re-synchronized them and suggested that the cause of de-synchronization is often just weak batteries. We haven't tried them yet since the cold winter repair, but I'll be making sure the 110v shore, engine or genny power is running or on first from now on.

The original problem is quite possible since we ran our batteries quite low (too low) while primitive camping without shore power and I neither had the generator running, nor the mini-home engine, either of which would have ostensibly boosted available 12v current for the fairly heavy draw of slides. I remember my thinking was that the hard-hit batteries would soon charge up anyway as we left the campsite. Duh.

Another thought. If the power is a long run from the battery(s), it might pay to check volts at the rear when the slide is powered on. A low voltage measurement could mean that insufficient wire size and extra length is causing too large a voltage drop and starving these power-hungry motors. That goes for me too, since I also had trouble at the rear.

Good luck with your RV.

Wes
Wes Tausend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:29 PM   #3

For what it is worth, when we picked up our Surveyor the demo person instructed us to fully open or close the slide, no short cycles, no stopping and restarting.
2016 Vengeance 29V Sold
FrankG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:07 AM   #4

I had so mutch problem with it now i do not do short cycle and i use it only on fully charge battry or with generator or shore line on.
To reset it try to moved it open or close just before the problem occurs and stop then return it could take a couple of shut..
Once the slide-out was dancing one side open then when i try to close it the other side open so i was not able to clesed it or open it it was jerking. I found the cervo bolted in the compartment under the slide out and i disconnected one side and then i tried to closed it. I had to find the right wire to disconnect. I have been to solve the problem then i reset it.
Shickshack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:17 AM   #5
Fully COVID-19 vaccinated

I hated my slides so much that I opted for no slides in my new trailer. Yes, it's a bit more cramped inside but it's well worth it to be rid of that headache.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:19 AM   #6

I guess that I am just lucky but I have never had any issues with mine.....hope that that continues.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:45 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Our 2012 Rockwood 2703 SS the Superslide was Schwintk. First trip jammed and no way to sync them as the one side quit. Managaed to get it out. Dealer rebuilt the whole slide box and fixed all the pinch points. This slide continued to cause issues and we traded a year later for a fifth wheel and cut our losses.

Our Landmark Madde by Heartland has a double slide in slide with Schweintek that works just fine. Alignment is key and the dressing of wiring harness is important to prevent stress on the connectors.

I would take it back till it works right. FR has issues understanding ho this system is suppose to work with some brands.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Our 2012 Rockwood 2703 SS the Superslide was Schwintk. First trip jammed and no way to sync them as the one side quit. Managaed to get it out. Dealer rebuilt the whole slide box and fixed all the pinch points. This slide continued to cause issues and we traded a year later for a fifth wheel and cut our losses.

Our Landmark Madde by Heartland has a double slide in slide with Schweintek that works just fine. Alignment is key and the dressing of wiring harness is important to prevent stress on the connectors.

I would take it back till it works right. FR has issues understanding ho this system is suppose to work with some brands.

I believe the owners manual states that the slides should only be operated on shore power only.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Circus View Post
I believe the owners manual states that the slides should only be operated on shore power only.

Just read the manual.
It states the slide can be operated with as little as 8vdc. If lower than that a generator or shore power is required.
I found no reference stating to operate on shore power only.
Old 05-12-2021, 02:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesptr View Post
Just read the manual.
It states the slide can be operated with as little as 8vdc. If lower than that a generator or shore power is required.
I found no reference stating to operate on shore power only.
I can believe that they'll turn at lower voltage. But they'd have to be on some pretty slippery rollers. When we assisted by pushing one side in, like I mentioned above, it was demanding work.

If things don't go smoothly, the motor will began to stall and the current will go up to compensate. These motors are about the size of a small engine starter. High current couldn't be good for them. Any stall may act as almost a dead short causing the voltage drop over long wires to drop well below 8v. I wonder if the solid state electronics in these things doesn't drop below a thresh-hold of operation and make them forget where they were?

My guess is that it is always the slides the furthest away from the batteries that suffer the biggest voltage drop. If so, a fix might be to add one more parallel hot wire of similar gauge that would then carry twice the current added together with the original, hopefully without dropping too much voltage anymore. There should be a good ground nearby that doesn't have much loss in current-carrying ability through the frame. Do the slide switches connect to full power wires or just solenoid/solid-state signal wires?

The other fix would be simply to be adding more voltage and power by the engine, genny or converter shore power. Higher voltage will carry more current through a small, long, wire if that is the problem. That's why power companies boost line voltage... to carry more power.

That seems implied. Eight volts of battery power without a load would mean a very dead battery, and to suggest 8v from 13v while running is to say a big drop occurs.

Wes
Wes Tausend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 09:21 AM   #11

I've never had issues with the shorter of my two Schwintek slides, but the larger slide has always been problematic. I'm not sure, but I suspect the RV mfgr. overloaded that slide (long L-shaped sofa w/recliner). Burned out one motor, same side motor jumps the attachment point, and it operates at a snails pace by comparison. I recall there is a more powerful motor replacement, but both have to be replaced at the same time. OP might want to look into that.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:40 PM   #12

I have not read about the low voltage as 8 volts. But i could say by experience when i arrive at capmground the battry are fully load and i do not have any and or never had any problem at that point but after one or two day without generator or shore line the problem occurs. So since i start the generator or connect to a shore line to retract the slide out i have no problem.
Let say i got two 12 volts battery and their dead at 10 volts not at 8...
So i had always had more than 10 volts when the problem occurs.
I know that when the generators is working it does not go higher than 13,6 volts. All battery equipment can take it to work properly.
The motor are a lot smaller than a small starter they have to fit inside the thickness of the wall.
Let say that my slide out is the long one on the side it includes the bed the storage and the dining room.
Shickshack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:51 PM   #13
Site Team

We have learned to operate our Schwintek slides when plugged in if at all possible. Once upon a time I blew a fuse closing a slide on battery power. They might have been old batteries and it might have been home in my driveway, it's been a while....
we just wait at the CG until I've got us plugged in to open the slide. It also helps me as the slide is often a walk around obstacle and plugging in first is just easier.
I'm not saying that doing that is the end all fix all for these slides!
Ours works.
I say a little prayer every time we push that button and it seems to help!
4+ years and easily been to the 4 corners of the US. We're happy so far!
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-42
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:31 AM   #14

Trailer Roulette

I call it Trailer Roulette. Every time I plan a trip, I pray that everything works. These trailers are absolute garbage but I keep repairing. Some day, I will break my camping habit.
obxfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:13 AM   #15

Remember the old and very true saying..."you only get what you pay for".
Old 05-18-2021, 10:11 AM   #16
Fully COVID-19 vaccinated

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMark View Post
Remember the old and very true saying..."you only get what you pay for".
Not always true.

My ex wife cost me a fortune but isn't worth the paper her birth certificate is printed on.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 03:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Not always true.

My ex wife cost me a fortune but isn't worth the paper her birth certificate is printed on.
True. Thing with an RV is you at least can get something on the trade-in.

Had a friend who had a couple marriages behind him say the next time he's just going to find a woman he can't stand and buy her a house. Same result but cheaper than marriage.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide