Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2017, 01:11 PM   #1

Question Seasonal Camper n Slide out question

We are picking up our Sierra 360 PDEK this Saturday. Being a newbie, I was wondering if since I am going to have the slides out for a long while before moving again, if I should have some kind of support for at least the kitchen slide with the residential refrigerator in it. If I should, any ideas of what I should use?
Thanks..
gamtnbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:34 PM   #2
Site Team

Definitely no.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:46 PM   #3
Site Team

RV manufacturers expressly warn against using them.
If you choose to, it will void your warranty.
slide out supports are leftovers from the early days of slideouts, when the technology was new.
modern slideouts shouldn't need them.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
RV manufacturers expressly warn against using them.
If you choose to, it will void your warranty.
slide out supports are leftovers from the early days of slideouts, when the technology was new.
modern slideouts shouldn't need them.

Is there any documentation that shows the warranty will be void of a slide out support is used?
phln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:01 AM   #5

Like others have said don't use them. We have been seasonal for 9 years, our slides are out from April 15 thru Oct 15 and have never had a problem.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:05 AM   #6

A slide topper to keep debris off during long term use would be my only recommendation.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:10 AM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Slide outs are designed and manufactured to support the weight in them when fully extended without the use of supports.

If they weren't, every unit that had slides would come with something to place under them once out.

You can make your own choices but with the possibility of a tire going low or tires settling in the ground, I would never use supports as movement of the trailer from the afore mentioned, would damage the slide if supports were in place.

The ONLY way I could ever reason using slide supports was if my unit was on a permanent concrete slab site and the frame supported on perimeter blocking.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:45 PM   #8

Thanks

I am glad I found this forum!! Thanks for the replies and quick responses! Just got the call the 5er is at the dealer waiting for us this Saturday!!
gamtnbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:31 PM   #9

When you get your RV watch closely as you slide out your slide outs. If you look closely around the edges it is usually a box that slides through a hole in the side of the RV. In order for it to work properly and seal once it is out the box has to fit the hole in the RV and not tilt. If you use braces under the slide out box, it could tilt as your RV changes position while parked (due to people being in it, wind, ground, etc.) if braces push up on it from outside the unit. This can cause leaks, and create pressure on parts of the slide out and cause them to fail. As was said before, don't do it! (It is tempting, though, but, don't.) Do make sure your unit is level after the slide outs are deployed, though. If not, note how much it is off, bring in the slide outs and raise the appropriate wheel(s) to get it level. Note how far off the level indicator is when the slides are "in" and set up the next time accordingly. Then when you deploy the slides you should be level (side to side). If the slides are equally balanced you may not even have the problem. We did because all the slides are only on one side of our unit. Hope you enjoy your new RV and have many years of great camping.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:05 PM   #10

Remember to level first, deploy stabilizers and x-chocks (if using, highly recommended x-chocks to stabilize)and then deploy slide-outs. Deploying slides before leveling and stabilizing can create a situation where the slides aren't sealed properly, or rather become unsealed due to the movement of leveling, and may leak in the rain. Additionally, depending on the amount of leveling adjustment, they may not be "square" when retracting and create some unnecessary torque or binding.
I agree with ProfChuck above to recheck if level after slide are deployed, and if not retract, adjust, and redeploy.
Finally, remember if deployed out last, then retract in first.
Enjoy!
ablindmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, slide, slide out