Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2017, 06:54 PM   #1

shaft bolt broke on sofa slide Rockwood Mini Lite

While camping this weekend, our slide started going out then stopped. I determined the bolt which attaches the motor shaft to a square metal tube broke off. Luckily I had a stove bolt which I put in so we could operate the slide. (Really tight spot to work in, under sofa). Does anyone know if this is a special shear bolt, like an auger on a snow blower? If so do you have a part number?

Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
Milkman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:11 AM   #2
Site Team

It's just a standard grade 2 or grade 5 bolt. You don't a very hard bolt as it'll break the shaft off before it shears. I'd use grade 2 unless it shears regularly and you know the room isn't binding.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:35 PM   #3

Smile Found Bolt for Slide

Thanks to Bama Rambler; who led me down the right path. He talked about grades of bolts. I went on line and looked up different grades of bolts. The bolt that sheared has 6 lines and on the head plus "FNL" , which I think is Fastenal bolt supplier. I went to local Fastenal and verified it was a grade 8 bolt plus it was yellow in colour. They would not sell because I am not a business, but down the road at the local farm tractor dealer. I was able to buy it along with proper nuts. I picked up three for $2.00 Canadian, good deal.

Problem Solved
Milkman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:02 PM   #4

I worked for Fastenal for a few years after retiring from another job. "FNL" would be a common identifier for a Fastenal branded bolt. The yellow color is a "Chromatic" plating for rust protection. I have never seen a customer turned away because they were not a business. The only thing that prevented us from selling one of any item was IF Fastenal had it designated as "package quantity only" which meant you would maybe have to buy a pack of ten (10) or other quantities according to the fastener sizing.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lite, rockwood, rockwood mini lite, slide