Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2010, 07:42 PM   #1

Sheared Bolt on Slide Out

My problem came up on another thread. I posted a pic to help some one Identify the tool and the motor for the slide out incase they had no power, they wanted to know now to operate the slide out. After I posted the pic Chevey02 noticed that I had a sheared bolt on my slide out right on the shaft of the motor. Well today I installed four new bolts #8's, I was not able to get stainless steel. After installing the new bolts I operated the slide out with the hand crank so that I could inspect all of the moving part, I turn the crank and made three revolutions the next thing I knew, I heard a pop and one of the new bolts snaped and shot out about three feet just missing my head, I stop and came in the house and called the service department the camper is going in to the shop tomorrow morning. I installed one of the old bolts and handled the slide out with TLC intil the slide out was completely in. I posted pic of the bolts but sorry they are fuzzy. The bolt on the top is the new one, and the last one at the bottom is the one that snaped the first time that Chevy02 saw. There was another member that replied as will and had explained that he had the same problem and he gave me some added advise, I am sorry at this point I can not remember the screen name, but I would like to thank both of them for bring this up I could have had a real mess on my hands with a jamed slide out.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2732.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	2293  
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:17 PM   #2

Did you try the hardened bolts they are kinda bronzeish looking if that even a word
Old 03-19-2010, 12:56 AM   #3

Here ya go.
http://rocky06fs.forumco.com/topic~TOPIC_ID~680.asp

Don't use stainless steel bolts in this application. They have very poor tensile strength. You need to use grade 8 bolts.

John U

BTW I have had no more bolt problems since I applied this fix.
2010 Born Free 22RSK
midnightpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy02 View Post
Did you try the hardened bolts they are kinda bronzeish looking if that even a word
Yes, it is a #8, and it was a bronzeish in color 6 marks on the head of the bolt. The pic I posted of the bolts was bad. I toke the camper to the shop early this morning and I am waiting to hear what they find. Like I said, they had to make adjustments to the slide out last Spring but the slide out was not operated that much because we were on a seasonal site. I have had some problem over time with the left side of my camper, I had to take it in for warrenty work when I first bought the camper, the brakes on the left side kept locking up and damage the brake shoes, while they were changing out the shoes the dropped my camper off of the jack and the camper bottom must have come down on top of the jack and damaged the under bell and they had to replace the power jack. The front of the camper was not attached to a hitch on a vehicle, it was on the ground and when the camper was jacked up it slid off of the jack. I can't say if this has anything to do with anything, but It makes me wonder.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
Knower of Some Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightpumpkin View Post
Here ya go.
http://rocky06fs.forumco.com/topic~TOPIC_ID~680.asp

Don't use stainless steel bolts in this application. They have very poor tensile strength. You need to use grade 8 bolts.

John U

BTW I have had no more bolt problems since I applied this fix.
I found grade 5 to work better. There is some play in the shaft, and that play tends the hard-but-brittle grade 8 to break. The grade 5 will flex a little. All trailer hitches use grade 5 also, believe it or not. Each has 3 marks on the head.
PumaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:38 PM   #6

HMMM grade 5 i will have to give that a try also