Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2019, 10:19 PM   #1
Newbie Trailer Camper!

Single Slide Moves VERY Slowly

We have a 2014 FR Evo T2850 with a single slide for the couch and dining table areas. We bought it 2 years ago and the slide has been very slow (at least I think it's slow) from day 1. Doesn't matter if we are running it from battery power or plugged in. It seems to take probably close to 2 minutes to fully extend or retract.

Is this normal? Camping with my buddy, it seems his slide went out and in easily in half the amount of time. Is there something I can check for binding or can I upgrade the slide motors? I know nothing about how it works, other than seeing the motors on giant screw lines underneath. Thanks for any help!
onecrazyfoo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:50 AM   #2
Newbie Trailer Camper!

No ideas on what to check or how to speed my slide up?
Old 05-09-2019, 08:55 AM   #3
Site Team

My guess is that it's a LCI thru-frame slide. But it could be something else.
Can you post a picture of the mechanism that you can see? That will help us identify it.

Have you ever lubed the mechanism? If not then I'd suggest that to begin with.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:04 AM   #4

When you look under the slide when extended do you see a shaft with gears on it and a pair of bars with gear teeth on the bottom. If so this is a Lippert slide and you could have lube issues with the pieces that retract into the frame.

These support the slide when out and if the lube has solidified at all (usually when contaminated with normal dust and aging) you will need to give it some attention.

Probably easiest way is to pick up a can of spray "Slide Lube" or other Dry Lube spray. Extend slide and generously spray the support bars, gear teeth, and support bushings for the "pinion" (shaft with round gears). With batteries charged and converter on run the slide in and out a couple times. Be sure to let it rest about 10 minutes when in or out so you don't overheat motor.

Repeat this process a couple times and if you see any dirty "grease" on the mechanism, wipe it off.

Another cause of slow slide operation could be loose connections along the way from battery to slide motor. On my trailer the slide is powered from a wire that starts at the main disconnect switch under the Propane tanks. I found this connection loose by my standards. If I can move the ring type connector on the stud with finger pressure it's too loose.

If you can, hook a multimeter to a power source connected directly to the battery (on my trailer there is a 12 v outlet about 4' from the slide switch) and watch the battery power when operating the slide. It should read over 13 volts before you hit the switch. If not the converter is not working. If it does, hit the switch and see how much the voltage drops. If it drops to less than 12 volts you may have a battery that's getting old. Could also be loose connections from Converter to Battery. If the latter is the case your batteries probably take forever to recharge if you run them down a lot.

As for a bad motor, usually if this is the case it will blow the fuse due to excessive current draw.

These are just possibilities if the clean and lube doesn't work.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:42 AM   #5
Newbie Trailer Camper!

Thank you for the posts! I'll get some pics of the setup when I get home. No idea what it would be called...but I remember it having two long threaded screws on each side that attach to the motors (looked similar to the stabilizer jacks I believe).

Speaking of grease, are there typically zerks to grease on travel trailers, or do you just hand wipe the grease on the screws, kind of the same as the stabilizer jacks? I saw you mentioned dry slide lube...why would you use that over regular type grease?

And great idea on the voltage monitor, I've got one on order now that plugs in to the 12V port under the TV...about the same as you, 4ft away from the slide operation switch.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:55 PM   #6
Newbie Trailer Camper!

Okay, here's some pics of under my slide. Looks like it's as you described, a gear on each side that runs along a track. Do you see any issues with the components? Does it just need a good lube you think? In the first pic it looks like the roller may be split...unless it's supposed to be like that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 rear.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	204212   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 rear.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	204213   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 front.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	204214   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 front.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	204215   Click image for larger version

Name:	5 front.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	204216  

Old 05-10-2019, 07:12 PM   #7
Site Team

That's a Lippert (LCI) Thru-Frame slide.
I'd try a good lubing to begin with.
Get some slide gear lube and be real generous with it. Lube the rack (toothy thing) and the channel. Run it on and out and lube it each time. Do that 3 or 4 times and it should help.

I will warn you that those slides are slow as a rule so don't expect too much speed increase, but you should see some improvement.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:23 PM   #8

all you can do is lube it up . new motor could run you as much as $800.00
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:33 PM   #9

Use the dry lube as everyone is saying on the gear and the gold tube that slides in and out- that’s where I get a screech noise from. I have your EXACT unit and when I start to retract it moves super slow then picks up speed and closes within 45 seconds.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide