Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2019, 08:49 PM   #1

Slide Issue/Wildcat - probably should have posted this here to begin with

I am sure this is a subject that has been beat to death already and I too have already used search feature but have about lost my mind, trying to find what I am looking for, so, as short as I can make it;

The kitchen slide seems a bit off. The top "slides" out further than the bottom. It shuts good and tight but open, looks off. Didn't think anything of it until this weekend doing some cleaning and pre-packing for next trip. I happened to look at the bottom of the slide from inside and noticed from floor on up about 18-24 inches, the slide does not make contact with inside bubble seal. It transitions upward and makes full contact. The opposing slide seems fine and seals tight when open. I also notice that while opening the kitchen slide, it "wobbles" until about halfway out. I just had not put 2 and 2 together until this past weekend. One trip as my wife was opening the slide, it just stopped. Wouldn't go in or out. Let it sit a few then tried to close it. Closed fine but then went to open and it made a loud bang/pop and looked as if it jumped but continued to open. That was many weeks ago. Just now noticing how it sits.

Any way to adjust this yourself? It's the rack and pinion type slide mechanism.

I haven't had any leaks with it....yet......Have not had a chance to take it to dealer yet since I just discovered it.

Warranty expires Sunday

Of course, I'd rather be camping
RolnThndrCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:00 PM   #2

If it is still under warranty, I'd be getting on the phone to explain the situation and to ensure it is covered even it you can't get in for repair before the warranty expires.
If you try and adjust it yourself, and it winds up being more than just an adjustment, then you will be on the hook for the cost of the repair.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
If it is still under warranty, I'd be getting on the phone to explain the situation and to ensure it is covered even it you can't get in for repair before the warranty expires.
If you try and adjust it yourself, and it winds up being more than just an adjustment, at least you won't have to pay for it.
well the problem with that is I have tried to contact Forest River on several occasions about other ongoing issues along with the dealer that was going to "fix" everything. I have yet to hear back from Forest River and after 8+ months of hounding the dealer, finally have a trip up there this weekend. Adding the slide to the list.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:17 PM   #4

This is exactly why I always use an independent service only RV shop. And yes, they do warranty work.
I know your warranty time constraint is the main issue, but an independent in the future might be worth looking into.
I've never had a problem getting ahold of FR, but I always called my particular division instead of the main number/email.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:45 AM   #5

Contacting Forest River

Quote:
This is exactly why I always use an independent service only RV shop. And yes, they do warranty work.
I know your warranty time constraint is the main issue, but an independent in the future might be worth looking into.
I've never had a problem getting ahold of FR, but I always called my particular division instead of the main number/email.
It's important for all of us to find out how to get action from Forest River ( like any consumer issue) so can you tell me , What is Particular Division at Forest River ? thank you
kelticdestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:53 AM   #6
Site Team

"Particular Division" is whichever division made your RV (Ours is Salem). Each division has their own structure (warranty, parts, sales, etc.) and you need to contact that Particular Divisions proper section to get proper service from them. There are "Contact US" links on each divisions website that you can access.

There's a list of the contact info for each division in the library here.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:47 PM   #7
Cardinal Customer Service

Forest River Contacts

I was following your conversation about contact info at Forest River. I looked at your link and found that in one case it is out of date. I work for the Cardinal division and neither person noted does at this time. I can get the proper information to update. Who can do the actual updating the library? Sorry - somewhat new to the forum.....
Anita Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 01:56 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita Carpenter View Post
I was following your conversation about contact info at Forest River. I looked at your link and found that in one case it is out of date. I work for the Cardinal division and neither person noted does at this time. I can get the proper information to update. Who can do the actual updating the library? Sorry - somewhat new to the forum.....
Anita, thanks for coming to the forum.
It's great to see more and more corporate folks hanging out here.

If you contact one of the mods/site admins, they will get the information corrected.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita Carpenter View Post
Well, if there is any direction you point me in, that would be great. This weekend my warranty expires....

Old 08-07-2019, 06:44 PM   #10

Quote:
If you try and adjust it yourself, and it winds up being more than just an adjustment, then you will be on the hook for the cost of the repair.
I agree 100%. The problem the OP describes is exactly what our Schwintek slide was doing. Eventually it failed completely to the tune of major repairs at the shop.
campingguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:48 PM   #11

I’m surprised no one has pushed for a class action lawsuit. I’m sure it would take a while but I’m sure we could get some of Warren Buffet’s money.
Okie Dokie 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:30 AM   #12

Well, sitting here at the dealership shop waiting for a diagnosis on the slide. Tech noticed something right away that I didn't see; a nut is loose on one of the slide shafts. May not be the entire issue but hopefully may be a simple fix....... maybe. While we were on the roo showing him the antenna base from where tree branch took out my antenna couple weeks ago, he noticed two tears I never saw. They are going to fix those as well. Just have to hurry up and wait.......

Old 08-12-2019, 12:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolnThndrCat View Post
Well, sitting here at the dealership shop waiting for a diagnosis on the slide. Tech noticed something right away that I didn't see; a nut is loose on one of the slide shafts. May not be the entire issue but hopefully may be a simple fix....... maybe. While we were on the roo showing him the antenna base from where tree branch took out my antenna couple weeks ago, he noticed two tears I never saw. They are going to fix those as well. Just have to hurry up and wait.......
Good luck and please keep us updated. It's always helpful to learn. Thanks!
Old 08-12-2019, 01:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingguy View Post
Good luck and please keep us updated. It's always helpful to learn. Thanks!
Actually, there were about 3 things wrong with the slide. First, the "arms" were out of sync. Second, the nut I mentioned that was loose did have a big part to do with it. My phone took a crap a while back so not able to take a picture of this "nut" and where it is at. As soon as I can get my wife's phone and email myself a pic, will do so. And third, one of the outer flanges which looks a bit like a decorative piece although serves a purpose for making a seal, was bent inwards towards the camper wall which was making the other side of the slide not sit and seal properly when retracted in.

They got the slide adjusted "best they could" but is FAR better than it was. All the bulb seals now make contact when open except for about a 2 inch section at bottom of one side when all the way out. Once they get the flange in, they should be able to get this small gap corrected.

I do feel better about it now, especially since we are leaving for a well deserved vacation. Here's to 10 days of (hopefully) R&R.

Old 08-24-2019, 08:34 AM   #15

Thanks for the update! Hope your vacation went well and the slide cooperated.

Tags
cat, slide, wildcat