Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2011, 08:02 PM   #1

Slide issues for Cherokee 285B + BS

I have a 2007 Cherokee 285B + BS 5th wheel, with 3 slides. I just purchased this in March and am really happy with the unit - I am now getting it ready for our first camping trip of the season. I have noticed an issue with the slides, maybe more so with the larger dining room/sofa slide, but its sometimes involves all three. When extracting or retracting the slides I will hear a "click" in the vacinity of the hydraulic pump, and the "movement" process (in or out) will stop, and then I can not longer complete the process. I must wait about 30-45 seconds, and then pressing the slide switch, the hydraulic pump will work normal again. Sometimes the slide will finish moving in or out (whichever the case may be) or it will "click" and stop again.

Also, when retracting the larger dining table/sofa slide, I notice that if I have any lights on in the camper, it will dim the lights - like there is a tremendous electrical "draw".

When the individual who sold us the unit showed how the slides worked, there was no issue. Now it has been doing this. I checked the fluid level in the pump and it appears to be full. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
SuperHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #2

Possibly the click you are hearing is the auto trip circuit breaker which reset itself after it cools down. You might check your battery connections first after that I would supect a battery going low. Any power drop = less voltage = higher amps thus tripping the circuit.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #3

Good Point

Actually I have the battery disconnected right now so that someone doesn't decide to play with the front levelers - the button for those are out on the outside of the unit and anyone walking by could mess with it. So I disconnected the battery and am only using AC power.

I will reconnect it tomorrow and see how it works.

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #4

I put a switch inside the front compartment to keep that from happening also added one for the back stabilizers also. and If you were trying to run your slides without the batteries hooked up it will cause a overload on your converter and can burn it out so be careful it is not designed to run the 12 Volts alone it works in tandum. batteries take care of the main load and converter charges batteries back up.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #5

Thanks!

Good information to know OneTonFord! Thanks so much.