Old 12-10-2019, 09:56 PM   #1

Slide kit from FR is HUUUUGE improvement!

have a 2015 Forester MBS 2401WS but I suspect this may apply to many or all slides.

My full side slide is 13' long and has always had issues, despite many trips to the dealer. Dragging, going crooked, getting stuck, even breaking it's giant metal bracket. The latest problem was that it would struggle and just barely and slowly extend (even when helped by me), but retracted at full speed.

Last year I had the dealer install FR aluminum plates underneath for the wheels to run on but it didn't help.

Two months ago they installed "Mounting Brackets, p/n 690884" and the difference is night and day. It has never run so smoothly!

These seem to be two pairs of stiffeners that screw into the side walls of the giant square hole (if you will) that the slide extends from. I imagine they keep those walls from flexing during the torque applied while this very heavy slide is in motion. Whatever they do, they are doing a great job! And since it's a retrofit part, the FR engineers must have designed it to remedy problems like mine.

I've attached a photo of one stiffener. Photo is shot with the slide in. It's simply a black metal brace screwed into the wall. One high and one low on each side wall for a total of four.

This repair cost me $114 but has worked wonders so far. Hopefully it can help others with slide issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5449.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	220403  

Old 12-10-2019, 10:00 PM   #2

For some reason my photo rotated left when posted. It should be vertical with my taped arrow pointing to the left.

Old 12-10-2019, 10:58 PM   #3

Sad part is you had to pay to make a factory known problem good

Where ever you go there you are
grumpyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:31 AM   #4
Head Rambler

If it works it seems like a good thing to keep in mind.

I searched for that part number, but didn't find anything associated with Lippert.
Is there more to them than the tab part that we can see?
Old 12-11-2019, 12:02 PM   #5

Our 2020 Sunseeker has two slide outs on the street side, one 6 feet, one 8 feet. The slides have metal plates on the side frames similar to that seen in the OP's photo, although larger. There are 4 plates on each slide. Perhaps these stiffener plates were at some point added to forward production. They look simple enough that you could build your own if you wanted to add them to an older model that lacks them.

In my opinion, splitting the street (driver's) side slide into two sections as done on the 2440DS, one for the dinette, and one for the bed, is a positive step for Forest River and might minimize potential slide out problems such as could be presented by a heavy, single full wall slide. The down side is that having two slides instead of one wastes a little bit of valuable wall space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2881.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	220422  
Old 12-11-2019, 01:52 PM   #6

We have a 2016 Sunseeker 2400R and the dinette slide has those same plates screwed into the sides. We have not had any problems with the slide, although itís a dinette slide not the full wall slide.
Dbrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
If it works it seems like a good thing to keep in mind.

I searched for that part number, but didn't find anything associated with Lippert.
Is there more to them than the tab part that we can see?
Is this a FR part only? Is it only for Sunseeker or can it be used in other lines as well?
Bigruh36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:06 PM   #8

To answer your questions:

I just phoned the dealer and learned that those are "Z Brackets" from Grand Design RV. So that must be their part number. (They look generic enough to me, but they're hard to see due to where they are mounted.) In scrutinizing the invoice, I now see that they were only $1.40 each.

The service manager said the way they learned about them was from "a recall a while back" that I was not part of. Also, I would mention that the $114 I paid included diagnostic troubleshooting and repair of two problems, not just the slide.

BTW, my slide is a Shwintek although I don't think that matters at all.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Our 2020 Sunseeker has two slide outs on the street side, one 6 feet, one 8 feet. The slides have metal plates on the side frames similar to that seen in the OP's photo, although larger. There are 4 plates on each slide. Perhaps these stiffener plates were at some point added to forward production. They look simple enough that you could build your own if you wanted to add them to an older model that lacks them.

In my opinion, splitting the street (driver's) side slide into two sections as done on the 2440DS, one for the dinette, and one for the bed, is a positive step for Forest River and might minimize potential slide out problems such as could be presented by a heavy, single full wall slide. The down side is that having two slides instead of one wastes a little bit of valuable wall space.
Behindbars Looking at your pictures. I am interested in doing this to our Cedar Creek 5er. We have 2 slides in the front living room (schwentek) that I have been dealing with for a while.
My question is, are there plates on the top and bottom of each side of the slide that you reference? I am going to fab some up and install to see if they make a difference in our slide operation.
Thanks in advance.
CAUTION behind this truck is A contagious disease!!!
Its called Camping!!!
kirk37r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:39 PM   #10

How do the Z brackets fasten (or clip) to the H column? I would like to try adding Z brackets to my slide. I have searched the interweb and not found any brackets that look like they would work. Does anyone have a picture or drawing showing the end view of the Z bracket?
Thanks!

Super55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide