Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2014, 01:23 AM   #1

Slide Maintence questions?

sorry about the newbie questions. purchased brand new 2014 Primetime 2670 last June. im just wondering what kind of maintence needs to be done on these slides? I believe its the cable slide? do I have to oil the cables at all or are they really self lubricating like the dealer says? I also read online that the seals can be coated with baby powder? is this all that needs to be done? I will be perfectly honest, I didn't touch the seals or anything my first season with it.. I really didn't know until now.. so this spring I will take the baby powder and use it on the seals. what else needs to be done?
last question, I have read online that the slide should be operated once per week to keep it lubricated? I have done that over the summer, but I live in upstate NY and the camper is at the dealer for the winter storage(outside) I have not checked the camper since October. will the slide be ok during the winter without opening it? its hard to stick to that once per week opening during the winter.. any hints, tips? what should I do?
im not a very handy person, but I also don't want to pay dealer to do stuff if its easy to do myself..thanks for helping..
yankeeslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 06:41 AM   #2

I wouldn't worry about opening the slides once a week. Especially in the winter. Never heard of self lubricating slides but what do I know. I've heard mixed opinions on lubing slide mechanisms. Some say don't because the oil will attract dust and plug things up. I personally use a dry lube 1 or 2 times a year. On the slide gaskets I've also never heard the baby powder thing but the make an slide gasket spray at your RV stores. Hit em once or twice a year too.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
Site Team

2670 bhs slide

I had a 2013 2670 bhs. I purchased some seal lube from my dealer and tried the baby powder. Both worked fine and the powder attracts less dirt.
I used a silicone spray on the cables and pulleys.(spray lightly wipe excess off with a rag.
Just make sure no one walks on the slide when its in!Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-06_19-07-33_449.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	45372

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-06_19-07-48_583.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	45373

Also on my 2670 the screws from the benches went threw to the outside of the unit. This tore up the plastic threshold some from open / closing the slide. Noticed it from black shavings on the floor.
Did not open / close once a week either.
Camp on!
Carl

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:30 AM   #4

I use the slide seal spray. Twice a year, spray on and wiper off. No probs with it attracing dirt and I do all beach camping. Sand is my Enemy!
blkcorvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:26 AM   #5

platokidd

What is that picture of???
Old 01-25-2014, 09:32 AM   #6

Guys, what kind of damage can sitting on closed slide do? I think I sat on couch few times when closed. I didn't know. Dealer never told me. I have one year warranty till June. What damage would I look for so I can have covered under warranty?
Old 01-25-2014, 10:00 AM   #7

None to my knowledge. In the retracted position the slide is supported by the three sides fitting tightly up against the unit, with the tracks underneath, if its that design supporting the bottom.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:54 PM   #8
Site Team

I owned a 2013 tracer 2670bhs so I have first hand experience with this unit.
In the pic / under the carpet of the slide out wood chipping off.
The edge of the wood is thin and on a angle to slide up over the threshold.
When in for service at the dealer the tech walk over the slide when closed and chipped off the wood you see in the pics.
There is a lot of unsupported board on the inside edge of the slide out when in.(flex) The board is thin.
Basically dont walk on the edge of the slide when in or better yet not at all when closed.
I had several more piece of wood break off during the 10 months I owned that unit. Prime time was made aware of this on going problem with my unit and Roger kept telling me to keep a eye on it. The dealer adjusted the slide out a few times as well to stop this from happening. Darn wood is just too thin there.
Carl
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forest River Forums mobile app

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide