Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2020, 07:46 PM   #21

Hi everybody, been working on the problem with the slide, contacted Lippert who were a great resource and spent a lot of time just studying the source of the gear chatter. It's kind of a long post so bear with me.
Here's what I've found, the slide had been taken out of the trailer to repair some water damage before I purchased used it from the dealer. When they reinstalled the slide their service department cocked it by about two inches so one end was off by two inches from the other end.
When the slide was all the way in or out the two inch difference was not noticeable because the slide was either flush or all the way out against the stops. The only time it was noticeable was when the slide out was part way.
This off kilter caused the idler gear packs which are on the frame to bind on the gears when the slide was moving in causing the gear chatter. They were out of sync.
The easiest was I found to check is to measure the gear track or count the teeth on the track from it's outer end to the gear pack. The measurement on my slide was just over a two inch difference.
This two inch racking of the slide not only caused the noise when the slide was moving in it also twisted the metal frame of the slide just a little bit so the entire slide mechanism was a little out of square.
My fix was to re align the slave idler gear (corner away from the actuator) about a half inch past what would be considered the zero setting which compensates for the racking of the slide mechanism and will help move the slide assembly back to square.
I'm expecting that over the next few trips with all the bouncing and torsional twisting the slide and trailer will experience everything will return to close to normal and that last half inch can be adjusted out.
Right now the slide only produces the gear noise occasionally, maybe one time out of 5 retractions which a noticeable improvement.
The noise is annoying but won't cause a fatal failure.
It's a real shame how sloppy the service department repaired this trailer, monkeys with hammers could of done better. Been dealing with leaks, loose seats and benches and all around sloppy work since I brought the Catalina home.
Eddie2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:07 PM   #22

So glad you found it and thanks for letting us know what it was. That was just plain inattention to details on the part of the dealer. If you hadn't kept at it, eventually it would have cost a lot to fix the problems it would have caused. As an old professor of mine once said: "Remember the little things.......They count!" Congratulations, you kept after those "little things" (what's a few teeth???) the dealer messed up and you fixed the problem! Now, the first thing if I hear a noise like that, is, I'll go count the teeth. Happy camping!
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:00 AM   #23

I have the same problem. Chatter noise when coming in at the last foot or so. Chatter noise when going out at the same spot. The slide also drags on the floor in the same area. I checked distance on floor. In that area it does touch the floor and then move upward at the very end. When my TT was new the top slide cover had to be replaced. I would bet that it was never adjusted correctly. I will look at it more and try to adjust. It appears that front corner needs to be raised by unbolting and raising. How did you adjust the idler gears?
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:06 PM   #24

Adjusting the idler gears isn't that hard, I would recommend going to the Lippert web page and finding the procedure. The adjustment procedure is depending on the type of slide mechanism so this is just a general idea of how I worked on my slide.

It can be a little complicated if you aren't familiar with how the slide works.

To start with move the slide out about half way and measure the distance from the end of the flat track gear on the bottom of the slide to the front and rear gear packs mounted on the frame. If the measurements are the same the slide mechanism is square and no adjustment in needed.

If adjustment is needed here's a quick walk through;

Run the slide out about half way and measure the distance or count the gear teeth from the outer end of the track gear to both gear clusters.

Take the weight off the idler end gear pack and loosen it so it's not engaged.

Manually move the driven end of the slide in or out till the measurements from the first step are equal. Do not use the motor for this step, use only the hand crank.

Tighten up the idler gear pack and put the weight back on it.

As I said before look up the proper procedure on the Lippert web site, I know I skipped a step or two covering final adjustments. My front gap was off and had to be reset after squaring the slide. It's not quite as easy as I make sound, one adjustment can change a lot of others.

Hope this helps
Eddie2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise, slide