Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2019, 07:26 PM   #1

slide motor replacement

Linking an old thread that won't allow me to reply to any longer.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ng-190189.html

So to update and also ask more questions, I sent the video to Lippert to see what they say. They told me motor needs to be replaced as it is stripped internally.

I could not find any sheer pin hole or anything on the other side.

So I found a new motor for about $280 however from reading through the forums here, sounds like if I open up the motor, I may be able to replace the gear(s) inside.

My question is, how do I remove the motor that is under the master bed? I tried looking on youtube for videos but all slides that I have seen are the ones where the motor is under the floor. The front bedroom, the motor is in the bedroom under the bed above the floor.

It's winter time now so it's all covered up but want to start learning/researching on how to do this myself. Looking at the video I posted, I don't see how the motor disconnects from the slide to remove it.

Anybody have pics or video of how these disconnect and get removed?

The link below is a still image of the motor. The motor spins which internally is spinning the pin that is circle. I can turn the piece that is circled by hand so somewhere after that is what is broken. Must be whatever is geared that meets the pinned shaft and the shaft that goes under the bed through the rail.

Never attempted to take one out or apart and trying to avoid a dealer if possible due to cost.

https://ibb.co/x5SvkQh
Old 12-22-2019, 08:42 PM   #2
Site Team

That's a sofa or above floor slide mechanism. You can find a service manual for it on the web.

If you can get to the bolt opposite of the one you see on the top of the right angle gear box, you can take it and the top one out and the motor and gearbox will slide off the right angle gearbox.

Another way to get at the gears is to pull the hairpin clip off and the hex adapter will slide off and then you can unscrew the four screws and the side plate will come off exposing the gears.

The other way is to pull the slide mechanism out.
Old 12-22-2019, 08:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
That's a sofa or above floor slide mechanism. You can find a service manual for it on the web.

If you can get to the bolt opposite of the one you see on the top of the right angle gear box, you can take it and the top one out and the motor and gearbox will slide off the right angle gearbox.

Another way to get at the gears is to pull the hairpin clip off and the hex adapter will slide off and then you can unscrew the four screws and the side plate will come off exposing the gears.

The other way is to pull the slide mechanism out.
Are you referring to the bolt right above my circle (above the SN label? If so, you are saying there is a bolt directly below it and I have to unscrew both of them?
blwnsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 09:06 PM   #4

Could more things.. so the whole system is $263.. but if the motor itself is working (black motor) and the part that has the pin is spinning by the motor, I am wondering if all I need is this piece.

https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/...earbox-890-01k

Here is the whole assembly

https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/...r-slide-117292

Guess I just need to wait and take the 4 screws out to expose the gearbox first. If gear box is working, which I believe it is, then the actuator/ragbox in the first link I believe is what I'll need.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:09 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by blwnsmoke View Post
Are you referring to the bolt right above my circle (above the SN label? If so, you are saying there is a bolt directly below it and I have to unscrew both of them?
Yes, if it's possible. It's probably not, but that's the easiest way to take it apart because there's just a slot in the hollow shaft that slides over a roll pin through the gearbox shaft.

In fact since that hex shaft is turning in your linked video, it could be that pin that's sheared causing the right angle gearbox not to rotate.
Old 06-09-2020, 12:20 PM   #6

Hi all, So with campgrounds finally starting to open, it's time to bring this back up and get it repaired once and for all. First, I chatted with tech support and the parts dept with Lippert direct so helped me diagnose this and has saved me a ton of money.

After removing the cover (thanks to the above posters) and checking out the gears, the motor is intact as well as the back of it that connects to the worm drive.

Lippert does not offer the worm drive alone rather I have to buy the whole unit combined. Fortunately I found it by itself online...

So next question, since I have the motor taken apart (quite easy) and everything is ready to go once I get the part, anybody have any idea how this comes out to replace? I see the two bolts (bottom of figure 1, page 4) that connect the worm drive.

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001470.pdf

Then I'm assuming the only thing I have to fight to get off is the shaft that has the bedroom slide gear. Not sure how that stays on the shaft without spinning off OR how I get it off the shaft.

Thoughts?? I'm so close from doing all the work that I hate to bring it to a camping store or Campers world and pay them the labor for a job I've almost complete.

Here is a picture of how far I've come.

https://ibb.co/MSsrwBQ
Old 06-09-2020, 04:05 PM   #7
Site Team

Once you have the mounting bolts out, the gearboxes slide off the shaft if I remember correctly. I don't think the roll pin is driven through a hole.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:21 PM   #8
rbq

Is the motor just bad? or is the gear assembly also bad? It may just be the motor & all you have to do is reconnect the motor to the gear assembly. That looks an awful like the gear assembly on my Roo. I replaced the motor & didn't have to replace that gear assembly. Just a screw or two holding it together. Just have to get everything lined up properly. It's usually the clutch in the motor and the gear in there that gives you the most grief.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbq View Post
Is the motor just bad? or is the gear assembly also bad? It may just be the motor & all you have to do is reconnect the motor to the gear assembly. That looks an awful like the gear assembly on my Roo. I replaced the motor & didn't have to replace that gear assembly. Just a screw or two holding it together. Just have to get everything lined up properly. It's usually the clutch in the motor and the gear in there that gives you the most grief.

It isn't the motor, the motor itself spins fine as well as all gears inside the motor assembly. It is the gears inside the gear assembly that has to be bad (gear stripped inside I'm assuming).

This piece..

Tags
replacement, slide