Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2017, 10:15 AM   #1

Slide motor spare

Just bought a 2012 tracer tt. Thinking I should have a spare slide motor or maybe complete assembly. It is a cable slide system. I see a couple on eBay. Does anyone know motor specs or part number. Comments on reliableity of this system? Is there an upgrade motor. Would also like spare stabilizer motor.

Thanks!
Tylerfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
Site Team

We've owned five RV's with powered slides (and a couple without ) and I've never had to replace a motor. I've only had to replace one tongue jack. So, I don't think it's worth it to have a spare motor. Also, there are ways to manually extend and retract it if something does happen. I'd concentrate spares to things that are known to fail regularly, and fuses!
Old 03-09-2017, 08:28 AM   #3

Reiiable

Had a Gulfstream rv and slide was robust, never an issue. This cable system just seems kind of weak. Glad you think they are reliable. Although this part of the forum seems alive with problems.

Thanks for the input
Tylerfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:09 PM   #4

Lippert Schwintek slides

Well, if you have a Lippert Schwintek slide, someone, somewhere whether its Lippert or Forest River apparently has no quality control.
My FR Flagstaff 2014 23RLWS that has VERY LITTLE slide use had an issue operating and I had to replace one motor.
Who ever installed the original broke to top upon installation and jammed the wiring.
And of course its out of warranty....
On a positive note Lipperts Customer support was very helpful on the diagnostic side of the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide motor.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	281.1 KB
ID:	133933  
2014 Flagstaff 27RLWS
2008 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT
ronzo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:51 AM   #5

I have a '14 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS and am considering having one in my spare parts too. Only had one issue in the beginning..factory put to short of shoulder bolts in the shaft. One sheered off. Found a direct replace for the whole assembly for $380. Figure if the thing breaks on the road, I will have to pay double that to get one. Just can't decide. opinions?
Old 05-08-2017, 10:01 AM   #6

Learn how to operate the slide manually for when/if a motor goes out.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerfoster View Post
Had a Gulfstream rv and slide was robust, never an issue. This cable system just seems kind of weak. Glad you think they are reliable. Although this part of the forum seems alive with problems.

Thanks for the input
I can't speak directly to your system but remember this part of the forum is alive with problems because this is the part of the forum where you post your problems. This forum has about 80,000 members if I recall correctly, so keep things in perspective and don't let it panic you.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:14 AM   #8

Honestly, I don't think I would have gone out and bought a spare but now that I've had to replace one because of the faulty "Hall" signaling (?) that prevented the motor from synchronizing with the other, I now have a spare that I know, after manually overriding the control box, this motor will at least operate the slide enough to open or close it............hopefully
Anyways........ it's in my "spare stuff" that I keep onboard........
2014 Flagstaff 27RLWS
2008 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT
ronzo101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide