Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2017, 07:12 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2
Slide Opens and Retracts Unevenly

Hello All! I'm new here. I have a 2017 Forest River Wildwood 282QBXL. It has one slide. We've been out in it 7-8 times. The last time I noticed when I opened the slide one sided started about 2-3 seconds before the other side and same when it comes in. So when I open or close it I have to hold the button down after one side has stopped to let the other side catch up. The dealer said this is normal. They looked at it and said they opened / closed it several times. Best I understood he said there are two motors and they both have "stop points" so they'll stop when they're fully opened / closed. My concern is that it definitely did not operate this way when it was new. I feel like this is not a standard operating condition. Anybody else have this? If it is normal that's fine I'll live with it but I feel like it is a symptom of a bigger problem. Thanks in advance for the advise.
thompson521dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:46 PM   #2
Rivnut
 
Rivnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Monterey, TN cumberland Plateau
Posts: 170
slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompson521dc View Post
Hello All! I'm new here. I have a 2017 Forest River Wildwood 282QBXL. It has one slide. We've been out in it 7-8 times. The last time I noticed when I opened the slide one sided started about 2-3 seconds before the other side and same when it comes in. So when I open or close it I have to hold the button down after one side has stopped to let the other side catch up. The dealer said this is normal. They looked at it and said they opened / closed it several times. Best I understood he said there are two motors and they both have "stop points" so they'll stop when they're fully opened / closed. My concern is that it definitely did not operate this way when it was new. I feel like this is not a standard operating condition. Anybody else have this? If it is normal that's fine I'll live with it but I feel like it is a symptom of a bigger problem. Thanks in advance for the advise.
Mine did that and we found the gear on opposite side has sloppy holes in the connecting bar that drives both sides. A mechanic had mine done in one hour and it was done at Huntsville RV
Rivnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:48 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2
Thanks. I think I may call forest river. If they can validate that this is not normal I may be able to get more help from the dealer.
thompson521dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:44 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
MNtraveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,119
Slide Opens and Retracts Unevenly

The resynchronization sequence for the two motors is to fully extend and hold switch until both motors turn off fully. Then pull in 2-3" and repeat extension and hold switch until both motors turn off fully. Do this three times then pull it in holding the switch until both motors shut off fully. This is supposed to teach the motors where the end is again so they resynchronize. Always hold the switch in this manner until both motors stop, in both directions. This is per the Schwintek manual so if you have a different brand it may or may not work.
__________________
2016 FR Forester 2401R
Towing 2014 Honda CR-V
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:11 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2
Had same problem. Followed MNtravelers advice and system worked fine to reset slide. Thanks for your help.
Jheyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:16 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
MNtraveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,119
__________________
2016 FR Forester 2401R
Towing 2014 Honda CR-V
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:45 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 42
They get out if sync when you start opening and let go of the switch before they are all the way extended or retracted I had this problem when we first got ours I called fr they told me what I was doing wrong and how to re-calibrate the motors
Smcgregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:54 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Muncy Valley PA
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
The resynchronization sequence for the two motors is to fully extend and hold switch until both motors turn off fully. Then pull in 2-3" and repeat extension and hold switch until both motors turn off fully. Do this three times then pull it in holding the switch until both motors shut off fully. This is supposed to teach the motors where the end is again so they resynchronize. Always hold the switch in this manner until both motors stop, in both directions. This is per the Schwintek manual so if you have a different brand it may or may not work.
I wonder if this is the same for a lippert slide out? Mine is doing exactly the same thing? One motor will stop after a couple seconds and I will have to go the opposite direction for just an instant and they do not exactly match going in or out?
Tom911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:36 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
MNtraveler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,119
Slide Opens and Retracts Unevenly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom911 View Post
I wonder if this is the same for a lippert slide out? Mine is doing exactly the same thing? One motor will stop after a couple seconds and I will have to go the opposite direction for just an instant and they do not exactly match going in or out?


That is for Lippert, yes. Lippert recommends having shore power attached or generator running because of the power demands.
__________________
2016 FR Forester 2401R
Towing 2014 Honda CR-V
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:18 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Muncy Valley PA
Posts: 96
I am going to try to resync when I get home. I had it parked in a spot I couldn't fully extend the wall to install a flat screen TV. So I am pretty sure it is just out of sync. The dealer is 3 hours away but I am going to call the maintenance department.
Tom911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:26 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 42
Lippert also has an app for your phone that has a lot of this info
Also forest river has one to its pretty handy
Smcgregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:32 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Muncy Valley PA
Posts: 96
The only real fear I have is not being able to retract the slide electronically if for some reason the motor or motors fail? I will look for the app and keep it on our Ipad.
Tom911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:07 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 42
There is a way I felt the same you actually disengage the motors and push slide manually but there is a whole lot of good info on those two apps
Smcgregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:32 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Briorick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom911 View Post
The only real fear I have is not being able to retract the slide electronically if for some reason the motor or motors fail? I will look for the app and keep it on our Ipad.

My sentiments exactly!!!!!! Thank goodness you and I only have the dinette slide which isn't overly monstrous! That's a plus in our favor!

Did you get the "remote" for the slide out? I have used ours a couple times and works very well. Getting rather spoiled here!!!!! LOL

There are some good youtube videos on this topic as well. Worth checking out.
__________________
Rick & Brian
1 Happy Camper Pup ( Mya )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
2011 Ford Super Duty 250 XLT FX4 6.2L

The best plans can be of those that happen in the spur of the moment!
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:02 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Muncy Valley PA
Posts: 96
Is there a youtube video for disengaging the slide motors? If not my son and I can figure it out. Yes I got the remote. I haven't used it we have actually only been camping twice in it. The night we bought it and then 3 days at Watkins Glen New York for their winefest. We got the blue LED lights that are on the bottom and the twinkling LED lights on the awning. I did replace the above the stove light with a LED so it was actually usable. We like it, especially the slide out dining. What a difference it makes in room.
Tom911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:15 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Briorick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 564
One of the best outdoor features is the blue undercarriage lights. Great for a night lite.


Here is a video with a good overview of the internal components and showing how to diagnose and override the motors, in case of a failure.

Lippert Components, Inc. also has quite a few videos on youtube.


__________________
Rick & Brian
1 Happy Camper Pup ( Mya )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
2011 Ford Super Duty 250 XLT FX4 6.2L

The best plans can be of those that happen in the spur of the moment!
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:33 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 7
LIPPERT/SCHWINTEK Slide: Try this on the slide...found this on the WEB about 6 months ago from a Technician at a RV repair center but forgot to save the address.
RETRACT the slide fully in, HOLD the switch down for 3 to 5 seconds after slide stops, release switch and then push the RETRACT side two times repeatedly. Then try opening the slide to see if it opens even. Do the same procedure in REVERSE after you fully open the slide...hold OPEN switch for 3 to 5 seconds after slide is out, release switch and then push OPEN side two times repeatedly. Hope this helps.
I have a 33 ft. Thor Chateau motor home with a full length slide, was having issues with the slide (which is a 3 motor each end) Lippert drive system. Have been doing this ever since I found the information on the web from the technician, and it has work fine. I had previously called the technical division at the manufacture three times and got no help from them. I had owned a 28 ft travel trailer previously, it had a Lippert slide and was always able to get help from the Manufacture, but not this time. Best way I found to solve a lot of these issues is to search the web. There is a lot of very good first hand knowledge out there from RV owners and independent technicians who work on RVs.
dwjonesrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:02 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Muncy Valley PA
Posts: 96
Thanks. I actually called Lipert and talked to a tech. I told him I put a light grease on the rails and he told me to get it off and not lubricate it. Maybe use soapy water if anything which I did. I told him what my issue was about moving evenly and all he said was I hope cleaning the rails will fix your problem?
Tom911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:48 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Muncy Valley PA
Posts: 96
The slide is now working perfectly. The video is great but, I pushed the button until both sides retracted fully? Wrong! You stop the slide immediately when one side touches. Then follow the 8 to 10 inches in on the side only that has completely retracted. Little steps like that not being mentioned is why us over thinkers get into trouble. Technical videos should be written by technical people not engineers. They assume too much. It actually started working after the second time I did it but I did the third time and then fully retracted the wall and held the button in for about 8 to 10 seconds. I then put the wall out and repeated the 8 to ten second hold on the button. All is now good in the sticks of PA.
Tom911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:06 AM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2
Led lite over stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom911 View Post
Is there a youtube video for disengaging the slide motors? If not my son and I can figure it out. Yes I got the remote. I haven't used it we have actually only been camping twice in it. The night we bought it and then 3 days at Watkins Glen New York for their winefest. We got the blue LED lights that are on the bottom and the twinkling LED lights on the awning. I did replace the above the stove light with a LED so it was actually usable. We like it, especially the slide out dining. What a difference it makes in room.
Tom tell me more about the light over the stove. Did you just replace the bulb with led or did you have to replace the entire fixture? Where did you find the supplies?
Jheyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
slide

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 AM.