Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2017, 07:12 PM   #1

Slide Opens and Retracts Unevenly

Hello All! I'm new here. I have a 2017 Forest River Wildwood 282QBXL. It has one slide. We've been out in it 7-8 times. The last time I noticed when I opened the slide one sided started about 2-3 seconds before the other side and same when it comes in. So when I open or close it I have to hold the button down after one side has stopped to let the other side catch up. The dealer said this is normal. They looked at it and said they opened / closed it several times. Best I understood he said there are two motors and they both have "stop points" so they'll stop when they're fully opened / closed. My concern is that it definitely did not operate this way when it was new. I feel like this is not a standard operating condition. Anybody else have this? If it is normal that's fine I'll live with it but I feel like it is a symptom of a bigger problem. Thanks in advance for the advise.
thompson521dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:46 PM   #2
Rivnut

slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompson521dc View Post
Hello All! I'm new here. I have a 2017 Forest River Wildwood 282QBXL. It has one slide. We've been out in it 7-8 times. The last time I noticed when I opened the slide one sided started about 2-3 seconds before the other side and same when it comes in. So when I open or close it I have to hold the button down after one side has stopped to let the other side catch up. The dealer said this is normal. They looked at it and said they opened / closed it several times. Best I understood he said there are two motors and they both have "stop points" so they'll stop when they're fully opened / closed. My concern is that it definitely did not operate this way when it was new. I feel like this is not a standard operating condition. Anybody else have this? If it is normal that's fine I'll live with it but I feel like it is a symptom of a bigger problem. Thanks in advance for the advise.
Mine did that and we found the gear on opposite side has sloppy holes in the connecting bar that drives both sides. A mechanic had mine done in one hour and it was done at Huntsville RV
Rivnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:48 PM   #3

Thanks. I think I may call forest river. If they can validate that this is not normal I may be able to get more help from the dealer.
thompson521dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:44 AM   #4

The resynchronization sequence for the two motors is to fully extend and hold switch until both motors turn off fully. Then pull in 2-3" and repeat extension and hold switch until both motors turn off fully. Do this three times then pull it in holding the switch until both motors shut off fully. This is supposed to teach the motors where the end is again so they resynchronize. Always hold the switch in this manner until both motors stop, in both directions. This is per the Schwintek manual so if you have a different brand it may or may not work.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:11 PM   #5

Had same problem. Followed MNtravelers advice and system worked fine to reset slide. Thanks for your help.
Jheyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:16 PM   #6

[emoji1303]
Old 07-10-2017, 10:45 PM   #7

They get out if sync when you start opening and let go of the switch before they are all the way extended or retracted I had this problem when we first got ours I called fr they told me what I was doing wrong and how to re-calibrate the motors
Smcgregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
The resynchronization sequence for the two motors is to fully extend and hold switch until both motors turn off fully. Then pull in 2-3" and repeat extension and hold switch until both motors turn off fully. Do this three times then pull it in holding the switch until both motors shut off fully. This is supposed to teach the motors where the end is again so they resynchronize. Always hold the switch in this manner until both motors stop, in both directions. This is per the Schwintek manual so if you have a different brand it may or may not work.
I wonder if this is the same for a lippert slide out? Mine is doing exactly the same thing? One motor will stop after a couple seconds and I will have to go the opposite direction for just an instant and they do not exactly match going in or out?
Tom911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom911 View Post
I wonder if this is the same for a lippert slide out? Mine is doing exactly the same thing? One motor will stop after a couple seconds and I will have to go the opposite direction for just an instant and they do not exactly match going in or out?

That is for Lippert, yes. Lippert recommends having shore power attached or generator running because of the power demands.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:18 AM   #10

I am going to try to resync when I get home. I had it parked in a spot I couldn't fully extend the wall to install a flat screen TV. So I am pretty sure it is just out of sync. The dealer is 3 hours away but I am going to call the maintenance department.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:26 AM   #11

Lippert also has an app for your phone that has a lot of this info
Also forest river has one to its pretty handy
Old 08-10-2017, 10:32 AM   #12

The only real fear I have is not being able to retract the slide electronically if for some reason the motor or motors fail? I will look for the app and keep it on our Ipad.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:07 AM   #13

There is a way I felt the same you actually disengage the motors and push slide manually but there is a whole lot of good info on those two apps
Old 08-10-2017, 11:32 AM   #14

Quote:
The only real fear I have is not being able to retract the slide electronically if for some reason the motor or motors fail? I will look for the app and keep it on our Ipad.

My sentiments exactly!!!!!! Thank goodness you and I only have the dinette slide which isn't overly monstrous! That's a plus in our favor!

Did you get the "remote" for the slide out? I have used ours a couple times and works very well. Getting rather spoiled here!!!!! LOL

There are some good youtube videos on this topic as well. Worth checking out.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:02 PM   #15

Is there a youtube video for disengaging the slide motors? If not my son and I can figure it out. Yes I got the remote. I haven't used it we have actually only been camping twice in it. The night we bought it and then 3 days at Watkins Glen New York for their winefest. We got the blue LED lights that are on the bottom and the twinkling LED lights on the awning. I did replace the above the stove light with a LED so it was actually usable. We like it, especially the slide out dining. What a difference it makes in room.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:15 PM   #16

One of the best outdoor features is the blue undercarriage lights. Great for a night lite.

Here is a video with a good overview of the internal components and showing how to diagnose and override the motors, in case of a failure.

Lippert Components, Inc. also has quite a few videos on youtube.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:33 PM   #17

LIPPERT/SCHWINTEK Slide: Try this on the slide...found this on the WEB about 6 months ago from a Technician at a RV repair center but forgot to save the address.
RETRACT the slide fully in, HOLD the switch down for 3 to 5 seconds after slide stops, release switch and then push the RETRACT side two times repeatedly. Then try opening the slide to see if it opens even. Do the same procedure in REVERSE after you fully open the slide...hold OPEN switch for 3 to 5 seconds after slide is out, release switch and then push OPEN side two times repeatedly. Hope this helps.
I have a 33 ft. Thor Chateau motor home with a full length slide, was having issues with the slide (which is a 3 motor each end) Lippert drive system. Have been doing this ever since I found the information on the web from the technician, and it has work fine. I had previously called the technical division at the manufacture three times and got no help from them. I had owned a 28 ft travel trailer previously, it had a Lippert slide and was always able to get help from the Manufacture, but not this time. Best way I found to solve a lot of these issues is to search the web. There is a lot of very good first hand knowledge out there from RV owners and independent technicians who work on RVs.
dwjonesrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:02 PM   #18

Thanks. I actually called Lipert and talked to a tech. I told him I put a light grease on the rails and he told me to get it off and not lubricate it. Maybe use soapy water if anything which I did. I told him what my issue was about moving evenly and all he said was I hope cleaning the rails will fix your problem?
Old 08-11-2017, 07:48 AM   #19

The slide is now working perfectly. The video is great but, I pushed the button until both sides retracted fully? Wrong! You stop the slide immediately when one side touches. Then follow the 8 to 10 inches in on the side only that has completely retracted. Little steps like that not being mentioned is why us over thinkers get into trouble. Technical videos should be written by technical people not engineers. They assume too much. It actually started working after the second time I did it but I did the third time and then fully retracted the wall and held the button in for about 8 to 10 seconds. I then put the wall out and repeated the 8 to ten second hold on the button. All is now good in the sticks of PA.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:06 AM   #20

Led lite over stove

Quote:
Is there a youtube video for disengaging the slide motors? If not my son and I can figure it out. Yes I got the remote. I haven't used it we have actually only been camping twice in it. The night we bought it and then 3 days at Watkins Glen New York for their winefest. We got the blue LED lights that are on the bottom and the twinkling LED lights on the awning. I did replace the above the stove light with a LED so it was actually usable. We like it, especially the slide out dining. What a difference it makes in room.
Tom tell me more about the light over the stove. Did you just replace the bulb with led or did you have to replace the entire fixture? Where did you find the supplies?
Jheyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide