Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2010, 09:47 PM   #1

Slide out

Having trouble keeping slid out closed while towing. Forest River Sierra 2001 23ft 5th. It has a power gear system. Can anyone help me with this problem

Thanks
Sapper1
sapper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #2

Are you using the slide-out lock bars when traveling??
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:55 PM   #3

Slide Lock
Old 09-19-2010, 09:56 PM   #4

Slide out

Mike I just bought this 5th wheel and am not aware of any bars to use. I ended up disconnecting the wiring to keep it closed
Old 09-19-2010, 10:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper1 View Post
Mike I just bought this 5th wheel and am not aware of any bars to use. I ended up disconnecting the wiring to keep it closed
You're saying the slide does not move out with the wiring disconnected???

This don't sound right.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:11 PM   #6

If this is so, I'd test the voltage at the slide motor while connected to your tow vehicle. You may have a slight voltage applied to the motor. Could be a problem with the slide-out switch.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:11 PM   #7

Slide out

Yes it doesn't move out with wireing disconnected
Old 09-19-2010, 10:19 PM   #8

See my reply above you last post.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:47 PM   #9

Thanks I will check the power source first and buy the lock bars

Sapper1
Old 09-20-2010, 05:30 AM   #10

You may not need the Lock Bars after you figure out the problem. I have never used mine; and many others haven't either.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:54 AM   #11

Mine won't fit properly due to the angle of the seals, and if i put them on the trim edge, it just simply removes the nailed- on trim! No way I can see TO use them for their intended purpose. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
Mine won't fit properly due to the angle of the seals, and if i put them on the trim edge, it just simply removes the nailed- on trim! No way I can see TO use them for their intended purpose. Randy
Probably won't use mine either. Did you try yours on the top or sides?

I think they would just fall of if they were on the sides like the pic above?
DCRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:52 AM   #13
camping

Same on ours, wont work on the bedroom slide at all and very hard to get to the 2 rear slides. I can get between the slides, just no room to get them in. The one time I did use them one fell out.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #14

Slide locks or no slide locks? it looks like most people dod not use the slide locks???
I have been contemplating buying a set.
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:12 PM   #15

None of my friends use the slide locks in their trailers. Some are FR, some are other brands.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:36 PM   #16

I had a Jayco that the slide would move out and I used 2 turn buckles mounted on the front rail of the slider and I would hook them on the frame couple of turns and I was done the slide wasn't going anywhere
Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:05 AM   #17

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
They are there for safety,from the manufacturer. I for one dont understand people not using them. I here on this forum alot about TV safey compared to TT length,but then here "oh I never use those" "I have a hard time putting them in" now thats just crazy !!. Well if a slide come out while traveling no mater how remote the possibility, I cant imagine what might happen to you or someone else on the road. I have a 2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3063- 3/slides. The slide locks were hard to adjust a first but once they are set,you just twist the bar clockwise or counter clockwisw to tighten/loosen. They have a sticker on the wall for placement. The Windjammer is a V-nose also and they are placed against the slide trim.....Ive got those things so you could hang on them and the trim hasn't started popping out. The person from RVW(RVWholesalers.com) told us to always put them in and dont be afraid to make them tight as long as you place them where the stickers are located!. He said dont let anyone talk you out of using them or tell you they aren't necessary. They are there for a reason SAFETY!!
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:34 AM   #18
Site Team - Lou

I am with BigRed on this one. I use mine all the time on my main slides. (The wardrobe slide uses the NORCO wire system and does not need them).

The reason I think it is a wise move is the transport system for the main (Lippert) slides uses a gear and rack system that is designed to slip when the slide reaches full closed (or open). There is NO other movement security for the slide.

I think that this has a lot to do with the "level floor" feature of the slide.

When the slide is closed the rack under the floor is angled down since the rack is not "level" with the slide floor. It has to lift the slide's interior side to clear the floor when closing, then let it drop into place when fully open.
(I hope you get the picture)

This would put all the load weight of the slide on the two racks and plastic gears (designed to slip when overloaded - open or closing). That ratcheting sound you hear to let you know its fully in or out.

On rough roads; pot holes; or just plain "over" loaded with gear (cases of wine in the dinette, etc); The bouncing can cause the roller gear/rack to slip like it was designed to.

My slide stop goes dead center at the top of the slides on both sides. By my way of thinking this through, this places a tiny bit of torque on the slide pressing the slide racks down onto their respective gears and should keep the slide from hopping off the roller gear a tooth or two every time you hit a bump.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:10 AM   #19

I WOULD use mine, if I saw any possible way to properly install them!! The stickers inside on the slides that state "Place slide locks here" makes the opposite end directly across from that sticker, you must lock it to a small piece of wooden trim that is nailed on with paneling nails, AND, that I can fairly easily push out on and remove the piece by hand. That tells me that the locks would not possibly do anything to help this 1,000 lb. (or so) room from moving, if it was trying to. I do however understand the gear and track arrengement underneath, and have to agree that the room COULD move out on a VERY bumpy road on a curve, or something similar. It's never happened to me in 3 years yet, but.....you never know!!! My 2 cents worth. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:47 PM   #20
Site Team - Lou

I agree that it does seem a flimsy way of securing the slide. I ground mine against the seal and not the trim. I agree totally that if I put it against the trim it would damage it. The seal area seems much more sturdy IMO.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote