Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2022, 06:43 PM   #1

Slide out adjustment.

Hello. I have an 04 flagstaff and I need to know if there is an adjustment to stop the slide from going out to far. Mine goes out to far and gets stuck on the nylon slide pad on the bottom. I have to rock it up and down from outside while someone holds the switch in the in position. The motor isn’t strong enough to pull it back up onto the nylon slide pad. Thanks.
Alexrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 07:24 PM   #2
clr

I do not know exactly what type of slide you may have. But most or all have some type of adjustment for the in out travel. Most are a simple nut on the extension rod. You must find out exactly what slide type you have and then locate the adjustment procedure.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 07:25 PM   #3

If your Flagstaff uses the same type of operating mechanism as mine, electric linear actuator with rack and pinion equalizer, the following might help:

The OUT travel is limited by the actuator itself and IN travel is limited by a "can" on the threaded shaft on the end of the actuator. OUT can be adjusted by backing off the inner nut ( closest to trailer main body) at bracket the actuator is attached to on slide. I backed mine off a couple inches. Extend slide until you hear clutch disengage and make ratcheting sounds. Now adjust the inner nut until slide has extended to desired position where inner seals are just firm against inner wall. I moved slide in and out a couple times as I adjusted extension to make sure the inner seals were just right. Then tighten outer nut to lock in place.

The slide should not be too far out at this point to keep it from riding up on the "blocks".

For IN adjust run slide in intil outer seal under trim is tight against body. Then screw can toward frame until it is snug against the metal then lock in place. During normal operation the slide actator will "ratchet" at both full out or full in position.

If your slide is different there might be more info at lci1.com where master slide manuals are posted.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 06:39 AM   #4

Titan Mike,
Thanks for your clear reply. That was the best explanation of how the slide actuator works. In my research on this forum and from Lippert manuals etc, they talk about slide out adjustment but no one mentioned the fact that the "out" adjustment is limited by the actuator itself and the "in" adjustment by the location of the stop can. Your explanation was right on and is the way I figured it had to be.

Also there is lots of discussion about whether or not the motor/actuator has some sort of clutch. Some say don't ever hold the button till you hear the ratcheting sound. I have a 2021 Minilite 2104S and my slide is powered exactly like you said. While I do let off the switch immediately when I hear the ratchet, I no longer am afraid that it is stripping some gears. I am currently having a problem where once I pull in the slide and hear even "one" ratchet sound, I then need to manually turn my crank just a half turn to get it started going out and then it moves out under power just fine. If I try to move it out before using the manual crank for half a turn, I hear a lighter clicking sound (not the heavy ratchet slip clutch sound) and the slide will not move. I found another very long thread on the "Grand Design RV forum" that went into great detail of someone that had a similar problem. I am still deciding if it is the motor or a poor connection or some binding at the end of travel that is causing it. BUT in the process, I needed to understand how the actuator worked and your post did that very well. Thanks.
Keith

Tags
slide, slide out