Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2021, 02:28 PM   #1

Slide Out Bars

We bought our 2012 Rockwood Signature UltraLite WRLF8280ws 5er privately and it came with 2 slide out bars which appeared unused since they still had the red tags attached. Since they were there, I assumed they needed to be used when moving so I proceeded to attempt to install them for the 12 ft. couch & dinette slide out. The one by the entrance door (which is in the middle of the unit) went in ok with the use of a step stool. Then I went to install the second one (towards the kitchen/ rear of the trailer. With the slide in, there was no room to put the step stool so it was virtually impossible to install the bar. There seems to be varying opinions on the requirement for these bars but I have 2 questions: 1. Would putting one bar only on the forward end be OK? and 2. Does anyone else's layout make it impossible to install the rear bar?
fgillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:59 AM   #2

I'm going to assume your slide is operated via hydraulic pressure. My old Class A had slide travel hooks and after tearing the facia off the slide because I forgot to release the hook I stop using them and all the years of traveling never had a problem. There seems to be a reason they looked unused. Keep in mind if you are going to use them use both other wise if you forget and leave the one in you will tweet your slide box or tear something up. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:18 AM   #3

Thanks very much SeaDog. Your answer was just what I wanted to hear.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:12 AM   #4

My 2020 Flagstaff 26fks came without slide locks. On first trip I notice front top of slide was flexing out about 2”. Took back to dealer they said they adjusted slide but made no difference. I did buy one slide lock and use it toward the front of the slide. You may want to travel without lock and see if slide is tight, if so I would not use the lock. We put a sticker above the slide switch to remember to remove the lock before extending slide. I forgot one time and fortunately stopped slide before it damages facia.

I think FR may have stopped shipping new units with the slide lock as more problems were created by forgetting to remove the lock than slide issues while traveling.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:07 AM   #5

I think you are right in your last para. My conclusion is to not use ANY locks but try to keep an eye on the slide as we travel, esp during sharp turns at higher speeds (not a good idea at any time).
Again, I am reminded how great this site is for learning about an RV and want to thank those that take the time to weigh in on the various subjects.

Tags
slide, slide out