Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2021, 12:28 PM   #1

Slide out bottom cracked by roller???

So I was trying to troubleshoot a motor issue on my slide out this morning and noticed this crack on the bottom side of our slide. It appears to have been caused by one of the rollers in the middle area of the slide. By the look of the divot in pic.2, I suspect there had to have been quite a lot of force to cause it. The crack is about 16" long.

Does anyone have suggestions on repair options? Does anyone know how the bottom area of a slide out is typically constructed? My worry is that there could be additional damage to the material directly above that crack.

My thought is to laminate/attach a relatively thin strip of sheet metal (maybe about 12" wide), that runs the entire length of that roller's path, getting that roller out of that rut it caused.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slideout bottom crack.1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	254902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slideout bottom crack.2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	254903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slideout bottom crack.3.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	254904  
greggvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:38 PM   #2
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggvk View Post
So I was trying to troubleshoot a motor issue on my slide out this morning and noticed this crack on the bottom side of our slide. It appears to have been caused by one of the rollers in the middle area of the slide. By the look of the divot in pic.2, I suspect there had to have been quite a lot of force to cause it. The crack is about 16" long.

Does anyone have suggestions on repair options? Does anyone know how the bottom area of a slide out is typically constructed? My worry is that there could be additional damage to the material directly above that crack.

My thought is to laminate/attach a relatively thin strip of sheet metal (maybe about 12" wide), that runs the entire length of that roller's path, getting that roller out of that rut it caused.
Forest River can supply pre-cut and pre-drilled 1/8" stainless steel plates that go between all rollers and the slide bottom. Those are the normal fix.

Give their Georgetown Service contacts a call and see what they can do for you.

Expand out SERVICE in this link: https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/conta...gionSelected=1

Ray
Old 06-24-2021, 06:32 PM   #3

We’re you able to resolve this issue? Forest River sent the plates but the RV repair called to let me know it is a $1600.00 repair and that when they contacted FR they were told fix is on the customer.
If they have a fix doesn’t that mean they have a design problem?
Roseys Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:59 PM   #4

Nope. I’m about $3K into having my Lippert slide motors and control panel replaced without a completion timeframe at the dealer even known. Lippert doesn’t have any stock, so I just had to cancel a two week trip! I did call Forest River regarding the plates…. Their response was basically you’re not the original owner, so you’re on your own. A 2 year motorhome and it’s basically falling apart. Georgetown SUCKS, Forest River SUCKS, and Lippert REALLY SUCKS!
greggvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 12:07 PM   #5

Wow! I just spoke to the FR West Coast Service Rep. He sent the part and is calling repair service doing the fix to explain installation, hoping that will resolve. I bought mine new in 2015 but warranty is out. He said they provide part to fix but the installation is on me.
Roseys Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 12:44 PM   #6

I had the same problem on my 07 but on mine I had adjustments on the end of slide. I sent it to a Forest River shop they kept it three weeks then told me to live with it. I got it home and fooled with it for a week and it now works great. they call shop and told them they didn't know how to fix it but to take out slide relocate parts and see what happens dime is on me.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crack, slide, slide out