Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2014, 11:34 AM   #1

Slide out brace

I just got my 2015 Flaggstaff 832bhwiks, it has 4 slides but only had one brace. Do all 4 slides need a brace or just one?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
chappiee67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappiee67 View Post
I just got my 2015 Flaggstaff 832bhwiks, it has 4 slides but only had one brace. Do all 4 slides need a brace or just one?
It might be a travel lock and is definitely not a brace for it once the slide is deployed.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #3

x2 for OC.

You only need it for the slide on the driver's side when you travel. It was marked on the wall behind the slide where it is to be used on mine.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:10 AM   #4
23ss ROOster

Is it necessary to use slide travel braces

When traveling? If so, How and where do they install on 2012 23ssROO? What are the risks if don't use them? Thanks.
Wags2237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:58 AM   #5

They are all the same you lay them on top of the slide, you can cut a 2x4 and do the same thing. Or you can go to a place like flying J and buy I cargo holder for a lot more money.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:41 PM   #6
23ss ROOster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
They are all the same you lay them on top of the slide, you can cut a 2x4 and do the same thing. Or you can go to a place like flying J and buy I cargo holder for a lot more money.
Are they necessary?
Old 08-23-2014, 02:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags2237 View Post
Are they necessary?
Not really, I do not know of to many people who use them, saying that I did have my bedroom slide open< never did find out why. So I closed it by power and then stuck a 2x6 on top so it couldn't again til I got it checked out, they never found anything, so either I left it open which I doubt or I had a short. It's a slide that uses chains and pulleys. I can't believed that I did with a topper on it out 60 miles from the CG On I-10 learned from a driver behind me. I'm sure driving 65 miles an hour I would have ripped that topper off, If I left it open.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags2237 View Post
When traveling? If so, How and where do they install on 2012 23ssROO? What are the risks if don't use them? Thanks.
There should be two labels on the outside wall above the slide out on your 23ss. Ours came with the locks. When I asked the tech during our pdi, he said if the slide came with them, then you should use them. Wasn't sure about his answer, did see a couple of reads on the net that locks should be used with certain types of slides, an electric gear motor with rack and pinion that has the clutch mechanism for instance. With our one slide, isn't a big deal, and probably safer in the long run.
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Some are used all the time; some are used only when the motor fails; and some are not necessary. It all depends on the slide manufacturer and the system used to open and close the slide.

I have found:

Lippert electric motor drive with gearbox and internal clutch - required all the time as the clutch can slip under side/centrifugal load and release the slide.

NORCO motor driven gear gearbox and steel cables - needed only when gearbox fails and needs to be removed to close the slide for transport

Schwintek slideouts - required only when gearbox or motor is removed.

Hydraulic slideouts - recommended as cylinders can leak internally and release the slideout.

Mine in use; you of course, can do anything your heart desires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Slide Braces 005.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	61267   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof Shots and others 025.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	356.3 KB
ID:	61268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Slide Braces 003.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	61269  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #10
23ss ROOster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Some are used all the time; some are used only when the motor fails; and some are not necessary. It all depends on the slide manufacturer and the system used to open and close the slide.

I have found:

Lippert electric motor drive with gearbox and internal clutch - required all the time as the clutch can slip under side/centrifugal load and release the slide.

NORCO motor driven gear gearbox and steel cables - needed only when gearbox fails and needs to be removed to close the slide for transport

Schwintek slideouts - required only when gearbox or motor is removed.

Hydraulic slideouts - recommended as cylinders can leak internally and release the slideout.

Mine in use; you of course, can do anything your heart desires.
Thanks. My 23ss ROO did come with the two slide out locks and looks similar to yours Lou. It appears they attach above the slide when closed I'm guessing? I will look for the stickers as well on the wall and give it a try. Thanks all for your help.

Tags
slide, slide out