Old 04-17-2020, 03:53 PM   #1

Slide out floor rot ????

ok so i have a 2017 forest river sierra HT 3350BH that we bought new in late 2018 and i haven't had any major issues until this week. My camper is being take back to the dealer tomorrow due to the slide out covering under the flooring falling apart and the flooring looking rotten. My question is are there some sort of drip mouldings i can install afterward to keep this from happening in the future ??? i have included a few pictures and this is only one of the sides of my 2 slides, im just trying to keep this from being another issue in the future. My camper is paid for and it wasn't cheap so i want to keep it up as good as i possibly can Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1021.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	323.1 KB
ID:	227114

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1023.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	341.7 KB
ID:	227115

Name:	IMG-1024.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	351.1 KB
ID:	227116

polecat28328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 04:11 PM   #2

Caulk ALL seams where exterior molding touches the RV and along all windows. Retract ALL screws 50% and apply caulk before tightening. Use EternaBond RV Mobile Home Roof Seal Sealant Tape along all 3 exposed edges on top of slide outs.

The manner in which trim is applied to the exterior of an RV is a joke. If there is a void anywhere, water will find it!!

2015 Brookstone 315RL
2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD Diesel 4x4 CC LB LEMON
Hatchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 04:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
Caulk ALL seams where exterior molding touches the RV and along all windows. Retract ALL screws 50% and apply caulk before tightening. Use EternaBond RV Mobile Home Roof Seal Sealant Tape along all 3 exposed edges on top of slide outs.

The manner in which trim is applied to the exterior of an RV is a joke. If there is a void anywhere, water will find it!!

I was more wondering if there was a drip molding or flashing that could be added. It looks like it is a perfect place for water to seep in
Old 04-17-2020, 04:44 PM   #4
Just as confused as you

It looks as the under covering has been ripped. There should not be bare wood showing.
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
The Faster I Go, The Behinder I Get.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 04:45 PM   #5

Slide out floor rot ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
It looks as the under covering has been ripped. There should not be bare wood showing.

Thats correct. Thatís what queíd me too it. When I opened the slide out I heard the crackling as it rolled out. When I looked under,there was the ripped out sheet of the order coating.
Old 04-17-2020, 05:53 PM   #6

Looking at your top picture you see 3 screws attaching the bottom edge molding. The screws and where the mold hits the side are both areas that can allow water intrusion. It's also possible any molding or track at the top of the slide out wall might have allowed water to run down the interior of the wall. Have you checked the integrity of the wall?

2015 Brookstone 315RL
2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD Diesel 4x4 CC LB LEMON
Hatchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
Looking at your top picture you see 3 screws attaching the bottom edge molding. The screws and where the mold hits the side are both areas that can allow water intrusion. It's also possible any molding or track at the top of the slide out wall might have allowed water to run down the interior of the wall. Have you checked the integrity of the wall?

Yes. The wall seems firm. Itís where the kitchen table is. I also checked the interior floor and itís firm.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:16 PM   #8

I have reached this problem over many different RV forms and have found that the weak point that lets the water in is the black fabric. The fabric is called Scrim Shield. The black scrim is glued to the bottom of the side out and raps around and up the side wall of the slide out. Where the scrim makes the 90 deg turn up the side wall and is exposed on the side before it goes under the metal termination strip is the weak point. FR protects most of this with a plastic edge. The weak point is at the end of the plastic strip next to the out side wall of the slide. A small peace of the scrim is exposed and calked by FR . If the calk is damaged or fail's water can get in and damage the slide out floor. If the side out was built with out the plastic edge calk the exposed scrim on the side wall of the slide out or get make some thing to protect this area.

Hope this helps tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200417_202425.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	227129   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200417_202434.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	227130  
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 03:21 PM   #9

the dealer going to fix it? Also who is going to pay for it?
p young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 03:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by p young View Post
the dealer going to fix it? Also who is going to pay for it?

Iím assuming so. It is still under warranty If not Iím going to pay. It has to be fixed
Old 04-18-2020, 03:47 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by polecat28328 View Post
Iím assuming so. It is still under warranty If not Iím going to pay. It has to be fixed
Unless you bought some 3rd party extended warranty, seriously doubt that it's under warranty. The factory warranty would've expired a year after you bought it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 05:34 PM   #12

water damage not covered under warranty best shot would be to have your dealer call FR to make them do the work
p young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 04:11 PM   #13

We had a similar problem with the slide on our 2017 Catalina, apparently when it was built the factory snapped off two or three screws along it's outer edge and holding the bottom molding on. The screw heads were still held in place by the sealer but let water leak into the side and floor of the slide causing it to rot. Luckily the dealer rebuilt the slide for free even though it wasn't under warranty. While talking to the service department we found out that there should be plastic drip edges called skis installed along the bottom edges of the slide to keep water from migrating around the bottom sides of the slide. They installed a set of them also while the camper was in the shop.
After we got the camper back from the shop I gave the slide a crawl around and found that not only had the service department used the wrong sealer (silicon) on the slide roof they had also broken off three or four screw heads holding the outer molding on which caused a leak first time out. It was pretty much the same thing that caused the original problem but on the top of the slide not on it's side.
I ended up resealing everything including the roof along the outer molding and replaced all the screws on the slide making sure I pumped sealer into each and every screw hole before installing the new screws.
Also found that the two outer corners of the slide were possible intrusion spots for water so hit them with sealer also.
From looking at the pictures you posted you have the skis installed but they are too short. The skis we had installed went all the way into the living quarters. Also the screws holding the bottom molding on look like they were not sealed properly and could of let water in around them.
Sorry about the long post but just went through what you are dealing with , hope this helps.

Eddie2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, slide, slide out