Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2017, 05:05 PM   #1

Slide out fuse problem

I have a problem with slideout sometimes (not always) blowing a 30A fuse.
I checked voltage at the battery with a volt meter. I disconnected the shore power and reconnected shore power. Regardless, I read 13.54 volts.
Pulled in the slides one at a time, with shore power - still read 13.54 volts. No blown fuses.
Disconnected shore power - while each slide was coming in it read 12.5 volts. I pulled in one at a time. But at end of inward travel, the 30A fuse blew.

So based on the above voltages, I can assume that the converter voltage and battery is working correctly. Is that correct? I thought that converter at charge level would be over 14 volts. But if battery was charged it would somewhere between 12 and 13 V.

So then I cleaned the rubber slide out seals and waxed using 303 protectant. Waxed the slide out sides. Lubed the slide rails, etc. Replaced the current normal spade fuses with auto reset 30 A fuses. I will see how that goes.

More questions. The inline fuses go to a small box (about 1/2" by 1") that is screwed to the side of the frame, prior to battery cutoff switch. Isn't this an auto re-setable breaker box? If so, why the need for it if inline fuses are present?

Does slide outs operate off 12 volts or 110 Volts? I am a little confused.
When on shore power does the slide outs operate off the 12 volts from the converter? When off shore power, does slide out operate from the battery? In other words, where does slide out get it's power.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:10 PM   #2
Site Team

Sounds like the slide is pulling the max the fuse can handle, and when on battery, the voltage drops just enough to raise the current draw enough to blow the fuse.

The slide operates at 12 volts. It uses power from the converter/battery when on shore power and when on just battery, that's what it uses.

You could up the size and/or type of your battery an that may keep the voltage up enough throughout the slide operation to keep the fuse from blowing. You could also, just always be plugged into shore power when operating the slides.

Having said that, since you replaced the fuses with self resetting breakers, you will be able to operate the slides and if it trips, it'll reset and you can continue.

Tags
fuse, slide, slide out