Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2020, 08:48 PM   #1

Slide out has black sticky material

I bought my travel trailer last fall so I'm pretty new to this and l've only opened my slide out maybe 3 times and every time I retracted it the one side was always sticking and have to wait for it to unstick and fall back in place so that I'm retracting straight.

I climbed up a ladder today to have a look and took some pictures of the top of the slide out inside and from outside.

This black sticky tar like material is what the slide out is sticking too and its just on the one side. Just looks like a messy job they did and you can see it the black marks it also left on the slide out.

Can I just clean this up? If so what should I use to clean it?
Also the slide out roof has a a pocket like the rook material was not put down flat on that one side.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200428_172345.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	227854   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200428_213438_388.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	282.1 KB
ID:	227855   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200428_172300.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	227856  
49ersfootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:29 PM   #2
Site Team

How about posting year, make and model of trailer you have since you didn't list it in your profile.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
How about posting year, make and model of trailer you have since you didn't list it in your profile.
Thanks for the reminder. I've updated my profile with that information.

It's a 2019 Forest River cherokee 264dbh.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:58 AM   #4

Oh Boy this is a Mess! If you bought it New take it back to the Dealer for "Slide Removal" and repair! The "Hump" on top must be fixed in order for the "Seals/Wipers" to work properly! The Pic with the Slide in the OUT position didn't even bring the "Seals/Wipers" out with it,this is NOT normal either! If bought used,it looks like the PO applied TAR to attempt a Fix? Either way your slide needs to come OUT and start repairing roof portion and New Seals! Youroo!! Using "303 Protectant" on "Seals/Wipers" is always a needed maintenance issue,but you case is way past that!
Old 04-29-2020, 05:07 AM   #5

Had an issue similar to yours with our 2017 Rockwood 8289WS fifth wheel. We noticed black streaks on the walls of our large slide at the end of last season. The slide was also acting like it was sticking when being moved.
After returning from our trip to Key West early this spring we got an appointment with our Dealer thinking our slide needed adjustment. The only issue with our slides resulted from the rubber seals needing treated. The Dealer treated the seals with Protect All slide-out rubber treatment and removed the black tar like streaks. All is good now and we learned our lesson of keeping the seals treated.
Our Dealer told us that this is a common issue they see at their shop. So, $179.00 later our slides work great but I could have prevented this by treating the seals like I should have. Part of our bill included a spray can of the above mentioned rubber seal treatment that I will use myself from now on.
Hope this helps and best of luck.
badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Oh Boy this is a Mess! If you bought it New take it back to the Dealer for "Slide Removal" and repair! The "Hump" on top must be fixed in order for the "Seals/Wipers" to work properly! The Pic with the Slide in the OUT position didn't even bring the "Seals/Wipers" out with it,this is NOT normal either! If bought used,it looks like the PO applied TAR to attempt a Fix? Either way your slide needs to come OUT and start repairing roof portion and New Seals! Youroo!! Using "303 Protectant" on "Seals/Wipers" is always a needed maintenance issue,but you case is way past that!
Thanks for the feedback Youroo.

The pic with the slide in the OUT position does have the flap out (seals), it may be hard to see in the picture but that white stuff on it was seal conditioner that i put on and still had a bit left at the time i snapped the picture.

I did buy this travel trailer new, so i will contact the dealer ship which i assume should be covered under warranty, never had good experience with warranties as there's usually some fine print or a way out for them but i'll give it a shot.

I will send them pictures and explain that i want the slide out roof repaired and get new seals.
Old 04-30-2020, 05:25 PM   #7

What would be the best way to clean up that black silicone gew off the slide out roof and off of the seals?

Plastic scraper?
Any products safe to use on them that would help and make the job easier?

See my first post for pics of what I mean by the black gew.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:11 AM   #8

I would try spraying the goo with bug and tar remover.

-Rich
45RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:32 AM   #9

Kind of looks like the rubber seals are reverting.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:49 AM   #10

Had the same issue on my 27VRL, only the goo was gray. It was oozing out from the screwed on trim pieces on the outside of the slide. I cleaned it all up with goo-gone and treated the slide seals and wipers. Been good since.

I think it's sealant the factory uses to seal up the outside of the slide, on the corner moldings and such. Black, gray, whatever color/brand they used that year.

Tags
black, slide, slide out