Old 05-29-2020, 06:48 AM   #1

Slide out leak and rotten floor and walls

Hi there!

Newbie here and Iíve been reading many different threads trying to find answers.

We just purchased a new to us Salem 30QBSS trailer. We decided to rip out all the old flooring to update it and despite all exterior seals looking ok to us upon purchase we found major water damage on the back corner of our slide out. A large section of the floor itself needs to be replaced and the water has wicked its way up the walls , the wood is rotten to where itís falling apart. I donít even know where to start to replace this wood since itís on the slide out which is not supported like the main area of the camper. I also need advice to figure out where the water is coming from! I believe itís wicking up from the bottom where the water runs under the slide out ( Iíve read this is a common issue) and could also use recommendations on some skis or something to prevent this from occurring again. The floor was already fully replaced by warranty for this issue when it was with the original owners a year after they purchased it new.

Please help 😂
Kimjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 03:42 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Kimjohnston,

We would be happy to assist you with your Salem. Because your ongoing satisfaction is very important to us, we invite you to contact Miranda Blackburn in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: https://www.forestriverinc.com/Direc...63672907620480.

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
ES_FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_FR View Post
Kimjohnston,

We would be happy to assist you with your Salem. Because your ongoing satisfaction is very important to us, we invite you to contact Miranda Blackburn in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: https://www.forestriverinc.com/Direc...63672907620480.

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
Hi there,

We have the exact same issue! We just purchased 2014 Cherokee 39p. We found major water damage on the back corner of the slide out. All of the the floor needs to be replaced, the water has also wicked its way up the wall on the one side. The wood floor is rotten and falling apart with black mold. I think the water is coming up from the bottom where the water runs underneath the slide out So this issue needs addressing too.

We’d be grateful for help in having this resolved.

With thanks!
Johagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 02:13 PM   #4

Could you all post some pictures on what you are seeing? Also, can you post pictures of the outside of your slide out system so we can see what you have for a system and how the trim along the sides meets the slide floor?
billybigrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:29 PM   #5

Hereís a few pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	75242F36-473C-4CCC-8B21-1F79C55F9DE1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	447.2 KB
ID:	232958   Click image for larger version

Name:	67FCC552-D4B9-4A0E-A3CD-8A866DEC35E0.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	414.3 KB
ID:	232959   Click image for larger version

Name:	44B1858D-4A0B-4CA5-8127-994576F402DE.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	466.2 KB
ID:	232960  
Old 07-02-2020, 07:17 PM   #6

Wow! Sorry to see the damage! I believe you are on the right track as this has been a known issue with that design. I have read about slide skis and other potential fixes. Hopefully someone with experience of this issue and slide system will comment soon! I have a Schwintek system on my 2018. I have also been battling leaks recently! Good luck on the repairs and prevention!
billybigrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:48 PM   #7

Thank you. We definitely need some help! ����
Old 07-15-2020, 02:12 PM   #8

I have the same issue starting in my 2008 Cardinal. I have contacted several repair shops to have them do it and good lord they want $7000 (the cheapest) to $10000 plus they said it would take a week. We are full time RVers so now there is going to be a hotel room for that long this is going to get expensive. I was told it is from the same design problem why hasnt there been a recall on this problem.
wayne nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:47 PM   #9

I’m so sorry to hear that. I agree clearly there is a design problem here and it appears to be well known (except to the us!).
The price for repair is astronomical and the expertise is not easy to find.
While I am enjoying trailer life I will certainly be more discerning when we look at our next trailer purchase.
Best of luck to you.

Tags
floor, leak, slide, slide out