Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2014, 03:31 PM   #1
Somewhat right of center

Slide out power observation

Ok, let me see how to wrap your brain around this to see if it's normal. Today I went out to the Crusader to check things out since the weather is better. Plugged in the camper. Anyway, after I plugged it in I pulled the battery disconnect switch out which is on/connected position. I put the slides out, no problem. Played around inside for a little while, went outside and pushed the disconnect switch off/disconnected position and decided to retract the bedroom slide closet back in. It didn't work. I'm thinking something blew since it's still plugged in and all the other 12V stuff is still working except the slides. I went outside and pulled the disconnect to on/connected again and the slides worked. Long story short, my slides won't work unless the disconnect switch is on/connected with battery connected or not. I thought as long as it's plugged in, everything will work and the battery disconnect has nothing to do with it. Thoughts?

One more thing, does the battery charge (while camper is plugged in) even with the disconnect in the disconnected position?
Old 04-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
daydreaming about camping

The 12v lead to the slide motors is most directly a direct shot to the battery, it does not run through the power distribution center. I know on my unit the stab jacks, tongue jack and slide motors are all wired this way.

The converter will only charge the battery if it is connected to the battery.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
Experienced Newbie

I would guess no. The disconnect switch is there to eliminate all current draw from the battery.
If the slide motor is 12v, it's a large draw on the system and the converter isn't putting out enough charge to power the motors.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forest River Forums mobile app

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:58 PM   #4
Somewhat right of center

Thanks all so far. I know that last question sounds dumb about the disconnect and charging but since the disconnect is about 6 feet from the battery in a side compartment, I was thinking there was maybe a separate line tapped in (within that 6ft) that would still charge the battery while it's disconnected from everything else....if that makes sense
Old 04-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #5

Slides will be disconnected when you turn battery disconnect off. Only thing that stays energized is your auto level control for the stab jacks
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:27 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

In my TT, the slide still works while the battery is disconnected, but my stab jacks don't. Though in my layout, I have to put the slide out to even get to the disconnect, so I suppose they wired mine to bypass in this case.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #7

My manual says the slide will only operate off of the battery not from the shore power. First trouble shooting step is to check the battery charge. The second step says to replace the battery. The third step is the manual crank, which looks like it would be a PIA!

Sounds like yours runs off of the battery as well. happy camping!
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, slide, slide out