Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2022, 09:04 AM   #1

slide out problems

My 2004 forest river cardinal 5th wheel has a few problems. The 1st one is the back slide does not go all the way out flush on the left side. I lubricated the slide rails but no luck. Not sure where to look on that problem. The next one is a water leak in the same slide that i believe came from a clogged AC drain. The water came through the slide ceiling lights and obviously I need 2 new fixtures but I'm not sure how the lights were wired. I am hoping that the main live wire came to one of the fixtures and then another wire went from that fixture to the other one. I don't have a wiring diagram. If I can get those two problems solved I would be good to go, as they say. any ideas anyone Thanks in advance!!!
Delbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:31 AM   #2

Slide needs to be adjusted. How, depends on type of slide. Lots of youtubes on adjusting various kinds, or take it to an independent RV service shop.
For the wiring you don't really need a schematic (they don't exist anyway). Just pull out the old fixtures and the wiring will be evident. Perhaps the fixtures will still be good. Either way just wire back to the same wires.
The leak is fixed right?
Good luck!
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:01 AM   #3

Agree the slide needs adjustment. If you do t feel comfortable doing that. Amish RV repair only works on cedar creeks. He does great work.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmusa View Post
Agree the slide needs adjustment. If you do t feel comfortable doing that. Amish RV repair only works on cedar creeks. He does great work.
I agree he does good work from all accounts, but a 12 hour drive for a 15 minute adjustment?
Old 06-30-2022, 10:14 AM   #5

Have no idea where delbob is as profile
Does not say.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:15 AM   #6

The profile I see says Pomaria, SC.
And first post! Welcome to the forum Delbob!!
Old 06-30-2022, 11:08 AM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Scott gave you good advice.

Unless you have something wedged in your slide somewhere (it could be anything, I've seen dog toys, sticks, apples, cups) then you will need to adjust. Each slide make/model will have a different adjustment method.

As for the light... no schematics exist but 12v DC wiring is no rocket science and if you study how the wires are connected to the current lights (or use a multimeter) you will be able to replace them easy peasy.

I'll ask too... is the leak fixed? A clogged A/C drain isn't the likely culprit for a slide out leak that ruins interior lighting within the slide. If water from the A/C caused the slide roof to leak, what will you do if it rains?

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 12:51 PM   #8

water leak

We had heavy the last two days, no leaks. last week I ran the AC for quite a while and water dripped down through the slide ceiling fixtures. The fixtures were all rusted so it has been leaking for a while. Had someone living in the camper about a month ago for 2 or 3 weeks, ran the air steady and they didn't tell me it was leaking but like I said it did not come in when it rained.
Delbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 01:26 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delbob View Post
We had heavy the last two days, no leaks. last week I ran the AC for quite a while and water dripped down through the slide ceiling fixtures. The fixtures were all rusted so it has been leaking for a while. Had someone living in the camper about a month ago for 2 or 3 weeks, ran the air steady and they didn't tell me it was leaking but like I said it did not come in when it rained.
Well... I hope that's the case.

Since the slide-out roof is totally separate (because it has to slide) from the main roof where the A/C sits, even if the gutter was clogged, any condensate from the A/C would not drip through the slide's ceiling fixtures unless there is a hole in the slide roof. I do not know of any R/V made where the A/C has any direct connection to a slide.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 01:53 PM   #10
clr

It sounds to me like your AC weep holes may be plugged up thus forcing the water into the inside of your coach. Time to get up on the roof, remove the shroud of the AC, and give it a very good cleaning.
As to the slide, as others have stated determine the mfr and type of slide go to there support pages and find the appropriate slide adjustment procedure.
As to the lights very easy to change them and the replacements are not all the expensive.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out