Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2022, 07:37 PM   #1

Slide Out roller tracks

Our Wildwood X-Lite 253RLXL has 5 or 6 4" wide white plastic rollers under the slide-out. I have seen some reports where metal strips of about 6" wide were added for the rollers to ride on in place of the bottom of the slide and the black plastic-looking fabric material. The bottom of the slide-out is solid and no damage has occurred........ yet. I've also read that perhaps Forest River has supplied (perhaps free) some pre-fabricated metal plates for this purpose. Any traction on that?

What type of i.e. metal, steel, aluminum, or stainless, and what thickness or gauge should be used?

Any thoughts or suggestions if and how I should proceed? Just trying to prevent any damage to the underside of the slide-out or to the white plastic rollers.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 07:53 PM   #2

On a FR Surveyor I had some years back this happened under the slide on that unit. I had two (2) brass rollers that actually dug through the black material stapled to the bottom of the slide and dug into the wooden bottom of the slide. I removed only the amount of black cloth like material that I would need to repair the bottom then used a "Bondo" branded material for wood to fill in the gouged out places on the slide bottom. After sanding this patched area smooth I went to a local sheet metal shop, with photos, and explained what I was attempting to do with the repair. They were interested in me making this repair and worked with me well. With a back ground in Industrial Maintenance and a knowledge of sheet metal I told them what I had in mind and they invited me to look into their scrap sheet metal bin to see if I could find something I could use. I did indeed find two pieces of black sheet metal of a thickness that would work well. I came home, cut the pieces to the size I need and attached those below the black cloth like material. I removed the rollers to clean and lube them. After all had been done the slide moved in/out really well.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out