Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2018, 01:06 PM   #1

Slide-out Rollers not supporting Slide

I have a 2016 3011DS. I just recently replaced both slide motors on the bedroom slide. I pointed out to both Lippert (at the time of the failure) and the RV repair shop that replaced the motors, that the rollers were in no way supporting the slide. They both said some rollers do contact the bottom of the slide and some don't.🤷*♂️ Neither do on mine. When I contacted Lippert again the tech I spoke to said the rollers have to support the bottom of the slide to take the weight off of the slide mechanism rollers. If they don't I risk the motors failing again because they have to work too hard to operate the slide.

You can see by looking at the bottom of the box the rollers have never been in contact with that surface. THANK YOU FOREST RIVER👍! In my opinion this is a problem created by a bad install not a faulty Lippert product. According to what I've read on these forums, I'm not the only one with this problem.

My question for this forum is how much can I jack up the slide box, after properly blocking it, without risking any damage to it? It looks like all I need to raise it is about 1/2" to access the rollers.
Edrps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:49 AM   #2

Why do you need to access the rollers I don't believe they are adjustable, I would think the slide box needs to be adjusted.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:43 AM   #3

Mine are the same, only one of the rollers contacts. If I could get in there to run the anchor bolts out it could be shimmed up.. have not figured out how yet.
retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by retireearly View Post
Mine are the same, only one of the rollers contacts. If I could get in there to run the anchor bolts out it could be shimmed up.. have not figured out how yet.

Yep haven't figured it out yet either. I have read where people say they block the bottom of the box and jack it up a little to access the rollers. Then either replace them with larger ones or shim up the ones already there. Not sure if you risk any damage to how the box is attached inside. I do not believe the box itself can be adjusted since it is pretty much resting on a hard surface and the slide mechanism tracks already.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:06 AM   #5

Do you look at the rollers under the slide... fully out and fully in? This does not mean that they are not riding on the rollers when moving. The slides, when fully out will 'tilt' out/down... and may come off the bottom rollers. When coming in will 'tilt' forward.. inside and would/should ride gently, not full weight, on the rollers. When fully 'in', because of where the rollers are, and the brackets are, they may no longer be touching the bottom of the slide. imo, as I see it.....

I have issues with my large slide since the day I bought my unit.... at the RV shop not to work on again. Whole slide has been pulled out and up graded motors and wall assembly installed. Slide will (STILL) barely go out, because it is 'jammed' in the opening and takes four people to get it in... three pushing and one on the button.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Do you look at the rollers under the slide... fully out and fully in? This does not mean that they are not riding on the rollers when moving. The slides, when fully out will 'tilt' out/down... and may come off the bottom rollers. When coming in will 'tilt' forward.. inside and would/should ride gently, not full weight, on the rollers. When fully 'in', because of where the rollers are, and the brackets are, they may no longer be touching the bottom of the slide. imo, as I see it.....

I have issues with my large slide since the day I bought my unit.... at the RV shop not to work on again. Whole slide has been pulled out and up graded motors and wall assembly installed. Slide will (STILL) barely go out, because it is 'jammed' in the opening and takes four people to get it in... three pushing and one on the button.

Good point Brother. I will have to look closer when the wife hits the switch. I believe when I looked at it when it first failed they were not riding on the rollers at any point of box travel in or out.

Is your Rv a Forester? If so what year and model. The reason I ask is my large dinette/sofa slide seems to be moving slower little by little.

I remember years ago reading blogs about rving old timers who hated slides. Where do I join the club.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrps View Post
Is your Rv a Forester? If so what year and model. The reason I ask is my large dinette/sofa slide seems to be moving slower little by little.

Mine is in my sig line. I have a very large slide that has the dinette and sofa on it. Too much 'stuff' for the design and too much weight. Right on that line of 'working/junk'. Wish we never bought the unit we have, too much time and money dumped into it after the sale. Wife likes the layout.... but chews on ME when nothing works right.... It has sat on the Dealers lot waiting to be worked on than in campgrounds all of these years....

Old 02-06-2018, 09:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Good point Brother. I will have to look closer when the wife hits the switch. I believe when I looked at it when it first failed they were not riding on the rollers at any point of box travel in or out.

I remember years ago reading blogs about rving old timers who hated slides. Where do I join the club.
I've never thought about this as I only move my skid 2 times a year. However, I can only assume that when it goes out and the top hits first and the box tilts and stops at the bottom that the rollers are no longer in contact. I have been known to make wrong assumptions.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Mine is in my sig line. I have a very large slide that has the dinette and sofa on it. Too much 'stuff' for the design and too much weight. Right on that line of 'working/junk'. Wish we never bought the unit we have, too much time and money dumped into it after the sale. Wife likes the layout.... but chews on ME when nothing works right.... It has sat on the Dealers lot waiting to be worked on than in campgrounds all of these years....

Is your RV a Forester? If so what year? My slide mechanism is different in the large slide from the bed slide. What is sig line?
Old 02-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Is your RV a Forester? If so what year? My slide mechanism is different in the large slide from the bed slide. What is sig line?
No.
sig/info line is under the post. Look at some of the different posts of people.... there is information that has nothing to do with the 'post'.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:37 AM   #11

Quote:

you make a signiture line from your CP page. It provides information about you and your rig so we know what you are talking about. It helps us to provide the best answer to your question. Be sure to add where you are. It will appier at the end of all your posts. You don't have to type it each time. Look at mine at the end. I can answer some electric questions.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:41 AM   #12

Quote:
No.
sig/info line is under the post. Look at some of the different posts of people.... there is information that has nothing to do with the 'post'.

Thank you. I did take a look at the bottom of the slide while it was moving in and out. The slide does not contact the rollers at any point during its in and out movement. It looks like most of the weight is resting on the 2 little rollers in the track on both sides of the box. You can also look at the bottom of the box and see there is absolutely no wear on the bottom of the box from the rollers contacting it. You can also see on the bottom of the box where the rollers are supposed to contact some reinforcing members to accommodate the stress on the bottom of the box. One problem they don't contact the bottom of the box. Amazing Forest River did not catch this at the factory. It would be interesting to know how many units went out of the factory like this and how many people will get stuck on the road with a slide out failure. According to the Lippert tech rep I spoke to the slide will eventually fail if these rollers do not support any weight. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0137.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	161824Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0134.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	161825
Old 02-06-2018, 12:00 PM   #13

that does look to be a very large gap between the rollers and box. Those 'rollers' are right on the outside edge. mine (and the box sits on them) are set a lot farther in and are unreachable to adjust. Can you remove the rollers and shim them up? There are also 'strips' that can be attached to the bottom of the box/slideout that I have looked on the Lippert web site.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:04 PM   #14

Will look on lippert website. Strips might be the easier way to go. Thanks
Old 02-06-2018, 12:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Will look on lippert website. Strips might be the easier way to go. Thanks

I just looked and did not see any right off. I know that some members have put strips under their boxes to hinder wear and add a little support for the bottom. Might use the search engine to find threads on that.

I don't think the little wheels on the assembly will support that box and will bind up and break.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:29 PM   #16

I have a 2013 3030RS 5th Wheel with three slide outs. I noticed when I went to bring in the slides my bedroom slide which has only the bed in it, jumped up on one end about 12 or so inches off the floor when moving inward. It stayed up for a few seconds and then came down to to match the height of the other side. This has happened Twice now since i have owned the unit. I am the second owner and have not yet used the unit for travel yet only had it in storage.
Can anyone offer me any suggestions as to why this may be happening? Please contact me thru my Email. Thanks for any advise you can give.
Thanks in advance and I just love this forum lots of good info here.
ken8246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken8246 View Post
I have a 2013 3030RS 5th Wheel with three slide outs. I noticed when I went to bring in the slides my bedroom slide which has only the bed in it, jumped up on one end about 12 or so inches off the floor when moving inward. It stayed up for a few seconds and then came down to to match the height of the other side. This has happened Twice now since i have owned the unit. I am the second owner and have not yet used the unit for travel yet only had it in storage.
Can anyone offer me any suggestions as to why this may be happening? Please contact me thru my Email. for any advise you can give.
Thanks in advance and I just love this forum lots of good info here.

Delete your e-mail Ken or have the administrators do it. the internet will never go away and you do not want 'answers' 10 years in the future... Private information should stay private. start a thread and let the group look at it and answer you on the thread. It will not only help you, but anyone else having the same issue.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:16 PM   #18

Thank you, Brother Les. I have removed the email addy
Old 02-06-2018, 02:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken8246 View Post
Thank you, Brother Les. I have removed the email addy

Your welcome ken,

Like I said, we do not want to take away from Edrps and his thread, so, now is a good time for you to learn to 'start a thread'.

I will say what you already know..... "that aint right..."

The whole box is tilting on that one side for a little bit... Why???
Where this starts to 'tip up', stop it at once and see what is out of alignment. If that side drops back down... can you gently lift it up by hand and see where it is pivoting? Something (imo) is major loose (or gone) and you need to find out before you are going down the road and your box falls out of your unit.

Old 02-06-2018, 03:08 PM   #20

I was thinking it may be a hydraulic fluid issue with air in the line.
I now have it at a RV Repair Shop where they are fixing my curb side slide as it had dry rot damage I was not informed about from the RV dealership I purchased it from. Needless to say I’m not to happy about it but I did ask if there were any water problems and were told no. The slides were not covered with awnings which I am having installed along with with the repairs.
I also asked them to look at the slide issue with it riding high on one side when retracting also asked them to replace my hydraulic Fluid as I don’t think it had ever been done.
Long story short. It would seem there may have been a issue with the unit curb slide to start with as it is only 4 years old and the repair was extensive the whole top plate was rotten. I will post when I get the rig back with any info the repair shop gives me.
Again thanks for responding Brother Les.

Tags
slide