Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2015, 02:22 PM   #1

Slide out squeaks

I have spent the last four hours trying to find and correct the squeak from the dinette slide. I cleaned and lubed the wipers and seals. The slide is sitting square in the opening with about 1" clearance all the way around. The rack and pinion gears and gear tracks have been cleaned and lubed with dry lube. I disassembled both gear packs and lubed them with a few drops of Mobil 1-10w 30 as per lippert maintenance instructions. When opening the slide does not squeak the first half of the way out, only squeaks the last half, bringing in back in it squeaks till it gets about half way in with no squeaking the rest of the way till it's closed. It'd a horrible squeak much like someone dragging there finger nails across a blackboard amplified. I am open to any and all suggestions for what to check next. The slide is not a Schwintek slide, the slide rides on rack and pinion gears under it.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneDude 8289 View Post
I have spent the last four hours trying to find and correct the squeak from the dinette slide. I cleaned and lubed the wipers and seals. The slide is sitting square in the opening with about 1" clearance all the way around. The rack and pinion gears and gear tracks have been cleaned and lubed with dry lube. I disassembled both gear packs and lubed them with a few drops of Mobil 1-10w 30 as per lippert maintenance instructions. When opening the slide does not squeak the first half of the way out, only squeaks the last half, bringing in back in it squeaks till it gets about half way in with no squeaking the rest of the way till it's closed. It'd a horrible squeak much like someone dragging there finger nails across a blackboard amplified. I am open to any and all suggestions for what to check next. The slide is not a Schwintek slide, the slide rides on rack and pinion gears under it.
Yesterday I dropped about 1/3rd of the corplast. I cut it the width of the trailer behind the rear wheels. Couldn't see or hear anything wrong that would be causing such a loud screeching when the last half on the slide is going out or when the slide starts back in. I had DW operate the slide while I was under there, could not see anything binding or rubbing. The slide ram has good clearance through the frame, all mounting bolts of the slide motor and actuator were tight and did not have any marks on them to indicate movement.

Today I'll get a piece of furring strip from HD to fit between the frame. Replace the corplast I took down and screw the seam of the corplast to the furring strip. From what I can tell the screeching may be caused by the underside of the slide rubbing on something that up to now I can't see. There are no marks or scratches on the underside so I'm unsure of my next step. DW said we can live with it but it bothers the heck out of me.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:54 PM   #3

I'm having the same noise on my 2703ws Rockwood. It just started after two years of service and no problem. But...The noise you so adequately described as someone running their finger nails over a blackboard is coming from the top of the slide out. I hadn't take the unit out yet this summer and had completed the seal lubing and slide rail lubrication on all three slide outs. it didn't make the noise when I first extended the slide out. I can't find any marks to indicate friction anywhere. Let me know if you find out anything and I'll do the same.
wyoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:45 PM   #4

Finely got the squeaking screeching stopped. My unit didn't have any wear pads on the entertainment / dinette slide but had them on the sofa / kitchen slide. With help from members on this FR board and going through every part of the slide to find the horrible screeching it was decided that wear pads had never been installed on the dinette slide. Could not understand why the larger and heavier kitchen slide was so quiet and the smaller slide made so much noise. Got with the right FR person and ordered the pads. It came in about a week, the strip was 4' long. Cut two 5" pieces from the wear strip drilled and counter sink the screw holes and installed them. Now I have plenty if they wear out on either slide. So nice not to hear all that screeching whenever the slide is extended out or retracted. Also had to adjust the slide so it would completely seal when opened and closed. Took all of 1-1/2 hr to repair and adjust after all the aggravation of locating the trouble. Thanks so much to all the members that responded and helped me through this.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0566.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	449.6 KB
ID:	81966

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0567.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	465.4 KB
ID:	81967
Old 08-28-2015, 09:11 PM   #5

my noise and problem

check link below and let me know if sounds like yours? thanks.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...eel-88298.html
quick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:26 PM   #6

squeek

mine sounds just like this how do you fix it
okseabee70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:39 PM   #7

Was only the rails inside. Had to remove under belly and lube with lithium grease. It's the part of rails can not get to or see cause of under belly. My dealer showed me how to do. Hope that's all u need as well.
quick83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out