Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2017, 08:08 AM   #1

Slide-Out stabilizers

Has anyone seen a need for slide-out stabilizers to help prevent damage to the slide-outs? Camping World has these on sale and I was looking at them for use as another purpose. While looking over the specs it was noted that these help prevent the bending of the slide-out extension tubes that could occur over time. I never thought of that being a possibility. Has this type of damage been a problem for anyone? I could see it happening if you overloaded a slide, but through normal use, idk.
2020 F350 SRW Crew Cab
si camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:52 AM   #2

How does this work for the "Schwintek Slide System"? Youroo!!
Old 10-18-2017, 09:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
How does this work for the "Schwintek Slide System"? Youroo!!
I thought of that too. So is slide sag a problem for some or is this just a way to help sell the stabilizers?
2020 F350 SRW Crew Cab
Old 10-18-2017, 09:19 AM   #4
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I've thought about these from time to time over the years and as I recall, the consensus was to never use them because they can cause more slide align problems rather than help. If you need more stability in your rig, consider the JT Strongarms or BAL system to help stabilize the whole coach.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
I've thought about these from time to time over the years and as I recall, the consensus was to never use them because they can cause more slide align problems rather than help. If you need more stability in your rig, consider the JT Strongarms or BAL system to help stabilize the whole coach.
That's what I thought. If you propped a slide with one of these and then the camper settled onto the stabilizer for some reason that could be a problem.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2020 F350 SRW Crew Cab
Old 10-18-2017, 09:52 AM   #6

There are several discussion on the forum regarding this issue. The manufacturers say they are not recommended and that seems to be the general consensus here. The major concern is that should a shift occur, such as a slowly deflating tire, this would put a load on the slide and damage it.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:24 AM   #7

Camping World does not care what the manufactures state about their products (trailer with slides). Camping World is only out to make a profit by selling a product, regardless if it will damage a trailer or not.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:22 PM   #8
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
Camping World does not care what the manufactures state about their products (trailer with slides). Camping World is only out to make a profit by selling a product, regardless if it will damage a trailer or not.
It is not only Camping World. I have seen these for sale at many RV stores and Dealer shops.
They were once needed many years ago on a few units. Today every manufacturer I know of says DON'T use them.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, stabilizers