Old 04-09-2020, 08:56 PM   #1

Slide out Struggles to operate

Hi everyone,

I have a 2011 Flagstaff Classic Super Lite travel trailer. A few months ago I found a few ball bearings on the floor inside by my back slide out. The slide seemed to operate okay for awhile and this spring I opened it up and that slide really struggled to operate now to the point I have to help it back in. Any suggestions where to start or how I access the slide component to diagnose the problem?

Cgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:10 PM   #2

Our large slide with the fridge, pantry, stove and a couch really seemed to struggle going in or out while we were on our winter trip to Florida in February. To us it seemed like it was maybe out of alignment. Took it to the dealer and all they had to do was put some dressing on the rubber seals and something on the outside walls of the slide. Works very smooth now. They told us the biggest issue they find with the slides is something as simple as conditioning the rubber seals. Always knew we needed to use that slide-out rubber seal but never knew it could mess with the slide operation to the extent it did with ours.

badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:12 PM   #3

Not sure where the ball bearings would be from but maybe one or a few are under your slide causing it ti drag. Our dealer also told us one of the main items they find under slides that cause issues are flip flops.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:14 PM   #4

Thanks for the information. I have never conditioned or lubricated the slide. I assume somehow the bearing that was damaged is now rearing it’s head. I just wish I knew how to access it to check it out
Cgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:18 PM   #5

If you bring the slide in just enough to clear the floor, you can use a flashlight to look under it at least a short ways. I checked ours before I took it to the dealer and did find a small hard round pine cone type thing that I thought was our culprit.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:20 PM   #6

Someone with more know how then myself will probably chime in sometime but I did not know that we had bearings in our slide mechanisms.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:54 AM   #7
Head Rambler

That's likely a 'sofa' slide and the pinion gear pack has bearings and if they come apart, the balls will wind up on the floor.

Can you post pics of the slide mechanism?
Old 04-10-2020, 01:06 PM   #8

Slide out hard to get in.

You didn't say whether it is and electric slide or hydraulic. If it's hydraulic have you checked to see if the container has enough fluid.
djreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 01:11 PM   #9
NXR

Feel the sides of the slides. If they feel gritty even though they look clean, clean and wax them. When this happened to me on the road I was able to just use a wet paper towel and get the grittiness removed and it helped a lot (I did not have any wax or seal conditioner with me).

I used ArmorAll on the seals after we got back and they are all noticeably better. It's interesting how they kind of just get worse and worse and I did not notice.

Ray
Old 04-11-2020, 12:06 PM   #10

Slide sticking

We have a 2019 forester. We've only used a handful of times so far. Its 32' it has just 1 slide the full length of the unit. The roller under the stove/microwave area seems to stick. It just seems to be in that 1 location. It will love in and out but with issues. I have cleaned the floor area inside. We have sprayed the rollers. It seems a bit better but you can still see and hear the sticking issues. Anyone else experience this?
Martiy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:19 PM   #11
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martiy29 View Post
We have a 2019 forester. We've only used a handful of times so far. Its 32' it has just 1 slide the full length of the unit. The roller under the stove/microwave area seems to stick. It just seems to be in that 1 location. It will love in and out but with issues. I have cleaned the floor area inside. We have sprayed the rollers. It seems a bit better but you can still see and hear the sticking issues. Anyone else experience this?
I have the same model. When the slide starts to sound or move the least bit different I spray all the rollers with a graphite based lubricant. After application there is a very noticeable improvement in slide operation. It seems to need it every couple of months.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 04:12 PM   #12

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I have the same model. When the slide starts to sound or move the least bit different I spray all the rollers with a graphite based lubricant. After application there is a very noticeable improvement in slide operation. It seems to need it every couple of months.
Thank you for your reply. We seem to be at that same point. Seems a bit ridiculous to have to do that, but seems to be true!

Martiy29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out