Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2018, 11:44 PM   #101
Snappy-1

To old camper:
If you were going to buy a used camper, would you want one that had a very important item ( a go or no go item ) like your slide out put together by splices, solder joints and tape? Or would you want one with a new motor, new wire if necessary and no patch work?
I would be ( and I bet you too ) would be super upset if I found a patch job may leave me stranded. Stop hacking and fix the slide like a pro. You’ll be glad you did down the road. And if your proud of your patch job, then be sure to disclose your fix to the next buyer and see what he says. Not trying to be critical, but patching and soldering is not the way to go here.
snappy_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:41 AM   #102

Just read the complete story line here. Last guy I helped out did not even thank me for my time I spent responding to his questions. If you can get to this site go to internet and search. Lippert has all the needed info there.thats much faster then getting and using false info here.
Rv tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:53 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rv tech View Post
Just read the complete story line here. Last guy I helped out did not even thank me for my time I spent responding to his questions. If you can get to this site go to internet and search. Lippert has all the needed info there.thats much faster then getting and using false info here.
Excellent point! It is frustrating to offer assistance and often they never even come back to acknowledge your efforts.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 01:33 PM   #104

Quote:
RV Tech Thanks in advance for your help and advice. I will search the Lippert site. I won’t be using the trailer till next week. I will update you. Thanks

Tank
Tankmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:37 PM   #105

You tube is a great place for lippert support. They have videos for almost any and every problem you can experience with there products.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:20 PM   #106

Quote:
You tube is a great place for lippert support. They have videos for almost any and every problem you can experience with there products.
Thanks RV I appreciate it

Tank
Old 07-07-2018, 09:38 PM   #107

Find the controller and follow reset instructions.
Larry L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:57 PM   #108

Quote:
Well I will thank you RV Tech. This thread has helped me quite alot.

I tested the harness and it is good.

I got to the point where I was going to remove the motor, but I can't find the set screw outside. The weather stripping is glued to a rail outside. Then the rain came.

I think I figured out the reason for the Hall signal is to keep the motor speeds in sync.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:35 AM   #109

water damage

check you floor. Do you have water damage? When water hits that sh*t flooring that is common in RV, the glue disolves and the floor turns to dust. This changes the level of the floor. if you look at the track and gear underneath you may see that after a few inches, the gear will not reach the track. Long solution, replace the floor, which I am doing. You may be able to do a quick fix by cutting a strip of 1/4 in plywood and shoving it under the slide rollers. ( one for each) This may work
Paulred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 09:14 AM   #110

Slide outs not going out

There are some units out there that have a Battery Disconnect switch. This switch could be in the water compartment , Lp compartment or storage area if it is shut off it will have power shut down to the slide outs
Flowers65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:10 PM   #111

Quote:
Thanks again Rv I watched videos and followed YouTube and your trouble shooting guide. So far do good Thanks for the help

Tank
Old 07-26-2018, 10:46 AM   #112

Here is update to my situation.
First issue is loss of Hall signal for Motor 2 (front). So we have been using Override to operate.
Then total failure of Motor 1 with slide out at campground. Lifted motor 1 to manually push in the unit while operating Motor 2 in Override.
Removed Motor 1 and found Every wire broke off motor PC board
I soldered them all (6) back and reinstalled. It is working fine so far.
Motor 2 is difficult to get to, but I have to check it out soon.
I don't think installing techs take time to get wires installed properly.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:33 AM   #113

some of you guys are so mechanical - I'm impressed and jealous!!
Old 07-26-2018, 03:21 PM   #114

The first few years they used that style motor. Newer motors have a plastic connector on the motor so they don’t break off. On the older motors if you flatten the wires down and lay them down going across the cap.you can install 2 pieces of electrical tape in the shape of an X letting the ends go down the side 1”. Then wrap 2 layers of tape around the motor to secure the tape on the top. If you do this you won’t be breaking the wires at the solder points anymore.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:27 PM   #115

Some slides you have to remove the facial off the front to gain access to motor. I’ve had many that you would have to remove microwaves and the cabinets the are in just to get to the motor. They definitely don’t think about the people who have to repair these darn things.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:41 AM   #116

Quote:
The first few years they used that style motor. Newer motors have a plastic connector on the motor so they don’t break off. On the older motors if you flatten the wires down and lay them down going across the cap.you can install 2 pieces of electrical tape in the shape of an X letting the ends go down the side 1”. Then wrap 2 layers of tape around the motor to secure the tape on the top. If you do this you won’t be breaking the wires at the solder points anymore.
Just got back to internet.
Funny,but that is exactly what I did for strain relief.
I did pull Motor 2. Three wires were broken, but I may have pulled two during removal. There was some black sealant on them and I think they were glued to something making it difficult to remove.
Soldered them back on and now getting Hall error on Motor 1.

Pulled Motor 1 again to check wiring again,but it all measured OK.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:09 PM   #117

Swap the wires at the controller and see if the error goes to the other motor. If so the harness is damaged somewhere.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:51 PM   #118

Slide will not open

Matt (RV Tech),

You were a great help when I could not get my slide to work and it was your expertise that gave me the knowledge I needed to fix the broken motor wires. I am glad to see that you are still willing to help. Very Impressive.

One of the original motors in my trailer failed by wires breaking off at the small PC board in the motor. So I had both replaced and kept the working motor as a spare. Knowing that the wires tend to break at the PC board I coated them with RTV Silicone. This protects the wires and the connections.

Rich
Old Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:11 PM   #119
Sunseeker 3010DS

Rich, most of these people are giving you good advise. The slide will not work unless your batteries are good and I mean Good! not just reading 12 or 13 volys. You have no way of properly testing them and it is clear you don't have the ability to understand current, amps, and volts. I suggest you get someone that understands how to properly test a battery and take it in for regular maintenance. Good luck!
slamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:36 PM   #120

slamac,

What makes you think I do not understand volts and amps? I am a degreed engineer that has designed complex automation system. I have managed the design and construction of four 1,000,000+ sq. ft. distribution centers. Despite the early advice that I needed a new battery, a new battery did not solve the problem. I knew it was not the battery but I replaced it anyway because I am the first to admit that I do not know everything. It was the advice that RV Tech gave me that led me to the broken motor wires.
Old Campers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out