Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2022, 01:45 PM   #1

Slide out wire loom and zip ties questions

I have a new 2022 Rockwood mini lite 2205s. My dealer checkout experience was less than satisfactory. I have been going over every inch of the TT looking for potential problems/poor craftmanship issues I can address now. I am concerned the zip ties securing the wires under the slide out are cinched too tight and the imposed angles will end up damaging the wiring. Also when the slide retracts the wires are getting pinched.
Questions: 1. should I re do the zip ties so not so tight? adjust the wire loom to remove the angles/twists/turns? add wire loom or other protection so wires dont hang out and all wires are covered? Is there any fix or add on to keep the slide out bundle of wires from getting in the way of slide retraction?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220523_201521.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	298.8 KB
ID:	274453

Name:	20220523_201551.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	314.9 KB
ID:	274454

Name:	20220523_201706.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	317.9 KB
ID:	274455

Name:	20220523_201819.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	274456

Name:	20220523_175119.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	340.5 KB
ID:	274457
EvilBatmanKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 02:17 PM   #2

I would correct these deficiencies as soon as you are able. I did similar on my 2022 271RL upon receipt. Not correcting them now will be a back of mind nagging reminder that one day they will cause issue or fail. Correct them now while it is clean under there and you can readily access and not have to replace in the future.
Unfortunately the workmanship is not what you would expect considering the price you have paid for the rig. Sad state of affairs when we no longer have pride in the work we produce.
jrschneider99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 02:39 PM   #3

jrschneider99 - thank you for confirming my concerns. I am going to fix the wiring this week. And, yes, I am extremely disappointed in the quality of the workmanship and profound lack of knowledge at the dealer site.
EvilBatmanKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 02:45 PM   #4
clr

You do not want the slide movement to pinch the wires. Your bottom photo seems to show a plastic wire carrier that will flex when the slide closes, that has the wires attached to it. I would say most of your wiring pictures look ok to me, while the zip ties may be a little too tight, they do not look to me to be replacement tight.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 08:24 AM   #5

Probably...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
You do not want the slide movement to pinch the wires. Your bottom photo seems to show a plastic wire carrier that will flex when the slide closes, that has the wires attached to it. I would say most of your wiring pictures look ok to me, while the zip ties may be a little too tight, they do not look to me to be replacement tight.
Probably not too tight. And all those twists give room for flexing when the slide goes out and in.

But I would certainly pull the loom so it extends through the hole in the bulkhead (picture 3). Having just the wire chafing is asking for a future problem. May have to cut a few Zip ties to slide the loom along the harness until an inch or so is through that hole.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:29 AM   #6
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
By all means, check your harness and low arch how it might rub or bind. What seemed like a minor issue on mine, the harness beyond where it ties into the flex arm, would cause the gas line to be forced against a sharp edge of the steel framing to the slide while closed up. Started getting an occasional whiff of gas when in the midway position. Finally figured out where while on a trip a bit ago. Went to hardware and got a barbed fitting to finish the trip. Got home, went to a hose place nearby who made me a replacement. Filed the sharp edges, routed the hose and clamped it different, problem solved.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
question, questions, slide, slide out, wire