Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2020, 11:27 AM   #1

Slide out won’t move

Hi. I have a 2015 sandpiper 3010k bunkhouse 5th wheel. After winter storage my slide outs won’t move. Everything else works just fine. It’s the hydraulic slide outs and I can actually get the slide outs to move like normal if I hook my battery jumper pack up to the unit it’s self. But if it’s hooked up to batteries like normal and hooked up to 120 volts it won’t move. I have checked all the fuse I can find. Any ideas on what I need to Check would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Jason Madrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 11:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Madrid View Post
Hi. I have a 2015 sandpiper 3010k bunkhouse 5th wheel. After winter storage my slide outs won’t move. Everything else works just fine. It’s the hydraulic slide outs and I can actually get the slide outs to move like normal if I hook my battery jumper pack up to the unit it’s self. But if it’s hooked up to batteries like normal and hooked up to 120 volts it won’t move. I have checked all the fuse I can find. Any ideas on what I need to Check would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
First, ensure your batteries are fully charged and that they are healthy. Make sure any battery cutoffs are in the correct position. Then look for these resettable circuit breakers somewhere between the battery and the hydraulic pump. Push the little black button (on the top in the picture). Try these easy things first before going further.Click image for larger version

Name:	m_75105_primary (1).jpeg
Views:	115
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	226884
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 12:02 PM   #3

I found the little circuit breakers you pictured. I have two of them. But unfortunately neither one of them has a little black button on top to reset. What are the battery cut off you mentioned. I’m not sure what to check on that
Old 04-14-2020, 12:13 PM   #4

Unless they are auto reset breakers, they should have a button on one of the sides.
Your unit might not have a battery cutoff switch. It is just a switch, usually close to the battery (but not always) on the pos or neg cables that when turned on, breaks the circuit, effectively separating the battery. People use them when storing their RV, or wish to isolate the battery from recharging via the converter.
It sounds like your batteries might have died during storage. The hydraulic motor runs from the battery, so if they are dead, the converter will take a long time to recharge them enough to run the high demand slides.
If batteries are good, all fuses are good, then it's time to get out the multimeter and see where your power stops.
Old 04-14-2020, 12:24 PM   #5

I was having an electrical problem a long time ago and by chance was looking under my steps and saw a part just like the one in the picture except that the plastic area had come out from the case. Got a new one from NAPA and all was good. This could be an automatic circuit breaker so no button.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 12:26 PM   #6

Ok. I don’t have a battery cut off switch. I did have the batteries out of the trailer for winter and stored them in my garage. After I put them back in I put the battery charger in it for a couple days on a slow charge. After I figured out how to get the slide out to work with the battery pack we went camping for the weekend. And everything worked as it should and the batteries kept the normal charge for a typical weekend. I will try and pull those circuit breakers off of the mount and look for the reset on the mount side. Maybe it’s covered up. If that doesn’t work I’ll try to borrow a multi meter and see what I can find.
Old 04-14-2020, 12:46 PM   #7

Good luck and let us know what you find!
Old 04-14-2020, 12:51 PM   #8

Have batteries load tested. Oreilly, Auto Zone, etc, will load test free of charge.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 12:51 PM   #9

If the slides work off of the battery pack the breakers and fuses are okay. If the battery sat all winter without a trickle charge on it you might have to replace it.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 12:58 PM   #10

I’m not familiar with your 5ver but it may be common amongst some FR models.

Look in the front basement and see if you have a half round panel that you can look behind and see if you have the resettable breakers as in pics below..this will be mounted back against the bulkhead behind this panel or look something like it.. those little black dots are actually small reset switches, just push to reset.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A3B9AF7E-522A-4476-9149-9A23887EAB99.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	381.2 KB
ID:	226887   Click image for larger version

Name:	C56820C7-14F2-4DD3-970B-930E5722EB6B.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	226888  

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 12:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
If the slides work off of the battery pack the breakers and fuses are okay. If the battery sat all winter without a trickle charge on it you might have to replace it.
That makes sense..

Old 04-14-2020, 01:14 PM   #12

Will do. Thank you
Old 04-14-2020, 01:17 PM   #13

I found my circuit breakers. I have two. But they do not have any black buttons to reset. And I have two fuses that go to the motor. One 10 amp and one 20 amp and they both are good. I think I will try to load test the battery and see what I get.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
I agree if he attached the battery pack to the battery leads. If he attached it to the pump, then no, which is what I assumed from his post. Could very well be wrong.
And if his battery(s) were fully charged when he took them out of the unit for the winter, they should be good for 3 - 4 months w/o a trickle charger. I've done that often.
I'm always curious as to what the real cause is the case so I can store that info for the future if it happens to me
I'm betting on bad batteries or loose connections.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:31 PM   #15

Jason, Where did you attach your portable power pac? To your batteries with the jumper cables? Everything worked then, correct? How about your 12 lights etc in the camper? Check your 12VDC wire connections between your batteries and the pump Grounds included. Maybe the extra power provided by the power pac was what the pump required, 12vdc can do some strange things. Get a multi-meter, check a few you tubes on how to use it. Check out in the library on this site the 12vdc articles and come back and let us know what you found.
Also, be sure and treat the slideout seals with the proper cleaner/conditioner and wax the slide out walls and roof. This will cut down on the power requirements to move the slide.
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 01:59 PM   #16

I attached the jumper pack to the hydraulic motor it’s self. I tried attaching it to the battery cables with the batteries hooked up and nothing changed. Still wouldn’t move. It’s acting like it has a blown fuse somewhere I think. But I’m not real good with that kind of stuff. I’m not sure if this make a huge difference but I use two six volt batteries wired in series to get the 12 volts. I’ve ran it like that for about 3 years and have never had a problem till now. Maybe the batteries are ruined after sitting in the garage all winter. But I’ve stored them the same way every winter since I’ve had them and never had a problem. All my connections are tight. The only thing I haven’t done is load test the batteries. I’ll try to test them when I get a load tester might take awhile. I’ll try looking under the stairs to see if there is something in there to reset or check.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:38 PM   #17

Bad or weak batteries can definitely cause fuses and mini circuit breakers to trip (all 12v). Now finding them all can be very challenging
And I have had both auto reset and resettable 12v circuit breakers fail. Easy to find replacements at most auto parts stores.
If batteries load test good, the multi tester will let you know if those circuit breakers are still good.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:40 PM   #18

Quote:
I attached the jumper pack to the hydraulic motor it’s self. I tried attaching it to the battery cables with the batteries hooked up and nothing changed. Still wouldn’t move. It’s acting like it has a blown fuse somewhere I think. But I’m not real good with that kind of stuff. I’m not sure if this make a huge difference but I use two six volt batteries wired in series to get the 12 volts. I’ve ran it like that for about 3 years and have never had a problem till now. Maybe the batteries are ruined after sitting in the garage all winter. But I’ve stored them the same way every winter since I’ve had them and never had a problem. All my connections are tight. The only thing I haven’t done is load test the batteries. I’ll try to test them when I get a load tester might take awhile. I’ll try looking under the stairs to see if there is something in there to reset or check.
Check the mini breakers I show in the pics in previous post if you have them..

If the breakers were not tripped the pump should do something, make a click sound or try to run.

Old 04-15-2020, 10:50 AM   #19

Please follow thru with your resolve.
This can be important information for my future camping needs
Thanks
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 10:06 PM   #20
Just as confused as you

Quote:
You don't need to buy a load tester, just take the batteries to any auto parts store. O'reilly, Auto Zone, NAPA, etc, will load test free of charge.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out