Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2017, 01:39 PM   #1

Question Slide problem

I have a 2013 Tracer model 235FBS. On a recent trip after camping we closed up the slide with NO problems. However, when we got home I tried to OPEN the slide and, got nothing... Not even a sound, clicking, grinding... NOTHING. It appears that when my wife put the slide IN the switch stuck in the close position and didn't "spring back to neutral". I have checked all the fuses and circuit breakers. They appear fine. The switch is still sticking and, won't return to the middle unless you push it there. I unscrewed the switch from the wall and, pulled it out. It appears to plug in to a connector..???? Do these go bad.?
Any suggestions on what might be the problem..?
Also, If I wanted to manually retract the slide out I would have to remove the decorative panel at the inside top of the slide. [ It says TRACER on it ]. It appears to be something that can be removed but, how.??? How in the heck to you get at the motor.?.. It's 3 feet back in there and, looks unreachable..!
Old 08-25-2017, 07:33 AM   #2

Ok...Here is an update:

I bought an electrical tester and double checked a few things. It appears I have NO power at the switch. I have a good deal of electrical experience with residential wiring but, none with 12 volt systems. I am baffled here. Any suggestions on what might be wrong here.? I assume the current has to go thru the switch BEFORE it gets to the slide motor....
HELP....!
Old 08-25-2017, 07:53 AM   #3

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
Does your slide-out have a controller / brain box hiding somewhere ??? (On ours, it hides in the water pump compartment under the fridge, don't know if our models are real similar or not.) That sort of begets the question, is yours a Lippert/Schwintek slide (with the long aluminum "gear" rails along the sides of the slide at the top AND bottom) or a different type ???

(Image of controller in our 2015-model Tracer 235, built in Fall 2014, attached)

You should see +12 Volts on the center lead of the controller switch, if it is using a SPDT (Single-Pole-Double-Throw, or 3-pin) switch. On ours, that +12 volts is NOT sourced from the same place as the slide controller ... yeah, kinda strange.

If you have that kind of controller, bug out if there is good 12 Volts at that point. BE CAREFUL of course, do NOT reverse these, and there is plenty of current available so don't short anything. Ours is on a separate feed from the battery junction point towards the front A-frame, with a separate thermal circuit breaker from the line that goes back to the Converter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170729_241853936-R.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	404.9 KB
ID:	149584   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2738-RR.jpg
Views:	1033
Size:	400.0 KB
ID:	149585  

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:16 AM   #4

Dear Jeff and, Abby, Although I have the same model Tracer I believe my slide is a Norco Accuslide brand. I have no idea if mine has a "brain" all the factory manual has is a "genaric" picture of a slide motor [it's NOT even the one that I have] and, about 4 sentences of info. Thank God this didn't happen with the slide in the OUT position. I very much appreciate the info you gave me and, I'll look between the fuse panel and, the switch for a brain/controller. That certainly makes sense that there is SOMETHING between those 2 points because I have 12 volts at the fuse but then nothing at the switch..! I wish the factory would give me some help but, as of this point ...nothing..!
Old 08-25-2017, 09:49 AM   #5

I would venture to say you have a Lippert above floor slide out. In this case..I would also venture you have no controller, but this is based on my MINOR experiences. Mine has separate breakers in the fuse panel/circuit box for the slide. IMO if the motor didn't burn up or burn a connection... the breaker did. JMO
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:54 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by saunts View Post
Dear Jeff and, Abby, Although I have the same model Tracer I believe my slide is a Norco Accuslide brand. I have no idea if mine has a "brain" all the factory manual has is a "genaric" picture of a slide motor [it's NOT even the one that I have] and, about 4 sentences of info. Thank God this didn't happen with the slide in the OUT position. I very much appreciate the info you gave me and, I'll look between the fuse panel and, the switch for a brain/controller. That certainly makes sense that there is SOMETHING between those 2 points because I have 12 volts at the fuse but then nothing at the switch..! I wish the factory would give me some help but, as of this point ...nothing..!
If you do in fact have a Norco AccuSlide, (BAL) here is a link to a manual.
It's 15 pages. Possibly more information than 4 sentences.

Norco Slide

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:04 AM   #7

Hmmmm. Trying to help and prolly wasted your time.... it prolly is an Acuu-Slide which means none of my other info applies. Sorry
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 02:31 PM   #8

I got an online download of the Norco slideout manual. However, The Manufacturer [ Forest River / Primetime ] decides HOW they route the wiring from the fuse box to the slide out switch. Only THEY know if there is a controller, "brain", or fuseable link between the fuse box and, the switch. Perhaps another member of this forum knows also..??? If so, I need to know WHERE it is located so I can repair or replace it.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:02 PM   #9

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
Sorry we couldn't be more direct help, yours is a horse of a different colour than ours ... gotta love change, right ???

Perhaps you can alter, or have the moderators alter the thread title to include NORCO / BAL - might help attract someone who can help.

Good Luck !!!

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:19 AM   #10

Jeff and Abby, Actually your reply was very helpful..! It gave me hope that there is SOMETHING between the fuse panel and, the slideout switch. I am a pretty fair electrician and, I simply could not understand why I had power at the fuse panel but none at the switch...
I am now looking for one of those controllers in my RV. I have now also considered the possibility that the wiring goes directly from the battery to the switch with it's own dedicated inline fuse somewhere.
Anyways, Thank you for your information...
I wish the factory was as helpful. Still no reply from them..!!

Tags
slide