Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2024, 10:00 PM   #1

Slide slipped a gear

I have a 2020 Cedar Creek Silverback 33ik 5th wheel. We're on the road about 1500 miles from home near Rapid City South Dakota. We had some high winds (65 mph gust) and we put the upwind slides in as we have toppers. One of the slides is the kitchen and we had to put it out and back in to get to a few items (kitchen slide). Well it slipped a few teeth and and one side lacked about 4" or so of going back out. We got it repaired (readjusted) and continued on. It slipped again at the next stop though only about 1" off. I nursed it the next time by running the other two slides first then locking them out and ran the kitchen slide by itself, no further out of wack other than the 1". I had contacted the tech that had worked on it as he said the gears may be worn and need replacement. He tried this week to find new gears and had no luck...seems to be the norm with most things these days.

Looking for suggestions if anyone has had luck in getting new gear packs for their slide or have suggestions. Think we will start back home tomorrow and keep our fingers crossed.Click image for larger version

Name:	cc gear.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	290.2 KB
ID:	300137
jannjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 06:14 AM   #2

That round gear on top definitely looks worn out and possibly the rollers.
Also looks like all the other parts should be clean up and lubed were needed.

Your trailer isn't that old so hopefully you can find the parts.
Mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 08:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannjim View Post
I have a 2020 Cedar Creek Silverback 33ik 5th wheel. We're on the road about 1500 miles from home near Rapid City South Dakota. We had some high winds (65 mph gust) and we put the upwind slides in as we have toppers. One of the slides is the kitchen and we had to put it out and back in to get to a few items (kitchen slide). Well it slipped a few teeth and and one side lacked about 4" or so of going back out. We got it repaired (readjusted) and continued on. It slipped again at the next stop though only about 1" off. I nursed it the next time by running the other two slides first then locking them out and ran the kitchen slide by itself, no further out of wack other than the 1". I had contacted the tech that had worked on it as he said the gears may be worn and need replacement. He tried this week to find new gears and had no luck...seems to be the norm with most things these days.

Looking for suggestions if anyone has had luck in getting new gear packs for their slide or have suggestions. Think we will start back home tomorrow and keep our fingers crossed.Attachment 300137
Gear packs are available on Amazon. Count the number of teeth on the (pinion) gear and order accordingly.

I replaced them on my 2018 Microlite, finding price good and delivery quick.
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 08:52 AM   #4
wls

I measured and counted the teeth, and got one on Amazon, carry it with me.
2008 Dodge 3500 Dually, Cummins. Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter, 36 Gal aux fuel tank. Mag Hytec Trans pan. Mag Hytec Diff Pan. 6 speed autostick. 3:73, Timbrens, Smarty JR. Equipped.
2016 Cedar Creek 38FB2, Hydra Star disc brakes,
400 watt Rich solar on top,200 watts of suitcase
wls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide