Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #1

Slide starts and stops

I have a 2004 Reflection motorhome. When pulling the living room slide in it will stop momentarily then start up again. It will do this several times before if closes up. On a couple of occasions it has done this even when pushing the slide out. I have the unit plugged into shore power. The slide room also seems to tip out at the top quite a bit, but I don't recall if it always did this or not, just kinda took note of this since this problem started. Also, when we are travelling, sometimes when we get a big wind gust or meet semis the top of the slide will suck out and bang back in. Is there an adjustment for this anywhere. I cannot see any of the slide mechanism from inside or from under the motorhome as everything is closed in. The hydraulic pump has the proper fluid level as well. The rear bedroom slide works fine.
Blue Oval Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Oval Man
I have a 2004 Reflection motorhome. When pulling the living room slide in it will stop momentarily then start up again. It will do this several times before if closes up. On a couple of occasions it has done this even when pushing the slide out. I have the unit plugged into shore power. The slide room also seems to tip out at the top quite a bit, but I don't recall if it always did this or not, just kinda took note of this since this problem started. Also, when we are travelling, sometimes when we get a big wind gust or meet semis the top of the slide will suck out and bang back in. Is there an adjustment for this anywhere. I cannot see any of the slide mechanism from inside or from under the motorhome as everything is closed in. The hydraulic pump has the proper fluid level as well. The rear bedroom slide works fine.
Who is the slide mech. Maker and what is operator style? Oil pistin, oil gear drve, cablle, direct motor. I suspect the slide framework is way out of alignment side to side and top to bottom. Would guess any mfg would provide for these adjustments.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #3

I have no idea of the slide maker. There is nothing about the slide in the motorhome paperwork. It is a hydraulic system with a ram, the hydraulic fluid is to proper level. Could it be a weak circuit breaker cutting in and out? The hydraulic pump doesn't seem to be overworked like the slide is catching on anything and sounds the same as the smaller bedroom slide.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Oval Man View Post
I have no idea of the slide maker. There is nothing about the slide in the motorhome paperwork. It is a hydraulic system with a ram, the hydraulic fluid is to proper level. Could it be a weak circuit breaker cutting in and out? The hydraulic pump doesn't seem to be overworked like the slide is catching on anything and sounds the same as the smaller bedroom slide.
It doesn't matter for now cause you said enough. Pistons and pump is what I was looking for. When two pistons are driven by one pump, the fluid goes to the one with the least resistance. Resistance caused by the mechanism of support the moving slide. Its quite common, my two long slides do it also on occasion. From what you described of the alignment side to side and vertical its enough to cause the crabbing. When piston A proceeds and B lags behind, eventually A will start to bind and B will catch up. Its not a power issue but a mechanical one. You should find who makes the assembly and follow the maintenance suggested. Another thread today has shown a bent piston actuator for a similar reason. Not fun! Oh yes the pump doesn't react as long as A or B is moving. Good luck with it.....

Vince
Old 06-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply's Vince. I've played with this thing most of the day and really can't find anything obviously wrong. The only adjustment I can find would be at the bottom for the side to side adjustments, can't find any for the up/down. My slide only has one hydraulic cylinder in the center so I guess your theory about piston A and B will have to be thought out some more. I have watched the fluid returning into the tank as the cylinder retracts and it is not the least bit foamy or appear to have any air bubbles in it at all. The pump motor stays nice and cool, when the slide stops moving I have wiggled it around and it seems to be free from any binding and I even silicone all the rubber seals to make sure they were not sticking together.
I looked around some more to try to find some kind of manufacturer markings but no luck. I phoned the Forest River tech number to try and get some info, but they say they do not support the Reflection anymore and couldn't help me, sounds like some terrible support for a unit that they built and now won't even look at or talk about.
Any more ideas would be appreciated but am running out of ideas on my end, might have drive the six hours to a service shop and leave it there for a week while they try to fit it in.
Thanks for the help so far.
David.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Oval Man
Thanks for the reply's Vince. I've played with this thing most of the day and really can't find anything obviously wrong. The only adjustment I can find would be at the bottom for the side to side adjustments, can't find any for the up/down. My slide only has one hydraulic cylinder in the center so I guess your theory about piston A and B will have to be thought out some more. I have watched the fluid returning into the tank as the cylinder retracts and it is not the least bit foamy or appear to have any air bubbles in it at all. The pump motor stays nice and cool, when the slide stops moving I have wiggled it around and it seems to be free from any binding and I even silicone all the rubber seals to make sure they were not sticking together.
I looked around some more to try to find some kind of manufacturer markings but no luck. I phoned the Forest River tech number to try and get some info, but they say they do not support the Reflection anymore and couldn't help me, sounds like some terrible support for a unit that they built and now won't even look at or talk about.
Any more ideas would be appreciated but am running out of ideas on my end, might have drive the six hours to a service shop and leave it there for a week while they try to fit it in.
Thanks for the help so far.
David.
No problem, did this (troubleshooting for a living). Via phone, telex or letter. My next thought, no not dealer) is can you see tle piston during its stroke? I' wondering does the "hesitation" occur near the same position each time? If you could mark the rod with indelible ink you coud tell. What i'm thinking is if the cylinder has a worn or gouged flat spot, then when the piston comes by the oil may escape past the seal and retun to the tank, not push the piston.eventally the pump volume would overcome the leak and contine on its way. Of course these are ony ideas, no maker, dwgs, instuctions or info makes a touch challening for us both. Even still hydraulics on a tractor, truck, ship or RV follow the same principles. While someone operates the slide, maybe you can listen to the cylinder during its stroke, for a sound change. If you find some like this, a hydraulic repair shop would ce closer and cheaper than the "typical" RV repair
Old 06-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #7

OK. I found out the manufacturer by using a mirror and looking at the back of the pump. It is a Dewald system. It has a single ram with cables on a pulley system to keep the room in sync. My guess is one of the cables will need to be adjusted. I was able to find the manual for the system on this site from a gentleman that did his homework and put links up, forget his user name, but if you read this, thanks. Haven't had a chance to look at the system yet today but having the manual will make this a whole lot easier. Thanks Vince for the suggestions.
David.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #8

Great! Navigating caves is always easier with a light!
Old 06-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Great! Navigating caves is always easier with a light!
Yes. HaHa. Yes it is.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #10

See now Dave, it would be much easier if it were on a GM chassis

Shaun
Old 07-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridersfan View Post
See now Dave, it would be much easier if it were on a GM chassis

Shaun
Ya, then it would be a "Park Model"!
Why aren't you working?
Old 07-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #12

Haha, I'm working as hard as you... for less pay... something wrong here isn't there?
Old 07-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #13

Just a quick update here for those interested. Took the coach to the doctor who says the pump is the problem. Been a week now and they say another few days for a pump to get here. He says the control board for the hydraulic jacks is also malfunctioning, it gets so hot you can hardly touch it. This part is obsolete but they did find a place that rebuilds them but it will be a six week wait. I think I will get the pump relaced so at least the slide works and just not use the jacks till the coach is not in use for awhile, which will be quite likely in about six weeks.
David.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Oval Man View Post
Also, when we are travelling, sometimes when we get a big wind gust or meet semis the top of the slide will suck out and bang back in. Is there an adjustment for this anywhere.
Some campers come with slide locks, which are bars that tighten the top of the slide against the wall, which makes it nice and snug.
Many people who don't have the locks say they aren't needed, but your example clearly demonstrates why they are good to have.
Good to hear that your other issue has found a solution.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #15

I have heard these slide locks mentioned before but didn't really know what they are all about. Thanks for the short explanation bakken, I will look into these.
David.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #16

I have a 2005 Hitchhiker ll that does a similar thing. Upon retracting the slides the will come in for a while then stop. I wait a few seconds and push the button again, this may take three or four times. I see the oil tank is a little under half full, would it be low on fluid. I see no marks on the tank showing how full it should be. Regular automatic transmission oil.
Thanks
Bulydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:06 PM   #17

Hi Bulydog. My problem was definitely the pump. The new one fixed the problem and now works better than it ever has since we have owned this unit.
On your unit, I think I would want to top up the oil level. On my tank, the fill line is about 3/4 to the top of the tank. If your unit has been low of oil it may also have some air in the system and may take a couple of in/out rotations to get it all out and work smoothly. If I remember correctly I think the system uses Dexron III automatic trans fluid but you may want to go through your manuals just to make sure.
I still haven't had a chance to get my jack controller sent away, summer is a busy time and don't get a chance to use the motorhome a lot but have to get it done soon as, for me, the upcoming winter season is travel time.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #18

Thanks so much for he help. Have went through all the books and it just says fill with ATF, so will take your advice. Good luck with the jack controller. The time to get winterized isn't too far off for me, however will put it off for as long as possible and am always ready to un-winterize for a few days out.
Thanks
Bulydog
Bulydog is offline   Reply With Quote