Old 06-14-2020, 08:22 AM   #1

Slideout is noisy extending and retracting

I believe gear/screw is lubed. Would rubber gasket make noise sliding across tt alum skin? If so, is there something I can do to alleviate?
Many thanks in advance

mad.dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:00 AM   #2

There are a couple of slide seal conditioners on the market, I know 3M and Protect All makes one that you just apply to the seal with a cloth, you could try doing that and see if it makes any difference in the noise. You need to do this anyway every year at least to keep your seals from getting hard and breaking down.

Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:21 AM   #3
Usually Confused Member

The rollers can get noisey over time. A good dry lubricant sprayed onto the rollers while the slide is moving is good.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 04:35 AM   #4

Thanks all
mad.dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 01:32 PM   #5
NXR

I had this happen as well. Although the sides of the slides looked clean and shiny, when I ran my hand across them they felt gritty. I took a damp paper towel and wiped them them down to remove the grittiness and did the same to the side seals. The next time the slides were quiet and ever since.

Ray
Old 06-16-2020, 04:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I had this happen as well. Although the sides of the slides looked clean and shiny, when I ran my hand across them they felt gritty. I took a damp paper towel and wiped them them down to remove the grittiness and did the same to the side seals. The next time the slides were quiet and ever since.

Ray
Really important but often overlooked. Especially if one likes to boondock and they drive a lot on unpaved roads.

A dry swiffer sweeper to clean the side of the slides before retracting can go a long way to keeping the seals both quiet and long lasting.

Regardless of what is used, clean the sides before retracting. Also a good idea to sweep the floor before retracting, making sure nothing like small rocks or other objects haven't found their way under the carpet flap.

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:38 AM   #7

Donít forget to check/sweep the roof before retracting.
Roaminaround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:45 AM   #8

I find that if I use the spray silicone lube and really soak it while the slides are moving it does the trick. Spray all the moving parts underneath.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:01 AM   #9
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Really important but often overlooked. Especially if one likes to boondock and they drive a lot on unpaved roads.

A dry swiffer sweeper to clean the side of the slides before retracting can go a long way to keeping the seals both quiet and long lasting.

Regardless of what is used, clean the sides before retracting.
I didn't and I don't do that but we were parked in Florida for multiple weeks and that sandy soil got everywhere. I don't know if it was fine grands of sand I could not see, salt from the air, or what. I was really surprised when I ran my hand over the sides because they looked brand new but they sure didn't feel that way. The paper towels just looked dirty, not salty but salt does dissolve in water.

Thanks for the Swiffer idea. It would have saved me from dragging out the ladder and moving it all around the RV.

Why do you suggest a dry pad? Because of the alcohol-based ingredients in a Swiffer pad may damage the rubber seals or something?

"There are 4 ingredients listed: Water, Propylene Glycol n-Butyl Ether, and the mysterious “minor ingredients” and “preservatives”."

Ray

Tags
slide