Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2015, 08:03 PM   #1

slideout questions/ winter operation

We just purchased a 2008 Forest River which has a slideout that is about 13 feet long. Right now it seems to work very good. I am trying to learn about these so that I can prevent and fix any problems I might have in the future.
I find a lot of info on the web about Lippert- Schwinteh slideout mechanisms, however, looking at the bottom of my slideout, I do not see anything that resembles the L-P stuff I see on the internet. Could I have an earlier L-P mechanism then what is being installed now? Might I have a slideout made by a different manufacturer?
I am also wondering how below freezing temperatures affect the operation of the slideout. Will I run any risk of damaging anything if I operate it in very cold temperatures?

Thanks
fred wark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:35 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
I have no idea what type of slide you have without pictures but as far as winter operation I'll comment. Mechanically I don't think there is any problem, but I do concern myself that if moisture gets in between the outside wall and the rubber gasket and freezes that you might rip the rubber when you open the slide. For that reason I don't operate the slides when the temperature stays below freezing for extended periods.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 04:47 AM   #3

Thanks Lloydg It seems to me that looking up from underneath, I see a pair of square bars with holes along the entire lengths, which appear to be part of the movement mechanism. Maybe the "teeth" of a motor driven gear mesh into these hole to move the thing. I will have to look closely and take pictures the next time I am out there.
I know what you mean about the moisture freezing the rubber gaskets. I used to own an A-Liner pop up that had several rubber gaskets. The condensation formed in the winter from the heater warmed air hitting the exposed aluminum and rubber would freeze things together and I often had problems separating the two when it was time to fold the trailer down into travel position
Old 11-07-2015, 01:37 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
Your description of the bars with holes does not sound familiar to me. Maybe if you provide pictures someone who does will offer an opinion.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:00 PM   #5
New to FR. Old to TT

Good luck on winter camping, I love it but thr TT didn't, watch out for condensation on inside of windows. As for sticking rubber seals just use a good tire shine on them and the ice that may form won't grab the seals. I sell aircraft hanver doors for a friend and the owners want to get there doors open in the middle of winter and thats what I have told them and never had a complaint and the mate up to steel.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:53 AM   #6

slideout questions/ winter operation

Lloydg Attached to this post you should see 2 photos of the exposed mechanism below that actual slideoup. They look nothing like the photos that I find on the Lippert Schwintek website Mine has a motor driven shaft that runs a gear that meshs into the holes that are visible on the "sliding rail" This "rail" is attached via an axle like assembly, that extends toward the front of the trailer to operate another "sliding rail". The other photo shows what appears to be and adjustment mechanism located on the outward end of the "rail" that is nearest to the drive motor. Do you recognize this type of slideout mechanism? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0493.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	359.9 KB
ID:	95038   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0495.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	95039  
Old 11-26-2015, 10:00 AM   #7

looking at my pictures, and feeling a little proud of myself that I was able to get them to post, I see the access hole (that was cut in the underside plastic) to the motor and the tape that is holding it shut. I remember looking in and discovering that the motor appears to have been replaced a few years ago. There is a date of manufacture stamp on the motor, which indicates that it was made only a few years ago, much newer then the rest of the trailer. I will have to look again at the motor and get a picture of it. This might be useful in finding out the name of the manufacturer of the rest of the slideout
Old 11-26-2015, 01:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred wark View Post
Lloydg Attached to this post you should see 2 photos of the exposed mechanism below that actual slideoup. They look nothing like the photos that I find on the Lippert Schwintek website
I've not seen one just like this but it has a familiarity with Lippert. If I were you, I would send an email to Lippert customer service with the attached pictures and ask if they were manufactured by them and if they could supply you with the information you are seeking. Good luck.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:43 AM   #9

I'm not familiar with your slide mechanism, but WRT winter operation, I've never experienced any problems I can relate to the cold other than one night of heavy sleet that I had to scrape off before I could bring in the slides.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:13 AM   #10

I sent an email to Lippert Schwintek asking if this is one of there mechanisms. If I hear back from them, I will let you know what they say. Does anyone know of any other slideout manufacturers who might have built this?

Tags
slide, winter, slide out