Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2019, 06:07 PM   #1

Slideout Topper Awning

While driving thru high winds 60 mph gust in New Mexico my 16FT carefree SKOIII slide out topper awning started billowing after getting to safety I ducted it good to get me home. Once home after checking spring tension it was tight but when I install new fabric I will add another turn to spring tension. Question is would the front cover assembly (option) help with this if I added it or is it a waste of money? I talked with carefree and they didn't offer any advice all they said was it shouldn't happen. Thanks for any help

2013 Berkshire 390FL
2017 Jeep Wrangler
jman1725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman1725 View Post
While driving thru high winds 60 mph gust in New Mexico my 16FT carefree SKOIII slide out topper awning started billowing after getting to safety I ducted it good to get me home. Once home after checking spring tension it was tight but when I install new fabric I will add another turn to spring tension. Question is would the front cover assembly (option) help with this if I added it or is it a waste of money? I talked with carefree and they didn't offer any advice all they said was it shouldn't happen. Thanks for any help

I agree with Carefree, it shouldn't have happened at all but having said that, on some models there is a wind deflector that helps direct the wind around the topper. Your topper should be taught (not tight) when extended out. If it has any slack it may not be winding up tight enough allowing air to get underneath it and billow.
2020 Cedar Creek Hathaway 34IK, Reese 19K Sidewinder PB.
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:53 PM   #3

When putting in my topper on my new fifth wheel slide i noticed a lot of water coming off top. I am assuming when forest river installed this topper they did not get awning tight enough. Is there a adjustment to tighten this?
Thanks
Jimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:34 AM   #4

There is a tension adjustment. I don't know how, but I mentioned sagging on my PDI and they adjusted it. YouTube may help?
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:46 AM   #5
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimer View Post
When putting in my topper on my new fifth wheel slide i noticed a lot of water coming off top. I am assuming when forest river installed this topper they did not get awning tight enough. Is there a adjustment to tighten this?
Thanks
The RVgeeks have several Youtube videos on replacing slide topper awnings that may help you figure out how to adjust yours.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, slide