Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2020, 02:54 PM   #1

Solera 24WS Slide Roller Help Needed

First-time RV owner & catching up on considerable deferred maintenance from two prior owners.

The "whole wall" slide is only contacting 2 of the 6 rollers and sounds somewhat labored when moving out or in. Research here and elsewhere discusses Schwintek motor timing and recommended maintenance, but very little found about roller adjustment/alignment. I'm thinking that metal shims under the 4 inactive rollers might do the trick. Also, planning to replace the woefully inadequate 1" mounting screws on all 6 roller bases.

I'm in the camp with what seems to be a majority here that are somewhat disgusted with the build quality and service/repair workmanship of most RV brands and dealers. So, having a considerable amount of experience with cars, trucks and 18-wheelers, I'm attemping to tackle this issue on my own (and, hopefully with a little help from this forum).

Is anyone aware of a viable solution for this non-contact slide roller issue? Any suggestions or recommendations sincerely appreciated.

SC
Scarecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:32 PM   #2

I have been researching the rollers and have seen other owners shim them with automotive body shims. Good luck!
browser5031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:09 PM   #3

Cool Slide Roller Gap Repaired

Decided to proceed with my idea of shims under the rollers to bring them all into contact with the slide. First thing was to accurately measure the gaps between the tops of the rollers and the bottom of the slide. Did this with assorted drill bits and an old feeler gauge (you know, the ones we used to use to set the points on a distributor). Anyway, after measuring the gaps on the 4 rollers that weren't contacting the slide, I cut a 6 ft 4"x6" in half and made a "T" (with some Simpson metal ties) to support the slide with my floor jack. Then removed the roller assemblies in pairs, stripped off what was left of the peeling paint and repainted the roller support frame. Cleaned up the rollers themselves and cut up some assorted thicknesses of 1.5" wide steel strips for shim material. Also, ordered some #10 and #12 1.5" hex-head stainless screws to replace the pitiful #8 x 1" self tapping screws that were removed (over half the screws, particularly in the back, were not tight at all).

Then proceeded to reinstall the roller assemblies with assorted shims; the process became more of a trial and error effort as the roller frames only have contact at each end, whereas, the shims spread that contact out over the 6.5" length. Anyway continued removing, rehabbing and reinstalling the remaining 4 roller assemblies with various or no shims. The first effort netted contact with 5 of the six rollers (remember I started out with only two in contact)and one more shim "adjustment" brought all six rollers into contact. The Schwintek slide motors were noticeably less labored as we ran the slide in and out with all six rollers carrying the weight!
Scarecro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, solera