Slide Roller Gap Repaired
Decided to proceed with my idea of shims under the rollers to bring them all into contact with the slide. First thing was to accurately measure the gaps between the tops of the rollers and the bottom of the slide. Did this with assorted drill bits and an old feeler gauge (you know, the ones we used to use to set the points on a distributor). Anyway, after measuring the gaps on the 4 rollers that weren't contacting the slide, I cut a 6 ft 4"x6" in half and made a "T" (with some Simpson metal ties) to support the slide with my floor jack. Then removed the roller assemblies in pairs, stripped off what was left of the peeling paint and repainted the roller support frame. Cleaned up the rollers themselves and cut up some assorted thicknesses of 1.5" wide steel strips for shim material. Also, ordered some #10 and #12 1.5" hex-head stainless screws to replace the pitiful #8 x 1" self tapping screws that were removed (over half the screws, particularly in the back, were not tight at all).
Then proceeded to reinstall the roller assemblies with assorted shims; the process became more of a trial and error effort as the roller frames only have contact at each end, whereas, the shims spread that contact out over the 6.5" length. Anyway continued removing, rehabbing and reinstalling the remaining 4 roller assemblies with various or no shims. The first effort netted contact with 5 of the six rollers (remember I started out with only two in contact)and one more shim "adjustment" brought all six rollers into contact. The Schwintek slide motors were noticeably less labored as we ran the slide in and out with all six rollers carrying the weight!