Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2022, 03:53 PM   #1

Solera Slide Topper Issue - Repair Possible?

Installed a new Solera Slide Topper about 2 years ago. Having an issue now. Nothing major but Lippert says it's "not repairable" and that I'll need to replace (e.g. give them 300-400 more dollars).

Before I did that I wanted to check here since us TT/RV owners tend to be pretty resourceful when it comes to things like this.

Hard to explain the issue so see pics. I have no idea what this piece of plastic "tubing" (not sure what to call it... it's not really a tube since it's solid) does. Aside from it sticking out (slowly working it's way out further and further), it doesn't seem to be impacting the awning in any way.

I even manually unrolled the awning completely and had my wife try to push it back in through the channel in which it rides and she couldn't get it to move back in at all.

Anyone have this issue or seen it before? Any ideas on how to fix.

For now I'm content to leave it alone I guess since it's not causing any issues. I taped it back and out of the way (in a way that the awning could roll up without it causing any issues). If there's a fix though I'd like to fix it rather than replace.

Thanks for the info!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	topper02.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	277143   Click image for larger version

Name:	topper03.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	312.4 KB
ID:	277144  
OR_Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 08:11 AM   #2

That looks like the piece of spline that holds the awning fabric in the awning tube channel. Its hard to get it to go back in with any tension on the tube. You may be able to open the awning all the way and pin it then take the tension off the fabric and push it back in and use a zip screw to secure it. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:23 PM   #3
csc

I've got the same problem. I've tried with the awning completely extended, but it doesn't want to go back into the channel. Could I spray a lubricant on the spline to make it easier?
csc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 11:34 PM   #4

if the brackets and rollers or good you can just replace the material . go to shade pro for that . or remove fabric and slide cord back in .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 09:11 AM   #5

i doubt that you are going to be able to push it back in while attached to the roller. worst case is you disassemble the awning and separate the fabric from the roller. then try to push the spine back into the fabric. or push a this wire through and attach the spline to it and pull the spline back through the fabric. some lube like silicon spray helps. once you get the spline back into the fabric just reinstall the fabric into the roller. there are lot of youtube videos on how to do this. make sure you pin the roller spring when it is under tension! also once you get it back into the fabric and the fabric installed into the roller put a screw into the end of the channel to keep the spline from coming out again.
Old 10-01-2022, 10:57 AM   #6

I had a similar problem with my slide topper. The spline worked out because there was no screw installed at each end. Just a simile sheet metal screw installed in the channel to keep the spline from working out as the wind blows over the awning material.

I didn't try to push the spline back in but rather attacked the problem from the other end. I pushed some new spline material int the opposite end where the hem of the awninhg/topper material was hemmed and secured both ends with a self drill/tap sheet metal screw.

Has been fine for the last couple years and a LOT of miles.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 09:51 PM   #7
NXR

Solera Slide Topper Issue - Repair Possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike
I had a similar problem with my slide topper. The spline worked out because there was no screw installed at each end. Just a simile sheet metal screw installed in the channel to keep the spline from working out as the wind blows over the awning material.

I didn't try to push the spline back in but rather attacked the problem from the other end. I pushed some new spline material int the opposite end where the hem of the awninhg/topper material was hemmed and secured both ends with a self drill/tap sheet metal screw.

Has been fine for the last couple years and a LOT of miles.

I was going to suggest looking at the opposite side and seeing if you could push it in from that end after you cut the excess off. Then fill both ends with silicone sealant. I squirted that stuff into my awnings and they haven't worked their way out again.

One person said they extended the slide, grabbed the tube with a tool, maybe channel locks?, and rotated the tube slightly to take the pressure off. They were able to push it back in then.

Ray

Tags
repair, slide, solera