Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2016, 07:45 AM   #1

Split in slideout rubber seal

Just saw this rip in the top of my small slideout rubber seal. Anyone have any simple ideas as to how to fix it without replacing the whole rubber strip? What type of tape would work - ex. duck tape?? Any input would be appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide out Rubber.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	120163  
CLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:10 AM   #2

The flap part of the seal on the top of my main slide did the same. I tried gorilla tape and even eterna bond rubber roof tape, but there is just too much pull and tug when the slides go in and out for tape to hold. I ordered a new seal piece and replace the whole run.
My problem that caused the whole deal was the white glue they bond the unit together with. It oozed out and the seal stuck to it when the slide was retracted. When I opened it, it ripped the flap part. I removed the glue from various places around my slides and have not had the issue repeat. I see a bit of it on your seal as well.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:15 AM   #3

That's what I thought also about the tape. I was hoping that someone found a brand of tape that would hold. When you replaced the whole strip did you staple it on or screw it? I just wondering if my staple gun would go work?? Thanks
Old 09-14-2016, 12:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLewis View Post
Just saw this rip in the top of my small slideout rubber seal. Anyone have any simple ideas as to how to fix it without replacing the whole rubber strip? What type of tape would work - ex. duck tape?? Any input would be appreciated
Water and ice shield you would use on a house. They have small rolls for installing windows. It will hold and is also black. That is what I used.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:52 PM   #5

Where do you purchase it Home Depot?? What exactly do they call it? Thanks
Old 09-14-2016, 07:16 PM   #6

I replace the seal just like it was removed with screws at each end and silicone sealant along the length . I hope the water and ice shield works long term. I figured if Eterna Bond tape (like for rubber roofs) wouldn't hold ... nothing would.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out