Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2021, 12:04 AM   #1

Storage under seat (slide out) of dinnette

I just bought a 2018 Sonoma 220mbh. The U shape dinnette has seats that are hollow and do not have base. I can look from underneath and I can see that I can possibly install a base so that I could use them for more storage. But probably just for light weight items such as blankets, pillows and other linen items. Is it advisable to convert that area into a storage area? I wonder if the design is to leave it empty because of the slide out feature. Ty

Life is sometimes short, make the memories last longer- go RVing and just enjoy Life
roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:48 AM   #2

What floor are you talking about. Most are put together with a frame that a cover sits on and cushions and the bottom is the floor of the rig guess I'm confused. Are you saying that when the slide is out that area is open?
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:19 AM   #3

The sitting area itself of the dinnette(also slide out). If you pull out the cushions, there's a wood top cover but no bottom base. I wonder because the mfr does not want to add any weight in there when you start storing heavy items in there. It might put more stress on the slide out? Are yours available from the factory as storage area(underneath seats).my other tt I can use the bottom seats as storage area coz that does not have any slide outs. Ty

Life is sometimes short, make the memories last longer- go RVing and just enjoy Life
Old 08-04-2021, 09:55 AM   #4

Yes these are used for storage on rigs thats the reason the part supporting the cushions is not screwed down. Most have a hole drilled in them for lifting.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:48 PM   #5
Chris and Cecil

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster View Post
I just bought a 2018 Sonoma 220mbh. The U shape dinnette has seats that are hollow and do not have base. I can look from underneath and I can see that I can possibly install a base so that I could use them for more storage. But probably just for light weight items such as blankets, pillows and other linen items. Is it advisable to convert that area into a storage area? I wonder if the design is to leave it empty because of the slide out feature. Ty
Fir what it’s worth when we removed our u-shape dinette to put in recliners I was worried about weight so called forest River. They advised not putting more than 150 lbs in slide. I didn’t tell ‘em we were removing dinette but got confirmation they meant not more than 150 lbs in the slide IN ADDITION TO THE WEIGHT OF THE DINETTE. That included overhead storage too.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:02 PM   #6

The Cherokee 38P had the same classic style dinette. It has the plywood lift-out seat bottoms that open into pullout drawers. You can use the lift-out access any time, but the drawers only when the slide is out.

The OP should make sure his seat areas actually have a bottom and the contents won't be dragged across the floor when the slide is operated.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 03:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
The Cherokee 38P had the same classic style dinette. It has the plywood lift-out seat bottoms that open into pullout drawers. You can use the lift-out access any time, but the drawers only when the slide is out.

The OP should make sure his seat areas actually have a bottom and the contents won't be dragged across the floor when the slide is operated.
If his is like mine, when the seat bottom is lifted you see carpet that looks like the carpet on floor area of the dinette. It can give the impression there's no bottom but there really is.

To prove it, extend the slide and look under the seat. The same floor where your feet rest while sitting on benches extends underneath the seats themselves.

As for how much weitght? I'd definitely stick to <150#. Any more will definitely strain the rollers and slide mechanism. More than a few have come here posting about damaged slide rollers and mechanism. Perhaps too much weight stored in this area.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 05:53 PM   #8

I use the area under the Dinette seats for storage. The Dinette is on the slide out, along with a queen sized sofa bed and overhead storage cabinets that we use for storage.I think that all the items that we store in the slide out weigh close to 150 to 200 lbs. Never had any problem with the slide
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Yes these are used for storage on rigs thats the reason the part supporting the cushions is not screwed down. Most have a hole drilled in them for lifting.
The wood is screwed and there is no hole for me to lift that top panel. But per members' experiences here, I will go ahead and unscrew it and install a bottom panel as well. Thanks for the heads up on the weight limit all!

Old 08-04-2021, 08:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster View Post
The wood is screwed and there is no hole for me to lift that top panel. But per members' experiences here, I will go ahead and unscrew it and install a bottom panel as well. Thanks for the heads up on the weight limit all!
Curious why a bottom panel is needed. When the slide is out can you look up from the bottom underneath and see the bottom of the seats??

Slides have a bottom panel their full length and width. Anything you put under the seats or in any outside compartment in the slide sits on the slide floor.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Curious why a bottom panel is needed. When the slide is out can you look up from the bottom underneath and see the bottom of the seats??

Slides have a bottom panel their full length and width. Anything you put under the seats or in any outside compartment in the slide sits on the slide floor.
Finally opened that darn compartment. You are correct. I do not really need a base for it. If necessary maybe just about 12" past the carpet so nothing falls down from that end when the slide is all the way in. I have attached pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210804_202922.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	363.4 KB
ID:	260371   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210804_202626.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	260372   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210804_203342.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	373.1 KB
ID:	260373   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210804_203515.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	461.2 KB
ID:	260374  

Old 08-04-2021, 11:16 PM   #12

Storage Under Dinette

As others have mentioned, our dinette has drawers under each side that are the full size of the bench set.
Our dinette is not a U-shaped model.

You should be able to add either drawers or box the area in and provide access from above by removing the seat cushion and the plywood supporting the cushion.
Our storage area can be accessed either way.

One other item to think about, depending on the weight distribution of your specific model trailer, you may be able to put whatever you want to store there, or if the weight balance is already heavy in the area of the dinette, you may be limited to the items you mentioned, i.e. bedding and the like.

The only safe way to determine your best course of action is to have your loaded trailer weighed by individual wheel - trailer and TV.
This is information you probably need anyway so would be a asset to have this done.

At that point you can also determine weight balance side to side as well as front to back.

Good luck - this can be a really advantageous modification.
Quilter3446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 12:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilter3446 View Post
As others have mentioned, our dinette has drawers under each side that are the full size of the bench set.
Our dinette is not a U-shaped model.

You should be able to add either drawers or box the area in and provide access from above by removing the seat cushion and the plywood supporting the cushion.
Our storage area can be accessed either way.

One other item to think about, depending on the weight distribution of your specific model trailer, you may be able to put whatever you want to store there, or if the weight balance is already heavy in the area of the dinette, you may be limited to the items you mentioned, i.e. bedding and the like.

The only safe way to determine your best course of action is to have your loaded trailer weighed by individual wheel - trailer and TV.
This is information you probably need anyway so would be a asset to have this done.

At that point you can also determine weight balance side to side as well as front to back.

Good luck - this can be a really advantageous modification.
Yep. This could be a project. I like the convenience of the pull out drawers.

Tags
slide, slide out, storage