Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2019, 09:26 AM   #1

Storing in Open with Slides Out

I have seen several trailers being stored for the winter in areas with heavy snow fall that leave their slides out. Seriously, can the added weight of snow on those slides be good for the unit? We have always stored ours with the slides in, even under a covered storage. When I say heavy snow, not meaning just a skiff, but 4-8 ft of heavy, wet snow.
ijensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:45 AM   #2

I'd never store my TT with the slides out...period.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
Site Team

If you are talking in a storage lot, that would be pretty unusual anywhere, snow or not.

If you are talking about being on a dealer's lot, that may make some sense as they still have people walking through them.

There is always the possibility of water damage although I've seen pictures of workers standing on slides as well. So I think some can handle the weight.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
If you are talking in a storage lot, that would be pretty unusual anywhere, snow or not.

If you are talking about being on a dealer's lot, that may make some sense as they still have people walking through them.

There is always the possibility of water damage although I've seen pictures of workers standing on slides as well. So I think some can handle the weight.
If you can stand in them you should be able to stand on them . i get on mine as needed though i don't stand , hands and knees only
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
If you can stand in them you should be able to stand on them . i get on mine as needed though i don't stand , hands and knees only
I would think the floor of a slide can support more weight than a roof of a slide

But either way, I always store with mine closed.
KMANUEL74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 01:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMANUEL74 View Post
I would think the floor of a slide can support more weight than a roof of a slide

But either way, I always store with mine closed.
Roof of a slide is just as solid and just as think as the floor . not like the roof with 1//8 luan
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:25 PM   #7

24/7/365

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijensen View Post
I have seen several trailers being stored for the winter in areas with heavy snow fall that leave their slides out. Seriously, can the added weight of snow on those slides be good for the unit? We have always stored ours with the slides in, even under a covered storage. When I say heavy snow, not meaning just a skiff, but 4-8 ft of heavy, wet snow.
Our slides are out 24/7/365. I don't even know if the hydraulic system works. And the stabilizer jacks under the slides would have to be removed.

The roof on each slide is 15/32" plywood over 2 x 2 joists. Quite solid when I walk on it. No leaks, either.

We don't get too much snow in southeastern Virginia, but it's had at least 6" of wet and sloppy.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:00 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
And the stabilizer jacks under the slides would have to be removed.
They should be anyway.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:24 PM   #9

Never, Never, NEVER store for any extended period with the slides out. Snow or no snow. Too many crevasses for critters to get in, slide seals deteriorate more quickly from UV exposure, water leak potential in storms, not to mention any snow loads if you're in a cold climate. I could go on and on....
2corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:55 PM   #10

They've been there for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
They should be anyway.
They've been there for years. I check them periodically to make sure the slides are square with the trailer, neither sagging nor lifted.

Larry
Old 03-14-2019, 01:00 PM   #11

They've been that way for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2corvette View Post
Never, Never, NEVER store for any extended period with the slides out. Snow or no snow. Too many crevasses for critters to get in, slide seals deteriorate more quickly from UV exposure, water leak potential in storms, not to mention any snow loads if you're in a cold climate. I could go on and on....
They've been that way for years. No leaks. No crevices. The rubber seals are still soft and flexible. No snow issues.

The bigger slide has two skylights. Not the thick, rigid domes usually used, but simply flat sheets of 1/16" polycarbonate screwed down. The only issue I've had is the pine branch that went through one of them. But then I've had pine branches come through the regular vent, too.

Larry
Old 03-14-2019, 04:45 PM   #12

Store my rv with slides in. Am concerned with slide out awning covers getting stretched out from from weight of snow and or sagging with heavy rains. Strong gusty winds might tear fabric apart. If rv is unattended for a period of time slides stay in.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:13 PM   #13

Fortunately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by satdog01 View Post
Store my rv with slides in. Am concerned with slide out awning covers getting stretched out from from weight of snow and or sagging with heavy rains. Strong gusty winds might tear fabric apart. If rv is unattended for a period of time slides stay in.
Fortunately I have no slide covers. They would block the skylights in the slides, anyway.

Larry

Tags
slide