Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2020, 10:23 AM   #1

Sunseeker 3170DS Dead Slide

went into my class C after the winter to check everything out...I actually replaced both marine batteries as my tech told me they needed replacement at the end of the season last year. I put both slides out (after plugging into 120v) ...the front one stuck a little but it does that after sitting for the winter so I didn't think anything of it. Went to put the front slide back in and get NOTHING...no hum, no nothing. Back slide is still working fine and all other electrical devices work fine. Fuses look good. I actually replaced the 15A fuse for that slide just in case So...1) Does anyone know how to manually move the slides on this model? 2) Can anyone suggest troubleshooting things to eliminate motor replacement if it's not the motor? 3) Does anyone know how to replace this motor if it's dead? I think I see it under the slide floor under the couch but there's very little room to work on it.
Maybe Dead Slide is what the "DS" stands for in the model #!!
Any assistance is appreciated!
GGALLUZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGALLUZZO View Post
went into my class C after the winter to check everything out...I actually replaced both marine batteries as my tech told me they needed replacement at the end of the season last year. I put both slides out (after plugging into 120v) ...the front one stuck a little but it does that after sitting for the winter so I didn't think anything of it. Went to put the front slide back in and get NOTHING...no hum, no nothing. Back slide is still working fine and all other electrical devices work fine. Fuses look good. I actually replaced the 15A fuse for that slide just in case So...1) Does anyone know how to manually move the slides on this model? 2) Can anyone suggest troubleshooting things to eliminate motor replacement if it's not the motor? 3) Does anyone know how to replace this motor if it's dead? I think I see it under the slide floor under the couch but there's very little room to work on it.
Maybe Dead Slide is what the "DS" stands for in the model #!!
Any assistance is appreciated!
Would help to know the model year of your unit. Do you know the type of slide system it uses? If you did, there are manuals that can be found online to assist in troubleshooting.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Would help to know the model year of your unit. Do you know the type of slide system it uses? If you did, there are manuals that can be found online to assist in troubleshooting.
It’s a 2012. The part # on the motor I can see is 8532-08MS. I traced that to a company called Venture Mfg.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:09 PM   #4
2012 Solera

My 2012 Solera uses the Lippert Flush Floor Slideout mechanism. Found a manual on line here:

https://www.dutchmen.com/resources/m...nformation.pdf

There is a hex drive on the motor/gearbox mechanism for manual operation. Figure2 page 6 of the manual.

Don’t know if your Sunseeker uses the same slideout mechanism.

FYI
Jim
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:45 AM   #5

The diagram in the manual looks like the motor on mine. The weird thing is that the motor sits vertically on the floor not horizontally so it appears that the hex nut is under the floor, making it impossible to access...unless I am looking at the wrong thing...but the motor is unmistakably the same. I'm so frustrated! I am trying to sell it and I got a call on it yesterday! Just my luck...it's worked problem free for 5+ years...
Old 03-20-2020, 12:37 PM   #6

Quote:
The diagram in the manual looks like the motor on mine. The weird thing is that the motor sits vertically on the floor not horizontally so it appears that the hex nut is under the floor, making it impossible to access...unless I am looking at the wrong thing...but the motor is unmistakably the same. I'm so frustrated! I am trying to sell it and I got a call on it yesterday! Just my luck...it's worked problem free for 5+ years...
I was recently exploring my 2008 Sunseeker’s manual slide operation. I found the manual operation hex nut inside the exterior storage compartment; protruding down through the “ceiling” of the compartment. That would be consistent with the motor being mounted vertically.
Gregg.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 01:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
My 2012 Solera uses the Lippert Flush Floor Slideout mechanism. Found a manual on line here:

https://www.dutchmen.com/resources/m...nformation.pdf

There is a hex drive on the motor/gearbox mechanism for manual operation. Figure2 page 6 of the manual.

Don’t know if your Sunseeker uses the same slideout mechanism.

FYI
Jim
YES!! You're a genius and I'm an idiot!! I saw that the motor was located above the storage compartment and didn't have the presence of mind to open the door!! DUH!! Thanks so much! So I got the slide in...there was no strange sounds, no grinding or such, so I assume the problem is that the motor is burnt out. I may try to replace the switch in the panel above the fridge first because those motors are $600+. If it still makes no noise then it would pretty much HAVE to be that motor. Thanks again!!
Old 03-20-2020, 02:28 PM   #8

Definitely use a multimeter to check switch and wiring before the motor to ensure you have power all the way through.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:28 PM   #9

Quote:
YES!! You're a genius and I'm an idiot!! I saw that the motor was located above the storage compartment and didn't have the presence of mind to open the door!! DUH!! Thanks so much! So I got the slide in...there was no strange sounds, no grinding or such, so I assume the problem is that the motor is burnt out. I may try to replace the switch in the panel above the fridge first because those motors are $600+. If it still makes no noise then it would pretty much HAVE to be that motor. Thanks again!!
Do you have the keys in the ignition when I had mine 3170 the front slide would not work if they were in the ignition.
slgjeg435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by slgjeg435 View Post
Do you have the keys in the ignition when I had mine 3170 the front slide would not work if they were in the ignition.
Nope the keys were not in the ignition. The back slide is working fine. I bought a multimeter and will test the wiring as soon as it stops snowing here lol. I'm thinking it's definitely the motor sadly. Thanks for the reply!
Old 03-23-2020, 08:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Definitely use a multimeter to check switch and wiring before the motor to ensure you have power all the way through.

Great suggestion. I bought the multimeter and will test those wires soon. Thanks for the reply!
Old 03-23-2020, 08:35 PM   #12

Since you can get to the motor you can check it with a hammer. Have someone hold the switch in the direction you want it to go and give it several nice taps with the hammer. If it moves you need a motor.
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:57 PM   #13

By “it” you mean the slide I assume? I did this already but nothing happened.

Tags
3170, slide, sunseeker