Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2019, 07:57 PM   #1

Sunseeker Slideout only works if engine running

I recently purchased a 2019 Sunseeker 2250LS built on a Chevy 4500 chassis. We are currently using it for the first time and have found that the slideout only works if the engine is running. We are connected to 120V/30A shore power but the slider does not work with either that or when plugged into the generator.

This does not seem correct. While the owner's manual recommends that the engine is running when extending/retracting the slider, it seems like potentially a big problem if it can only work when the engine is running. There also does not seem to be any way to manually extend or retract the slider.

I would appreciate your input/experience. Nobody I have talked to has this kind of limitation.
Rossnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:33 PM   #2
Lame *****

Have you called the dealer and ask a tech about it?

Maggot
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot View Post
Have you called the dealer and ask a tech about it?

Maggot
Thanks Maggot, no, we are currently on our maiden voyage and will be returning home tomorrow but will certainly call the dealer when we return.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:48 PM   #4
Lame *****

If you can maybe call before you pull out. They may have some ideas or say stop by on your way home if you can?

Maggot
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:00 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Rossnet,

Thank you for being a part of the Sunseeker family.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences that you have experienced with your new Sunseeker. Your satisfaction is very important to us; accordingly, we invite you to contact Josh Cavitt in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: Forest River RV Direct Service Contact - Forest River, Inc..

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
ES_FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:02 PM   #6

I just purchased a 2020 Forest River Forester 3011DS on the Ford E-450 chassis and discovered not only that the engine had to be running to operate the slides but also to operate the leveling jacks and even the awning even when plugged into shore power! This seems really stupid to me, especially for the awning. We went camping for the first time a couple of weeks ago and were in a fairly crowded campground. We had close neighbors on both sides. We were sitting quietly outside and just after midnight it got really windy. I had to fire up the engine to retract the awning. On top of that, the awning control is on the monitor pad near the back of the unit where you cannot see the awning. I had to have my better half standing outside and yelling at me when the awning was fully retracted. There was no other way to tell. The neighbours were rightfully annoyed! What a dumb design. I cannot see the logic behind it. Makes you wonder if the designers have ever actually used the units they design. I spoke to my dealer and he asked me to bring it in so he can see if there is a way to rewire it with a switch by the door and to operate without having to fire up the engine.
HYDROG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:09 PM   #7
DW's 401(k) Plan

Wow, how things have changed! While I don't have any suggestions for either of you, my 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS has to be OFF for the Bigfoot leveling jacks to work or I get a warning buzzer. Seems strange the slide won't work while on shore power.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:57 PM   #8

sunseeker 3010DS

I don't know, but I have opened the slides on battery and on shore power, which is battery added, but I do have to have the e-brake and motor running to operate the leveling system. I think I will keep the address as I also just purchased a 2018 3010ds sunseeker.
SQROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 02:41 PM   #9

On my 2019 3011 dsf the engine must be running for the jacks and slides and awning to operate, was told this at the pdi, also had warning labels on the one control. I have operated the awning with the key in the on position, and the engine not running.
Badabbotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:04 PM   #10

We have a 2017 Sunseeker which since we bought we have had a problem with drain holes under slide and under slide wall leaking. We are on our 4th visit at dealership.
Each time they reseal the seals on the outside. This past time they sealed lower drain pan in the corner of slide opening and cut bulb seal to allow water to get out. We still have a leak under the couch through a drain hole. A hole that drains into the coach does not make sense to me and of course it still leaks but only when the weather is heavy rain.
They now want to take out the slide which I know this will be a big bill. They have covered all the other visits but come on.... This is not covered by the extended warranty since this is a used RV when we bought. I have just now texted the Forest River contact. Has anyone else had this type of problem?
Allen Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:21 PM   #11

Lightbulb

Sounds like a relay thing to me. It would make sense not to power the awning, landing gear and slide while driving but not parked. relays are made both ways with power on = switched power on [Ign] relay closed to allow current flow or switched power off [Ign] to allow power flow. Just my 2cents worth.
racengym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:23 PM   #12

Thanks Badabbotts,
I will try operating the awning with the e-brake on and the key in the on position but with the engine not running. But I still thing this is a poor design feature to have to do this.
HYDROG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:34 PM   #13

The slide outs on mine would NOT operate with the engine running. Stumped me one time when I was idling using the engine air conditioner and the Coach Air conditioner to cool it down quicker.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:12 PM   #14

This is a change FR made recently. Which to me makes no sense. There was an extensive thread a few months ago on the forum which will provide more info. It can be changed by a wiring change in the BCC.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badabbotts View Post
On my 2019 3011 dsf the engine must be running for the jacks and slides and awning to operate, was told this at the pdi, also had warning labels on the one control. I have operated the awning with the key in the on position, and the engine not running.
Thanks Badabbotts! Based on your comment, I attempted to operate the slider on shore power with the key in the on position but engine not running and found that the slider does operate in that configuration.

I also found that my awning operates on battery alone or on shore power without the need to place the key in the ignition.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDROG View Post
I just purchased a 2020 Forest River Forester 3011DS on the Ford E-450 chassis and discovered not only that the engine had to be running to operate the slides but also to operate the leveling jacks and even the awning even when plugged into shore power! This seems really stupid to me, especially for the awning. What a dumb design. I cannot see the logic behind it. Makes you wonder if the designers have ever actually used the units they design. I spoke to my dealer and he asked me to bring it in so he can see if there is a way to rewire it with a switch by the door and to operate without having to fire up the engine.
Thanks for your feedback. Based on Badabbots comments I found that my slider will operate on shore power with the ignition key in the on position but without having to have the engine running. I would be curious if that works for you as well.

I also found that my awning runs on battery alone or on shore power without having to have the key in the ignition.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:03 AM   #17

Have used my new 2019 Sunseeker 3010DS for 20 days the last 2 months. Have been extremely happy with it. Standard procedure is to get in place, leave engine running and put on E-brake. Auto level MH and then put out slides. Want to make sure that I have full voltage for equipment operation. Turn off the engine and remove key. Used the awning daily, in/out with no issues.

When we break down and leave, it is the reverse. Verify E-brake is on, start engine. Put in slides and then drop the jacks. Not a problem yet.
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:36 PM   #18
Dahagen

In my opinion if the slides and awning only work when the engine is running, there has to be a wiring error and the RV should be recalled to fix the problem. It is a safety issue. You could be going down the road and someone hits the switch, you are in trouble. My 2013 Mirada will not let the slides or awning move when the engine is running. I do use the jacks with the engine running, E-brake on, to save battery power.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahagen View Post
In my opinion if the slides and awning only work when the engine is running, there has to be a wiring error and the RV should be recalled to fix the problem. It is a safety issue. You could be going down the road and someone hits the switch, you are in trouble. My 2013 Mirada will not let the slides or awning move when the engine is running. I do use the jacks with the engine running, E-brake on, to save battery power.

Engine running, parking brake on, trans in park, then operate the slides or jacks, will not operate in Motion!
Badabbotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:52 PM   #20
Dahagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badabbotts View Post
Engine running, parking brake on, trans in park, then operate the slides or jacks, will not operate in Motion!
If you can't put the slides out with the engine off, you must have a battery problem!
PS If you put the transmission in Drive with the engine running and turn off the E-brake, will the slides retract automatically before you can move?
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, sunseeker