Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2017, 09:57 AM   #1

Support jacks and frame damage

I removed the flimsy support jacks in our greywolf 26 ft rl bumper pull.
I'm using heavy duty scissor jacks.
Can using these jacks to level really cause frame damage and can this affect the operation of the slideout?
Ernpick57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:02 AM   #2

Welcome from Conway! No, not if used properly. I had a Grey Wolf 26DBH and had to use 2-4 scissor jacks under frame to level it and secure it properly (hmmm, I still have 'em, maybe should sell them!)......... and the doors wouldn't shut properly until I did.

Not sure about removing the electric jack legs, though.........they couldn't hurt...anything helps.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:18 AM   #3

Thanks

Thanks, our's doesn't have electric jack legs. It had flimsy bolt on scissors. I don't think I will bolt on the new heavy duty ones.
Old 02-19-2017, 10:23 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Maybe... maybe not.
Stabilizers are just that stabilizers. They are not meant to level your rig.

With that said... scissor jacks really shouldn't be used to 'level' your rig either.

You should start off by leveling best you can side to side with leveling blocks under the tires/wheels. Then use your tongue jack (or landing jacks if 5th wheel) to level best you can front to rear. Then use the scissor jacks to fine tune.

If you are too far out of level to begin with and utilize only the scissor jacks to level, there is the possibility of frame twist or damage.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '18=51 '19=58 '20=110 '21=94
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:43 AM   #5

Thanks. I've been using blocks and the tongue jack, then tweeking with the scissors. Is there a visible way to determine a warped or twisted frame?
Old 02-19-2017, 04:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Maybe... maybe not.
Stabilizers are just that stabilizers. They are not meant to level your rig.

With that said... scissor jacks really shouldn't be used to 'level' your rig either.

You should start off by leveling best you can side to side with leveling blocks under the tires/wheels. Then use your tongue jack (or landing jacks if 5th wheel) to level best you can front to rear. Then use the scissor jacks to fine tune.

If you are too far out of level to begin with and utilize only the scissor jacks to level, there is the possibility of frame twist or damage.
Above is the entire process to level a vehicle or trailer. Two steps. Any departure is unnecessary and using jacks at each corner only puts the unit on a bind at the least, or bends the frame at worst.
1. Back onto boards or legos, until low side is level SIDE TO SIDE. You may have to back on and off scraping or filling the spot until that side is exactly where you want it. This is STILL step one.
2. With slides in, and stabilizing jacks up, adjust tongue jack until level front to back. Now drop stabilizing jacks and extend slides.
Chasing a level by going from one corner to the other is frustrating, unneeded, and only results in spoiling an otherwise end to a nice day.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:15 PM   #7

We have a little leveling device that is mounted just behind the trailer hitch on the frame. Had it for over 20 years, but, it is a dial type. First you back in to the spot where you want your trailer, then check the level and adjust it to level side to side. The indicator then tells you how many inches you need to raise the low wheels to get things level. We either back up or pull forward enough to put the blocks under the wheels, set down the blocks and move the trailer over them. Then unhook and adjust front to back using the same level. It's pretty quick. I would imagine they still make something like this. I've moved mine to three trailers now and it is pretty beat up but, still works. Have had to compensate for the lean of our trailer because of all slide outs being on one side, but, it still works for that as well. I can "level" with the slides in and when they are slid out, the trailer moves into the level position.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame, jacks