Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2018, 06:25 PM   #1

Surveyor Manual Slide Out Operation

I have recently purchased a used 2008 Surveyor SVF 285 RL 5th wheel. I'm trying to determine how to operate the slide outs and front jacks manually in case I have a motor problem at the campground. The Owner's Manual does not address how to operate the slide out or front jacks manually.
Slide Outs: There are 2 opposing slide outs on the rear of the RV. On the outside of the frame on each side there is a shaft that looks like the photo below. I have read on line that this is probably the shaft that manually operates the slide on the opposite side of the RV. I cannot find a tool anywhere that looks like it fits this. There is only about 10"-12" clearance between the frame and the skirt, so I think I will need a socket and a ratchet drive to operate it. Does anyone know how I can determine the manufacturer of my slide out mechanism (somewhere I found the operation manual for a Lippert slide and the parts and switch look similar to what I have) and where I can purchase a tool to operate it.
Front Leveling Jacks: Inside the battery door I have access to the back side of the motor that operates the front leveling jacks. It has a shaft/pin that looks the same as the one for the slide outs. I'm assuming that (once I locate a tool) I can operate the front jacks the same way?
The spare tire is located under the front of the RV and also has the same shaft/pin looking thing to lower the tire. I replace the spare tire recently and had to cut a notch in the end of a piece of conduit to use as a tool. I don't think that this will be strong enough for the slide outs or front jacks.
Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	File Feb 04, 6 05 22 PM.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	389.2 KB
ID:	161692  
CUTiger80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:53 PM   #2
Site Team

That the extension end for manually operating the slides. They are Lippert Through Frame slides. You can find the manual for them online.

Is there a hole in the skirting that lines up with that rod? If so then you'll need the crank handle to operate it. It has a slotted end to fit over the tube and engage the roll pin to rotate it.

You can also get a slotted drill adapter and use a cordless drill to operate the slides.

You can buy a new handle in several places. Most RV stores can get one and they're even available on Amazon.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:29 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Bama Rambler (and for taking care of those Bulldogs a few weeks back)!
I thought that they might be Lippert, from some of the photos I saw on line and in their manuals that someone else posted a link to.

There is not a hole in the skirt, so I think that I need a socket of some sort that I can use with a ratchet wrench from under the RV.
I have the same type of shaft/pin arrangement for the front landing gear motor, only it's located inside the battery compartment and I would definitely need a socket since the clearance in there is very limited.

Do you know what the procedures are to manually operate the slide outs and front landing gear? I'm assuming at a minimum that all of the power (including battery) needs to be disconnected so that the motors are free to operate. Do the motors need to be disengaged from the gears? (I just want to make sure that I don't screw up something.)
Any help/instructions would be appreciated.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:42 PM   #4
Site Team

If you strictly follow the manual you need to unhook the battery. You'll be spinning the motor with the manual crank, but it won't hurt them doing it. Lippert calls them 'manual ready'.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:51 PM   #5

Well that's good information to have.
So the shaft that I see is connected to the motor shaft itself?
I have sent an email to Lippert to see if the can help with locating a tool that will work for my RV.
I guess it would be rare for both slides to stop working and therefore you could electrically extend the one that works and then crawl under the RV and use the long handled crank (like the ones I've seen online) to operate the opposite slide (my two slide outs are exactly opposite of each other).
I still need a very short tool to manually operate the front landing gear.
Thanks again for your help.
Old 02-07-2018, 06:42 PM   #6

I have the same type connection for my slide out on a 2017 Heritage Glen. When I went and picked up the new unit I saw a hole with a grommet in it on a same type unit next to mine. Upon asking the service manager he discovered the manufacturer missed it. Under a warranty order they installed it
sut001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:44 PM   #7
Jack of All Trades

This:
Lippert Components Replacement Atwood 85385 Direct Drive Crank Drill Bit Adapter - Foot Pads, Casters & Parts - Jacks & Levelers

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:43 PM   #8

Today I called Lippert about the above. It is now a Lippert model 671450 for use on Atwood. Lippert bought Atwood. They said its for landing gear! As they said....Try it if you want.
sut001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual, slide, slide out, surveyor