Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2018, 06:53 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Not a hole lot of info !!!
Max weight ???
I use the Xtend & Climb brand. They are high-quality and the company offers numerous models for specific heights, weights and uses. They are available on Amazon.

Here is a link to their website which will provide all of the information you might need for every ladder they make. The link will take you to the particular ladder I use, but you can navigate from there to find what is good for you.

Contractor Series 15.5ft Telescoping Ladder | Xtend+Climb | Xtend+Climb Telescoping Ladders

Here is a link to their 1A ladder rated for 300 pounds:

http://xtendandclimb.com/products/te...125-300bl.html

Bruce
Old 10-06-2018, 07:34 AM   #22

We had the same issue with our 36" slide (not the 18"). But what made it annoying was when we walked around the camper is SQUEAKED!! TERRIBLE!! Drove us nuts. So DH saw how another camper solved his problem, he made a gizmo with PVC pipe, it looks like an upside down T - it's hard to explain and I can't take a picture because the camper is all closed up. When traveling we lay it down on the living room floor. He made it in 2 pieces for traveling and he then screws them together and slides them under - THEY WORK GREAT!!
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:37 AM   #23

Hi,

It always seemed to me that if you need to carry a ladder anyway -- to insert and remove beach/soccer ball kind of objects on top the slide -- you might as well skip the toppers and just brush off the top of the slide when there is debris up there.

But that's just me...

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:01 AM   #24

Nothing wrong with manually cleaning off slides. If you hook up/unhook, once a weekend every once in a while, that's great. If you hook/unhook about 70 times a year, the ease of slide toppers is awesome.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:34 AM   #25
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:

On all the rigs I've had with toppers, the water never did any damage to the fabric. It always shrinks back tight once rolled up.

I'd sooner have a little water on the topper cover than on the slide out roof. Shorter toppers never collected water.
Funny...

All the years I've owned campers (20+)...

I've never had water damage the top of my trailers or slides.

Other than the caulking aging out.

Which will happen with or without toppers.

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:00 AM   #26

Something that worked for me was an inflatable swimming pool float. Picked one up at the Dollar Store for $4.00 along with some yellow rope. I tied the rope around the float and shoved it up in the space under the topper with the rope hanging out the opening. The rope makes it easy to see and remember to pull the float before closing up plus you just pull on the rope to remove it.
But then like others, I don’t worry about it any more and just let the water drain off when I close up. Saved the rope and threw the float away.
Brinkmef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:50 PM   #27
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Funny...

All the years I've owned campers (20+)...

I've never had water damage the top of my trailers or slides.

Other than the caulking aging out.

Which will happen with or without toppers.

I suppose your campers are/have been different than the many who have posted here about slides leaking and having rotting and/or delam damage. I'm guessing they didn't find it funny though.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:03 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I use the Xtend & Climb brand. They are high-quality and the company offers numerous models for specific heights, weights and uses. They are available on Amazon.

Here is a link to their website which will provide all of the information you might need for every ladder they make. The link will take you to the particular ladder I use, but you can navigate from there to find what is good for you.

Contractor Series 15.5ft Telescoping Ladder | Xtend+Climb | Xtend+Climb Telescoping Ladders

Here is a link to their 1A ladder rated for 300 pounds:

Contractor Series 12.5ft | Contractor Series | Telescoping Ladders | Xtend+Climb Telescoping Ladders

Bruce
Thanks Bruce !!!
Nice Ladder !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:19 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I suppose your campers are/have been different than the many who have posted here about slides leaking and having rotting and/or delam damage. I'm guessing they didn't find it funny though.
Apparently so!

And by the by...if anyone has those kinds of issues, it is probably not due to having or not having slide toppers.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:38 PM   #30
Just as confused as you

I have one of those telescoping ladders, don't remember the brand. It extends to 12', holds up to 250# and collapses down to 2.5 ft. It wobbles a bit when extended but no more than any other extension ladder. I've been using it for 4yrs.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:22 PM   #31

Pool float

Just purchased a 2013 Flagstaff with. 12 ft slide with topper and it would fill up with water read several options to fix this I chose to put a pool float about 6 ft long and maybe 2 1/2 ft wide and I slide it to the middle and have had some heave rain lately and it does a fantastic job, also will fold up to a very small piece to be stored.
chudles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:00 PM   #32

I have a super slide with a topper that also collects water after a rain, what I do is after a rain I take the brush with the extending rod that I wash the rv with and extend the rod where the brush is above the cover and pull down on it and the water runs off the cover, I have been doing this for two years now and no problems with the fabric stretching works great and no ladders!
Rick Davidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:15 PM   #33

Had this problem on my LR slide in the Newmar. If it had a big puddle in it, the slide would not retract. Too much weight to lift. Yes... you can manually or electrically jack up the front or back but that may not be the ideal thing to do with the slides out. When we were in an area with rain, I just went up on top and used a regular broom to sweep it off... Worked for me...
Old 10-12-2018, 11:07 AM   #34

Hey wait a darn minute!!!! What the heck, are we supposed to design, repair & add doo-dangles to drain water off our toppers! What happened to the manufactures & Forest River for designing & installing them right in the first place. Mine also had issues, my kitchen slide (16') topper came out while traveling down the highway & got destroyed. F/R replaced it under my 1 year warranty. Only to have it happen again when I used it next. For health reasons it was over 6 months before I used it & that was for out ALCON Alaska, Canada vacation. The topper had to be tied down ever time we got back on the road & when it rained it looked like a sway back horse. Will it NEVER end, what happened to our pride in our workmanship?
Dave
snoopy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:34 AM   #35

Pride In Workmanship,,,
Not anything that is being taught anymore !!!
And very few Co. will allow a worker the time required to do good work !!!
I am very thankful I am no longer part of the workforce anymore !!!
Would like to be in better physical shape,,, but stuff happens !!!
Old 10-13-2018, 01:10 PM   #36

There is an adjuster in the topper.almost like a roll up shade.Usually takes an allen key and then you can put more tension on recoil tensioner. Good Luck, I hope this helps. Joseph
TheHappyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:12 PM   #37

We opened our borders to CHEAP LABOR......New America.
TheHappyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:14 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Apparently so!

And by the by...if anyone has those kinds of issues, it is probably not due to having or not having slide toppers.

Nope it isn’t, having a leaking slide issue now and it’s due to build issue and quality/workmanship issue. 16 months old and never thought I would be having a leaking bed slide.
soapydonutzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:16 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHappyCamper View Post
We opened our borders to CHEAP LABOR......New America.
If it is Mexican workers you speak of,,, I must disagree,,, I have worked with several Mexican workers in SO Cal many years back,,, block layers - concrete workers,,, they all did very good work,,, because no one pushed them !!!
Last Fall we had an RV port built for our MH,,, I chose a Mexican Co. to do the job,,, I am very glad I did,,, they did a GREAT JOB !!!

The problem is Pic-Work,,, the faster they get the unit off the line,,,
The more money they make !!!

We used to have a saying about Butchers in the floorcovering Bus.
We said there saying was,,, Fuzzy Side UP,,, Pay Day On Friday !!!

Quality work takes time,,, something no one has anymore !!!
Old 10-14-2018, 10:45 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post

...time,,, something no one has anymore !!!
That is because so many are hooked on too many reality TV shows!

Tags
slide, water