Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2021, 03:08 PM   #1

Water Inside Camper

I have a 2021 Wildwood FSX 170SS. We’ve taken it out about 4 times, and each time it has rained quite a bit, with no leaking issues.

However, when we got home today, there was water on the floor. When we cleaned it up, it appeared to be water mixed in with grease or lube from the slide out.

The water was also on the outside wall and bed on each side of the slide. It looks like the slide was wet from the outside and got on the inside when we brought the slide in.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Is this normal after a heavy rain? It doesn’t seem that it should be. I just wanted some opinions before I talked to the dealer about it.

Thanks!
WildWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:53 AM   #2

water inside a rig is never normal. I would check to see that the slide seals are truly wiping the sides of the slide box while in operation.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:22 AM   #3

Is there a slide topper over the slide in question? Sometimes water can pool on top of the topper and cause water to enter the camper when the slide is brought in. I use some beach balls between the slide and the topper to create a steep enough angle so the water runs off the topper instead of gathering on top.
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:48 AM   #4

I will check the seals. I’ve noticed that they sometimes don’t seem to be in the proper position when the slide is moved out. They sometimes are tucked in halfway up while the rest of it is out. Sorry! I don’t have a picture to explain that!

As far as the topper, there isn’t one. And I bet there was a pooling of water on top when I slid it back in.
Old 07-12-2021, 10:53 AM   #5

Before you pull the slide in, 2 things come to mind, firstly can you raise or lower the tongue to allow the water to roll off. Secondly, do you carry a power blower with you. We have slide toppers and under those conditions, I retract and pause for about 5 seconds and the water escapes instead of carrying inside. Seals aren't squeegee. They keep critters and debris out though
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 11:03 AM   #6

Seals do funky things and end up where they want. You can try to train them but that seldom has an affect. They go where and when they want it seems.

I say raising or lowering the tongue is a good move on your unit without toppers. Ours has toppers and as stated above, we bring the slide in some, let it drain and then continue.
whitexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:43 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWillow View Post
I will check the seals. I’ve noticed that they sometimes don’t seem to be in the proper position when the slide is moved out. They sometimes are tucked in halfway up while the rest of it is out. Sorry! I don’t have a picture to explain that!

As far as the topper, there isn’t one. And I bet there was a pooling of water on top when I slid it back in.
Our slide topper prevented water from pooling on top of the slide. We never got water coming in from the slide.
I'm a fan of slide toppers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 04:43 PM   #8

Those are great ideas that I hadn’t thought of! Lifting the tongue makes sense. I think I may also be investing in a topper.

Thanks for the feedback!

Tags
camper, water