Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2015, 04:33 PM   #1

Weak slide at start!

Hi folks, we've discussed this before! When the slide is extended and we go to pull it in, I have to push on the side the slide to get it going while my wife is pushing the switch! Once it has gone in a few inches it goes all the way in. When we go to slide it out there are no problems.
The dealer says the motor is weak and will replace it for about $600.00.
It is a Thomson Saginaw 7828696 motor. I've had no luck finding one!
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:15 PM   #2

I'm not sure I buy the weak motor theory. Granted that the motor has to start the slide from a static (sitting still) position and this does require more power and torque than when the motor is just moving the slide. Being as you state that you literally have to give the slide a "push start" I'd check, or have someone check, the mechanism on which the slide moves. I had a unit that had two rollers on which the slide traveled over. If one, or both, of these rollers would bind up just a bit the slide would not want to move. I would often extend the slide, take the weight off of the rollers and lubricate them.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:27 AM   #3

X2 on that not a weak motor. If it was you would have the same problem when it goes out. Maybe it is extending itself a little to far and can't catch the teeth on the rod. If yours has teeth. Lol
Old 03-06-2015, 10:46 AM   #4

Everyone forgets the first step in troubleshooting - check the physical layer. Get out your manual crank and work the slide out in and out with it. You will feel any drag by a change in effort to crank. If none, check that the motor gets good voltage, and if you know how to check amperage it's more telling. If these check out it's a motor problem and the Thompson - Saginaw Performance Pak motors are known to be poor. They generally are replaced with a Tuson model that costs about $220 to your door.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:25 PM   #5

Ok, I just joined, hope I'm in the right area to ask this question. I have a 2013 2250s sunseeker motor home. It has the queen bed slide out in the back. It works, but I would really like to know how to manually operate it should the motor or electricity ever fail. In the manual it shows a motor, that you can stick a socket on to accomplish this, but I do not know where the motor is or where to access it. If the slide out should ever fail to operate, I'd be stuck and unable to leave the campsite.
Nicko12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:05 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

It's a Schwintek in wall drive slide out. Here's a link to more info on it... Technical Support Center and Videos

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:29 PM   #7

It is most likely not a motor problem. the Dealer is lazy, because he does not know how to align the slide.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:47 PM   #8

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
It's a Schwintek in wall drive slide out. Here's a link to more info on it... Technical Support Center and Videos

Dave
Lippert also has a 18:1 motor. "May" be what you are looking for and a very expensive unit. Best "guess" I can provide!

Lippert Components RV Parts and Accessories|Electric Slide-Out Components
l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:34 PM   #9

Being that this is an older post I don't know if the OP fixed the problem.

I am having a similar problem and after looking at the manual and a little hunt and seek I think I have my solution: Batteries not charged enough.

When I brought unit home last weekend to get ready, I let it charge overnight until the convertor turned off. Ran the slide in and out (problem is when pulling back in) and was fine with full charge. After camping though, when cleaning up to go home, made sure unit wS still level and even connected 7-pin to truck for extra juice. Battery display was reading 12.2 and struggled to the point where I almost had to go out to help it.

The solution to my problem is to hook up an external charger (s) to charge faster than convertor can since we suck down a lot of juice- we like it warm in there! I never realized how slow the convertor charges until I had a voltage monitor and saw the numbers.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:34 PM   #10

I am currently having the exact same problem. Slide goes out fine, comes in about six inches and stops. I after a long delay it slowly starts to move. Once moving, it goes just fine. I've had it to 3 dealers and had a "mobile" rv guy look at it and they all said it does move slow but there is nothing wrong. I've had the unit since 2008 and it has only starting doing this in the spring of this year so I know there is some thing wrong. Battery tests good and all connections appear to be fine as well...Thoughts?
Nitrobaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide